Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree41Likes
  • 2 Post By Major Tom
  • 1 Post By Disorderly
  • 3 Post By animagic21
  • 4 Post By Molt de Renou
  • 6 Post By Jonsey
  • 4 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Molt de Renou
  • 3 Post By Disorderly
  • 8 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By Disorderly
  • 1 Post By tangofan
  • 3 Post By Diver Val
  • 2 Post By Nick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 09:56

Post Lookee lookee sellers

Had to laugh last night as police arrived on the end of pine walk with their backs to a street seller who scuttled onto the beach waiting until the coast was clear.
PP does not need these people, who obviously don't earn a living from cheap Chinese toys and sun glasses ! This has gone on for years here, unlike Palma Police that have taken more action to remove these people from the streets see news in the Buletin today. Hope something is done one day,as the shop keepers need the business to exist here.
Nick and Tommo like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 13-09-2016, 17:21

If visitors didn't buy stuff from them they would go away. Make it an offence to purchase from unlicenced street sellers, arrest half a dozen tourists, publicise it, job done! LOL
debz1 likes this.
Old 13-09-2016, 19:01

We love Mohammed, have known him for many years. He takes all the money he earns back to his family in Senegal. Have found his watches to be reliable,(mainly)!! He is a lovely man.
Joanne, Chelseadons and Bekki like this.
Old 14-09-2016, 10:22

Spent many a happy night with a drink at the Sis Pins watching them all.
Old 14-09-2016, 11:30

I´m sure that the legal traders who have to pay rent, taxes, rubbish collection, VAT, watch out for shoplifters, and, to add insult to injury, pay income tax on any profits made, do as well.

I suppose we should be grateful that he hasn´t bought his family over here as well so they could live off the state for the next 20 years.

I don´t expect to get many "likes"
Disorderly, bevgt, Nick and 1 others like this.
Old 14-09-2016, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
I´m sure that the legal traders who have to pay rent, taxes, rubbish collection, VAT, watch out for shoplifters, and, to add insult to injury, pay income tax on any profits made, do as well.

I suppose we should be grateful that he hasn´t bought his family over here as well so they could live off the state for the next 20 years.

I don´t expect to get many "likes"
Yes, Molt, you’re absolutely right…no ‘like’ from me! I do you find your comments on many a forum topic well over the top. We all have our opinions, but I do think you tend to voice yours in a rather rude manner at times. You obviously know Mohammed and his family history? So easy to make sweeping statements before knowing the facts.
Personally, I've never been tempted to purchase anything from one of these sellers, but they've never caused me any harm.
Old 14-09-2016, 13:16
Banned

The problem is that none of us really know who they are or their real reasons for being in Mallorca. I have no problem with someone trying to earn an honest decent living but as MdR says they pay no rent etc and as to whether they pay taxes, well there you go. Some of them can be quite persuasive, some may say aggressive. I've seen it with mild threats almost. They can be intimidating.
The joke is though that if the police catch them in the act they confiscate their tat. Why do they let them walk round with it in the first place? Either legalise it and make them pay taxes, rent etc or make it illegal full stop.
Old 14-09-2016, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Yes, Molt, you’re absolutely right…no ‘like’ from me! I do you find your comments on many a forum topic well over the top. We all have our opinions, but I do think you tend to voice yours in a rather rude manner at times. You obviously know Mohammed and his family history? So easy to make sweeping statements before knowing the facts.
Personally, I've never been tempted to purchase anything from one of these sellers, but they've never caused me any harm.
"Over the top" and "rude" obviously means that you do not agree with them.

Fair enough. But I have the same right to express them as you do to not to agree with them.

You may not have been into Palma recently, and most probably not to Barcelona or Madrid.

The lookee lookee men, or manteros as the spanish call them, are increaseingly becoming a major problem in these cities, many times taking the law into their own hands due to their presumed safety in numbers.

They are also major traffickers in drugs, in many places having taken over from their spanish (gypsy ) counterparts.

I am sure Mohammed is a very fine fellow indeed and provides hours of entertainment for those who don´t need to use the spanish national health service or pay for the country´s security and policing costs.

And what harm can one man do ?, But if it were 2, or 4 or 10 or 20 ?. When does one start saying enough is enough ?.

And have you ever asked yourself why there are no discoteques ( except for one small one ) in Puerto Pollensa ?.

Nor have I, but lets keep it that way.

Molt
Nick likes this.

Last edited by Molt de Renou; 14-09-2016 at 17:21.
Old 14-09-2016, 17:20

I'm fully with Molt. Unlicenced street selling is illegal....end of. When I'm sitting with my family having an enjoyable time, having these people constantly pestering is a royal pain in the posterior. I'm never rude, just firm, but if I want something I'll go and buy it in a shop thanks, especially as much if the street stuff is counterfeit (also illegal I think). The street equivalent of unsolicited phone calls....just plain rude in my book.

PS - Bet this thread gets closed down. LOL😇😂
Nick, copper and Molt de Renou like this.
Old 15-09-2016, 11:55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
PS - Bet this thread gets closed down. LOL😇😂
Only if you children don't play nicely .
CathB, Joanne, Lorenzo and 5 others like this.
Old 15-09-2016, 17:10

As I said we have watched them for many years but have never been pestered by any of them.
Old 15-09-2016, 17:25

Promise to be a good boy! ��
Sparky likes this.
Old 15-09-2016, 20:00

We have always found that they go away if you say you are not interested or just don't catch their eye if they wander near your table. I do worry about the hair braiding ladies though - I have seen small girls almost in tears when having this done as it looks like torture and can't be good for the hair. There is no way I would have let my daughter have it done
Tommo likes this.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:13

Hope you don't mind if I change the theme, but we observed four local police with the resource of two police cars ( and there were probably more) patrolling the sea front most likely on the lookout for these people. In my opinion, they would be better serving the community if they now and again patrolled the park/woodland area at avenue Bochorris occupied most of the day by a group of undesirables openly drinking making unacceptable noise and unrinating all times of day and night. Little wonder the children's play area is nearly deserted and the residents are exasperated that the authorities do nothing.
CathB, debz1 and Bekki like this.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:20
Banned

I totally agree with you about them patrolling other areas as well. I'd imagine there's more police on the square and front due to increased terrorism threats and possible strikes on coastal resorts. A major player in ISIS was captured in Palma a few months ago.
Possible explanation. There certainly was a lot more of them about.
debz1 and Tommo like this.