Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Mallorca (& Barcelona) on BBC2 this Friday Evening (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/12539-mallorca-barcelona-bbc2-friday-evening.html)

pollensa 26-11-2015 13:19

Mallorca (& Barcelona) on BBC2 this Friday Evening

Forget Black Friday tomorrow and watch an episode of Great Continental Railway Journeys with Michael Portillo - Barcelona to Mallorca featuring the Soller railway.

"Steered by his 1913 Bradshaw's Guide, Michael Portillo returns to Spain to trace the early 20th-century roots of the Spanish Civil War, which divided his Spanish family and sent his father into exile.

He discovers a nation fractured at the time by social tensions and regional loyalties, which today offers a rich diversity of cultures to delight the tourist.

Special dispensation to fly to the Balearic island of Mallorca allows Michael to spoil himself rotten with spectacularly scenic rides aboard a sublime 1912 vintage railway and a 1913 tram.

On his travels, he is trampled underfoot at the bottom of a Catalan people steeple and learns to make the perfect paella. He pays homage to the genius of Barcelona's most famous architect and meets the man responsible for finishing off Antoni Gaudi's life's work. And he discovers a beautiful art nouveau Palace of Music with an emotional history."

BBC2 10pm - see BBC Two - Great Continental Railway Journeys, Series 4, Barcelona to Mallorca

Tangoman 26-11-2015 13:31

Thanks for that Pollensa, I will be watching that avidly,now that I know that it is on!!! I watch this programme quite frequently, and often wonder " When did Bradshaw actually spend some time at home?? "

Anyway, thanks for the tip, and I hope not to be too jealous!!!

Carol 26-11-2015 15:31

Excellant series - all episodes worth a watch but we have been waiting for this one!

tangofan 27-11-2015 19:16

BBC2 running late this evening because of tennis, I am waiting for It takes Two (Strictly) to come on so I hope they don't they don't cut the railway programme out!

Tangoman 27-11-2015 23:09

Thanks Pollensa!! Just finished watching that programme - loved it, as we have been to Barcelona a few times on wedding anniversaries, No. 1 son went to university in Valencia for a year, and of course we have been to Majorca many, many times. Absolutely wonderful programme!!! Brilliant!!

sws97sdg 27-11-2015 23:50

Fantastic programme so great to see so many familiar places

scotslizzy 29-11-2015 18:17

Great Prog

Just sitting watching this last night with a glass of wine transported me back to sunnier days. A great advertisement for Majorca.

Scotslizzy

mike_dublin 30-11-2015 10:55

1.7m Britons watch Portillo roll into Puerto Soller » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin

Nearly two million people switched over to BBC2 on Friday night to watch Michael Portillo bring his latest series of Great Continental Railway Journeys to an end in Puerto Soller.

[see full article on MDB website]