Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree23Likes
  • 8 Post By STOXIE
  • 1 Post By Harters
  • 3 Post By Molt de Renou
  • 4 Post By copper
  • 5 Post By kate1
  • 1 Post By copper
  • 1 Post By Harters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-2016, 15:58

Default 3 year gap.

We have just returned from the port after an 8 day holiday. I thought I would share a few observations on our first visit for 3 years. Firstly still a fantastic place to visit! We had a great time despite a couple of cold days. The restaurants were good but I thought the prices had shot up. One of our favourite's set night time menu had risen from 12 to 18 euro. The quality was still great but a lot more expensive. In contrast Cellar La Parra had the same prices (including the wonderful wine) and was by some way the best meal we had. It was also good to see new reasonably priced menus. We are not super rich and to spend 20 euro on a single plate is expensive. I think I also witnessed a sad change! We were overlooking a beach by Joker's. We went to sleep with the blue sunbeds that have been there for the 17 years we have been visiting and woke up to new brown ones. Are we the only people who think 22 euro is a lot for 2 beds and a parasol? I have noticed on the forum that there have been comments on sun loungers. I thought the people were friendlier than ever.
JUst a few observations.
Mark, joey36, Lorenzo and 5 others like this.
Old 20-07-2016, 16:39

VAT has increased from 8% to 10% so that will account for some of it, whilst indirect taxes such as company taxes ( which are going up again this year ) and income tax have also increased.

I suppose it´s one of the joys of being a member of the EU and using ( having to ) the Euro.

Staff costs and rents have remained pretty stable, so they won´t account for the supposed increased prices.

A major factor is always the length of the season. Businesses have to make a 12 months living from 8 months work, and this is factored into the price.
Old 21-07-2016, 18:20

As anywhere, prices reflect demand. Pollensa is even more popular due to "events" in other tourist destinations. Hardly surprising that prices increase accordingly, not least as MdR says, it is not a 12 month resort.
kate1 likes this.
Old 21-07-2016, 18:29
Banned

I'd call price increases due to "events in other countries" taking advantage of the consumer. People have long memories and if countries such as Turkey, Greece, Egypt etc. start attracting holidaymakers again Mallorca could pay for its greed.
Old 21-07-2016, 19:08

Nick, I don't think one can only lay the blame on the locals. Irish and British airlines aren't slow in bumping up prices if they think they can get away with it.

Sometimes price isn't the major deciding factor. Value for money is.

I have several majorcan friends who love going to London although they know it will cost them an arm and a leg. Even so, they consider the money well spent.
kate1, pansy potter and copper like this.
Old 22-07-2016, 08:10

We eat out a lot at home and always on holiday and feel PP has some very good restaurants and for what they offer good value for money

Wine in restaurants is much better priced than Restaurants here Yesterday a small glass of wine where I had lunch £6.50 !! One drink in a Bar in PP is about 3 times the measure you get here and Bonys even more !!

There are still some great value for money places about Places like Can Ferra give you huge amounts of food at very reasonable prices

I cant imagine what it is like to make all your money for the year in such a short space of time

We always feel when we go to Lanzarote you dont get the same pleasant friendly service you get in PP as they have visitors all year round and get taken for granted

The pound euro is not helping but hope eventaully things will settle

Totally agree about the sunbeds fiasco though !
kate1, Luckyone, Tommo and 1 others like this.
Old 22-07-2016, 21:00

Smile

Where is Can Ferra? I do not want anyone to think I am moaning-merely observations. I love the place and accept prices will be higher on holiday. I just noticed quite a leap in prices. Places that seemed quite expensive 3 years ago now seem quite reasonable-it is the others that have "caught up." I agree about events in the world affecting Mallorca as I have never seen it so busy in early July. Bony's-as always the best. His lunch time pint is really good value and what fun! Just about my favourite bit-a cana and rei boccadillio and some "interesting" chat. ( sorry if I have misspelt the bocadillio!)
Old 22-07-2016, 21:58

I agree that some restaurants have become more expensive but I still think that compared to the UK it is very good value. Certainly wine either by the glass or by the bottle is a bargain. We tend to try and eat out at lunchtime and choose the set menu, or opt for restaurants with a menu del dia available all day, such as Stay. I'd defy anyone to find a restaurant in the UK with a similar setting and ambience which offers a three course meal, including bread, amuse bouche, wine, water, coffee and an after-dinner liqueur or brandy, for 36 euros. And the same goes for La Llonja.
debz1, LK1960, Rangers1 and 2 others like this.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:13

Totally agree on Stay Never been anywhere that you have the quality of service food and setting and value on their set menu Quite often find here that if you had what seems to be a reasonable set menu you would be fleeced for coffee and if you wante a Liquer it certainly wouldnt be included but extortinate and never had wine included !

Can Ferrar is up what I call a little alleyway opposite the Marina Taxi Rank past the Tabac Didnt visit in June but it seemed very busy They are very generous with their portions What attracted us to it was years ago walking past one evening and seeing their Sole filling a plate and chips and veg had to go on another !! Sole is one of my favourite fish and is always expensive in most places but not sure of the exact price there but so cheap Saw someone have lamb once and it looked like the Sunday joint !!

I think there are more high end Rests in PP now than there were I didnt think you were complaining but prob if you hadnt been for 3 years inflation has happened everywhere

If I eat out with friends for lunch we sometimes go to the Prezzo chain of Rests Love their Caesar salad but think there prices have risen dramatically and they downsize the meal so you have to buy more !They do lots of vouchers and offers and probably need to !

Just think perhaps with the pound bouncing it might need more investigation
especially for families I have seen mentions on Trip Adv of asking for val for money Rests

It is the only place we go each year where we are spoiled for choice for Rests
and have to make lists fo where to go We went to Rhodes for a few years and there it was a case which one was the least bad and boring !
Tommo likes this.
Old 23-07-2016, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
I'd defy anyone to find a restaurant in the UK with a similar setting and ambience which offers a three course meal, including bread, amuse bouche, wine, water, coffee and an after-dinner liqueur or brandy, for 36 euros.
Pretty much impossible with the amount of tax/duty on alcohol in the UK. Take the booze out of the equation and you'd find many well priced meals in the UK, easily comparable with what would probably be their booze-exclusive price. I don't drink alcohol, so an inclusive meal for me is a complete waste on that score.
lollipop likes this.