Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree167Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-2018, 09:29
Super Moderator

All of the business owners i have talked to will disagree with El Pais .
debz1, pollensafan and Papillon like this.
Old 30-08-2018, 20:08

The El Pais article seems to be about tourism in Spain generally and not specifically about Mallorca.

An article quoting projected figures and reports may not be something to rely on really. Talking to some of the local bar & restaurant owners, as Sparky says, unfortunately is painting a worrying picture, especially as the lower takings may not see them through till next year.
Sharonh, debz1, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 31-08-2018, 07:39

Do not forget that PP is unique on the island. It is the only resort where private lettings outnumbered hotel beds by a long way and therefore has suffered the most from the recent changes.
Old 31-08-2018, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Do not forget that PP is unique on the island. It is the only resort where private lettings outnumbered hotel beds by a long way and therefore has suffered the most from the recent changes.
Shot and foot seem to go together
Old 02-09-2018, 18:11

I was speaking to a restaurant owner the other night and he said he had had a busier August than last year and when we were there it was very busy. So obviously some are doing better than others.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:24

The nice folks who run our local - Bodeguita - tell us that the overall volume seems to be about the same, but the mix is different. Many more Germans, far fewer brits. Who knows?

Still one of the best authentic spots in town, if you'd like to restore the balance
Tommo, Bekki and Hanser like this.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:23

Default more stats ...

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...cent-july.html

Quote:
Foreign tourism in the Balearics fell in July by 2.2% compared with July 2017. There was something over 2.4 million tourists in all. Meanwhile, total tourist spending was down by a very similar percentage - 2.1% - to 2,851 million euros.

The UK supplied the Balearics with the most tourists - 28.1%, followed by Germany with 26.6%.

The Balearics had the most overnight stays - almost 16.4 million, which was a decrease of almost 12% compared with last year. Although total tourist spending fell, there was a 0.1% rise in average spend per tourist (1,173 euros). The average daily spend was up by 11.3% to 175 euros. But the average length of stay decreased by ten per cent to 6.7 days.

full article and figures on the MDB website
Hanser likes this.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:36

The article seems to based on a blend from two different sources. The Egatur survey provided the duration and spend data and is sample-based (127,000 tourists). Frontur provided the volumes.

The statistically-significant conclusion; people are making the same number of visits and spending roughly the same per day but for shorter stays.

This isn't consistent with their claim that total spend is pretty much unchanged.

In my view, the move to shorter stays is due to the availability of cheap flights and second-holiday competition from countries formerly on the Foreign Office Travel Advice lists.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:55

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...-per-cent.html

Quote:
Foreign tourism in the Balearics over the first eight months of the year fell by 0.8%. Data from the Frontur survey of tourist movements state that there were 10.2 million foreign tourists up to the end of August, the second highest accumulated number in the country after Catalonia with 13.4 million. ...

Average tourist spending in the Balearics over the eight months rose by 1.5%, with the daily average spending have gone up by nine per cent to 160 euros. The UK accounted for the largest share of the tourism market in August - 29.5% - followed by Germany with 27.4%. Overall foreign tourism in the Balearics in August fell by two per cent to around 2.3 million. ...

UK tourism up to August went down by 2.9%. German tourism slipped by 5.8%. Tourist spending, however, was up by 2.8%. UK tourist spending rose by 4.6% in August, whereas German spending was down by 3.4%.

... the focus is now on a tourism of quality rather than quantity. Spending, she added, should be the indicator used to measure the strength of the tourism industry.
Shaun&Caro likes this.
Old 03-10-2018, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dublin View Post
... the focus is now on a tourism of quality rather than quantity. Spending, she added, should be the indicator used to measure the strength of the tourism industry.
Hear, Hear!
Old 03-10-2018, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPALCOVER View Post
Hear, Hear!
Fine if you can afford it . For some PP is out of the question. I am not new to PP having had many happy family holidays over the last 20 years. Oh well, sure there are places around that we will be welcomed. I could go on but what is the point. Those in the money and power have got what they wanted.
pollensafan, car77 and Roy&Myra like this.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:17

Quote:
Hear, Hear!
Keep your fingers crossed and with any luck you'll reach the point where one person is spending the equivalent to a restaurant full of people.

Then you can have the place all to yourself and believe me, I'm holding back from what I would actually like to say.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:52

I would like to believe that each and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, preferably expressed courteously.
alcanadakid likes this.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:04

Quote:
I would like to believe that each and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, preferably expressed courteously.
Exactly, which is why I kept my reply civil to your suggestion of social cleansing and no matter how you skirt around it, that it was you are asking for in PP.

Just shows how ironic life can be because my late wife and I were the exact model of tourist you want.
The only thing we consumed in the apartment was breakfast and even that was bought in local shops.

From then on everything else (lunch, evening meal, drinks) was consumed in restaurants.

However, we realised PP was not there solely for our benefit and that it was the total divergence of tourist that made the place what it was.
favie, Rosie34, car77 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by pollensafan; 04-10-2018 at 09:21.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensafan View Post
Exactly, which is why I kept my reply civil to your suggestion of social cleansing and no matter how you skirt around it, that it was you are asking for in PP.

Just shows how ironic life can be because my late wife and I were the exact model of tourist you want.
The only thing we consumed in the apartment was breakfast and even that was bought in local shops.

From then on everything else (lunch, evening meal, drinks) was consumed in restaurants.

However, we realised PP was not there solely for our benefit and that it was the total divergence of tourist that made the place what it was.
Is that to include all inclusive hotels?
Closed Thread