Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I am pretty sure it only applies to single trips.
Sparky, thanks. I will discuss with my aparthotel next month and keep you advised of results.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-08-2019, 16:39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Sparky, thanks. I will discuss with my aparthotel next month and keep you advised of results.
Please do Miller .
Old 31-10-2019, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birty View Post
Ok Thanks for info, Interesting stuff.. I do wonder where the cash goes. Lets hope it does go to the green issues as intended?
Not quite, as it seems...

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...decisions.html

Quote:
Following the announcement of how 2019 tourist tax revenue is to be spent, environmentalists Amics de la Terra (Friends of the Earth) and GOB issued a joint statement in which they described the management of the tourist tax as a "fraud". The statement said that "the management of the tax is a fraud in terms of the initial spirit of the sustainable tourism tax and the purposes for which it was conceived".

The Arca heritage association called the tax a "hotch-potch" that is being used to fill holes in the government's budget. ...

Felib is the federation of town halls. Its secretary, Neus Serra, said that the town halls are wasting their time in presenting project proposals for receiving tourist tax funding. None of the 36 projects submitted by town halls are to get funding.

Jordi Mora, president of the Pimem small to medium-sized businesses federation, believed that tourists are being tricked into thinking that tourist tax-funded projects are for alleviating the impact of tourism on the environment. In this regard, he referred to the use of tax revenue for the extension of the Palma Metro and for social housing. "We are lying to visitors; this tax is becoming a mere collection tool."

... A chief criticism is the fact that spending decisions are already made by the government before they are discussed by the committee, membership of which is weighed in the government's favour.
see full article on the MDB website
Old 31-10-2019, 10:18

So we tourists are just cash cows to fund Mallorca's treasury, and to not help environmental issues on the Island.
Old 31-10-2019, 10:21

This has just reminded me - we had to pay cash tourist tax in June, but on our last trip (different accommodation) there was no mention of it
Old 31-10-2019, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Please do Miller .
Sparky, sorry I meant to advise you of my discussions earlier. I had various chats with different levels of management at the aparthotel in September. The general responses varied. The example that I used was for a 14 day stay in one resort/aparthotel followed by a transfer to another resort/aparthotel. My query was that as I would have paid the higher rate for the initial period at the first resort, is and if so why is the higher rate payable roe the initial period at the second resort.
I never got the same answer twice. I gave up in the end. What did surprise me was that some stated that if they, Spanish National living in the port went to say Palma for a break, they were often also charged the tax which was easier to pay than argue about.
Any thoughts? I do not mind paying the tax providing it goes to the correct place and is not kept in full or part by the aparthotel.
Regards
Old 31-10-2019, 12:10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Sparky, sorry I meant to advise you of my discussions earlier. I had various chats with different levels of management at the aparthotel in September. The general responses varied. The example that I used was for a 14 day stay in one resort/aparthotel followed by a transfer to another resort/aparthotel. My query was that as I would have paid the higher rate for the initial period at the first resort, is and if so why is the higher rate payable roe the initial period at the second resort.
I never got the same answer twice. I gave up in the end. What did surprise me was that some stated that if they, Spanish National living in the port went to say Palma for a break, they were often also charged the tax which was easier to pay than argue about.
Any thoughts? I do not mind paying the tax providing it goes to the correct place and is not kept in full or part by the aparthotel.
Regards
It is true that residents have to pay the tax if they stay at a hotel. I don't think hotels keep any of the tax, it is passed on to the government but there is some debate as to what they are using it for.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:43

Palma Metro extension, Balearic Symphony Orchestra's new headquarters and social housing projects - all for 'sustainable tourism'?

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...decisions.html

Quote:
Opposition parties attacked tourist tax revenue spending decisions in the Balearic parliament yesterday. They accused the government of using the revenue to fill gaps in the budget, with the Partido Popular's Nuria Riera describing as a "joke" the manner in which decisions are made. Tourists believe they are paying for environmental recovery, when they are not.

Jaume Font of El Pi said that the purpose of the tax had been "perverted" and reserved particular criticism for the failure to fund projects proposed by town halls (with the exception of Palma). "The town halls are wasting their time."

Responding to these charges, the vice-president and minister for energy transition Juan Pedro Yllanes emphasised that the tax continues to have the purposes that were intended. There is investment in "strategies for tourism in the long term", and he defended the spending of the tax on the Palma Metro extension and the Balearic Symphony Orchestra's new headquarters.

Pilar Costa, minister for the presidency, dismissed the accusation that the tax is being used to cover gaps in government spending capability. This accusation is made every year, she maintained, and believed that arguments boiled down to "differences of opinion" regarding, for example, the use of the tax for social housing projects.
see full article on the MDB website