Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree89Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 09:31

Sparky, what forecast do you use?

I always find the BBC one more optimistic than the Spanish government one but generally less accurate. Would you agreee?

Thinking of coming over towards the end of this week but The Spanish forecast has rain on Friday and Sunday which would impact on my plans.
Sponsored Links
Old 31-12-2018, 10:32
Super Moderator

Hola y buenos días mis amigos. We have another beautiful morning but with a chilly N wind .

The pressure is 1029.
The UV index is 1.
The humidity is 65%.
The temperature is 13.5c in the shade and 15c in the sun.
The forecast for tomorrow is for sun.
Yesterday's low was 9.2c and the high was 19.5c.
Old 31-12-2018, 10:41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
Sparky, what forecast do you use?

I always find the BBC one more optimistic than the Spanish government one but generally less accurate. Would you agreee?

Thinking of coming over towards the end of this week but The Spanish forecast has rain on Friday and Sunday which would impact on my plans.
Hoopy, i look at a few forecasts including the BBC and AEMETes. Rain was forecast for Thursday and Friday last week but it didn't happen so i wouldn't let it stop your plans, accurate forecasting is not easy on an island .
pollensa and lollipop like this.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
Sparky, would you say this year has been the poorest you've known in regards to rainfall?

What do the records say?
Interesting report from the MDB :-

Quote:
2018 was the third wettest year on record

Although there are not yet definitive data for December, Aemet reports that 2018 was the third wettest year since the current system of record-keeping began.

There was hardly any rain in December, meaning that 2018 has been pushed down to third. Up to the end of November, 2018 had been the second wettest year, surpassed only by 1969. Aemet says that 2018 was among the five wettest years since 1965 and the three wettest this century.

The autumn was when rainfall was at its heaviest. September had started out dry and ended with there having been 29% less rain than usual. In October, on the other hand, there was 26% more rain than normal, while November had 32% more.

The most intense rainfall was registered on 9 October - 232.8 litres per square metre in four hours were recorded at the Colonia Sant Pere weather station. This rainfall was what led to the tragic deaths of thirteen people on that day.
Full article here :- https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...ar-record.html
Old 02-01-2019, 11:22

I would say that it has been a very wet year which has hampered the gardening work this past winter.

Judging by the level of the resevoirs when I saw them 2 weeks ago they look as if they are nearly at full capacity.
Sparky likes this.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:25
Super Moderator

December weather stats from the MDB :-

Quote:
December was warmer and drier than usual.

December in the Balearics was slightly warmer than usual and was also drier than normal. The average temperature was 12.4C, which was 0.8C warmer, while there were five fewer rainy days than usual in Majorca, six fewer in Minorca and two fewer in Ibiza. The average of 12.4C matched that of Majorca. In Minorca and Formentera the average was higher - up to 13.3C in Formentera - and lower in Ibiza (11.8C).

The highest temperatures were between 3 and 6 December, with the maximum having been 25.2C in Calvia on 4 December. Some local records were beaten. The Portopi (Palma) weather station, 23.1C on 9 December, was an example. The coldest temperature was -1.9C at the Son Torrella (Escorca) weather station on 18 December.

Average rainfall across the Balearics was 30.8 litres per square metre. Minorca was the driest island. There was an average of 22.1 litres, 64% lower than usual. in Majorca it was 32.4 litres, 51% lower. The wettest day was 14 December, and the wettest place was the Sa Vinyassa station in Soller with 86.5 litres per square metre.
Story is here :- https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...han-usual.html