Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Don't get caught out (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/12251-dont-get-caught-out.html)

Fencer 29-06-2015 23:45

Don't get caught out

well what can I say. We were out tonight with friends doing the tourist thing and we got caught out twice in one evening with being over charged. Firstly in Bonys where we ordered 1 pint 1 Mojito 1 pint of Magners and 1 diet coke. The bill came to 20. 20 expensive enough but we were over charged. We actually paid for 2 pints 1 Mojito 1 pint of Magners. Upon querying, the reply was blatant to say the least no checking of bill no checking of order slip no checking with waitress. THEY NEW... How many tables does Bonys have. Think about it and times that by say 2.00 euros per table. GOT YA. Then the Taxi home the driver went the long way round. I know where I live. And I know the shortest quickest way. It's not very often I use taxis but with the missus having a dodgy hip and the need arising we went on tour of puerto Pollensa even though I directed him to where we wanted to be dropped off. Holiday makers beware. We live in this town and don't always use the facilities on offer. But tonight we did and got over charged on 2 occasions. On both cases I discussed my situation with proprietor and driver and was refunded the difference. However imagine if I was on holiday and tasted the tourist experience for a week. How much money would I be out of pocket!?????

Nick 30-06-2015 08:41

Oh dear. Not a good sign. There's not much worse than the feeling of being ripped off. Make no mistake, if done deliberately it's theft. There is no place for that and I always check my bill but will do so more carefully now.

If this is a trend then tourists will vote with their feet. Thanks for posting the info.

Belladonna 30-06-2015 09:29

This is always a problem in high season:mad: ! Its good that you were savvy enough to know what was going on Fencer, many tourists are having too good a time to know or care - which is obviously why it works!
The other worry is when people go as a large group, which we will be doing, including toddlers. You just don't have the time, or the inclination to check your bill that closely at the end of the evening, even with the best of intentions. And its the drinks that pile on the cost. Did you have 2 or 3 G&T's ?
May have to take out a second mortgage for this holiday!! :o

pollensafan 01-07-2015 14:28

If I may be so bold as to question one part of your post, Re Bonys. You have made a massive leap from their overcharge on your bill, to the fact that they are doing it to everybody. That's is quite some assumption if you don't mind my saying.

kate1 01-07-2015 14:41

It's my experience that some taxi drivers do this to tourists the world over - it's annoying, but not that uncommon.

I have been overcharged in PP (though not in Bonys) - I have also been undercharged - I'm pretty sure the undercharging outnumbers the overcharging, though neither has happened very often. Apart from on one occasion (Can Josep) I have put it down to a simple mistake - bars and restaurants are often frantically busy (Bonys in particular). Bonys has a lot of very loyal customers, including many who live in PP - surely if they blatantly overcharged customers on a regular basis the punters would vote with their feet? I don't think anyone on this forum has ever mentioned this being an issue before so hopefully it is just a one-off. I like to think I am not being naive....

sws97sdg 01-07-2015 14:53

The taxi fairs are a fixed price if you go from rank to rank, so you can always check the fare before you travel, remember its dearly after a set time also, 11.30 or 12 I think, and fares during fiestas are dearer too!

Fencer 01-07-2015 17:55

If I honestly thought it was a one off mistake then I would not have posted.