Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Car purchase (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/12828-car-purchase.html)

rebel 18-05-2016 14:30

Car purchase

Hi All
I looked at bringing a Lhd car over to the port, but have now decided to purchase in Majorca, can some one help with advice on the system, pitfalls and any recommended people to purchase from private or trade.
I fly out next week for three weeks.
Regards
Rebel

El Gordo 18-05-2016 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel (Post 111650)
Hi All
I looked at bringing a Lhd car over to the port, but have now decided to purchase in Majorca, can some one help with advice on the system, pitfalls and any recommended people to purchase from private or trade.
Regards
Rebel

Google :- autocasionmallorca.com.

For some ideas :cool:

Molt de Renou 18-05-2016 17:09

I think the first question we should be asking is how many weeks / months of the year do you plan to use it ?.

rebel 19-05-2016 08:45

Hi Molt
I'm looking to spend no more than 3k the cheaper the better as it will be only used for about 3 months of the year. And will be parked outside when not in use.
Regards
Rebel

Nick 19-05-2016 08:49

I think if it were me for just 3 months usage, even if continuous, I'd hire a car. I'm sure you'd get some very good deals from the lesser known car hire companies.

€3000 will buy you nothing decent in Mallorca I can tell you. One option is to buy on the mainland where an expat may be desperate to sell but I'm not sure if you'll pay anything on top to get it to Mallorca? It's very expensive to buy on the island. Then factor in insurance, servicing, parts, ITV testing etc.

Just my opinion of course.

Sparky 19-05-2016 09:19

Rebel, when buying privately you need to check with the police that there are no outstanding fines attached to it because when you buy a car you also take on any unpaid fines.

Molt de Renou 19-05-2016 09:56

I agree with Nick, especially if some of the months are not in the high season, when one can sometimes hire a car for little more than the cost of the insurance and IVA.

Sparky is right, but I think that the office in charge of transferring the car papers canīt do it unless all fines and taxes are up to date. I think they also ask for an uptodate MOT ( ITV )

alcanadakid 19-05-2016 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel (Post 111650)
Hi All
Regards
Rebel

I have sent you a PM

rebel 13-06-2016 16:55

Update
Done the figures after looking at a few cars, and talking to a couple of car hire companies, with the extra discounts offered Nick & Molt are right a lot cheaper with out the headache of being a owner.
Thanks
Lads.