Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 14:35

Default Dog Pooh

I was lucky to have visited Puerto Pollensa for 10 wonderful days just after Christmas and over New Year. I have spent many holidays in PP over the last 10 years.
I was disgusted at the amount of dog pooh around. I did see plenty of dog owners pick up and bin but there must be so many who don't. It is so sad as Puerto Pollensa is so beautiful. There are plenty of bins and also pooh bags provided free beside some of the bins.
It is not only unsightly but could also be dangerous to children if they were to fall or touch it as they could lose their sight.
It makes me so angry and sad. When I first visited the port 10years ago I remember all the shops would open in the morning and wash the street outside their stores.
Shame on the dog owners who don't care!!
Rosie34, Nick and Tangoman like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 13-01-2014, 14:42

The council are just launching a new site available from Mobile phones which allows people to lodge complaints about these sort of issues.
Old 13-01-2014, 15:07

Great lets hope it works !
Old 11-02-2015, 15:18

Hi all. I know there has always been a thread on dog fouling in the Port and that this link is over 12 months old, but I thought some of you may be interested in this letter I came across today in a local newspaper The Northumberland Gazette (as it appears Northumberland also suffers from the same problem). A local resident, who visits Benidorm regularly commented as follows:

Quote "All dogs in Benidorm must be registered, must be chipped and must have their DNA recorded.

This information is held by the town hall. It is also reproduced on a card, which must be carried by the dog owner when walking the dog. Failure to do so incurs a fine of, I think, 150 euro, failure to micro chip costs 100 euro.

The walking owner must also be carrying ‘poo bags’. Owners of dogs caught fouling the pavement are subject to a spot fine of 150 euro.

There is also a ‘brown brigade’ (brigada marron) which takes samples of fouling found on the streets and checks the DNA in the poo.

As all dogs have their DNA recorded, the owners can be prosecuted easily, to the tune of 1,000 euro.

Dog mess in Benidorm has been reduced by 60 per cent according to the town hall, which is now taking steps to eliminate the smell left by urinating dogs.

The brigade will hand out spray bottles – big or small depending on the size of the dog – which owners will be asked to fill with water and a few drops of bleach. They should then spray lamp-posts, bollards, trees or wherever their pets have cocked their legs.

Benidorm town hall has so far earned itself 25,000 euro" End Quote.

If Benidorm town hall has earned that amount of income from implementing such a scheme, I am more than surprised that Pollensa council hasn't jumped on this!

Bluejr77
Nick, eleanor and Euromart Express like this.
Old 11-02-2015, 15:54

Owners of dogs caught fouling the pavement are subject to a spot fine of 150 euro.

On island time!!
Old 11-02-2015, 16:40
Banned

Excellent example set in Benidorm then. Can't believe anyone in PP has been fined €150 though because dog mess is everywhere, unless dog owners are rich enough not to care?
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:54

Spraying urine with bleach is taking it just a bit too far, cant imagine that's good for trees!
Old 12-02-2015, 10:15
Banned

Can't imagine dog urine is too good for a tree either?! Anything's worth a try and shouldn't be knocked. Well done Benidorm ajuntament.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:40

Just a personal view point NPN, in all my years of walking both with a dog and without i have never smelled dog urine, but i have smelled human urine, usually around door ways in towns. Admittedly I haven't had the pleasure of walking a dog in a hot climate, maybe urine does smell then? Has anyone on the forum noticed?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:02

I dont think it smells but it is an issue, you will see people putting water bottles on corners of building to detour scent marking, and even sulphur is put down too, although I think that is illegal and also not very nice for dogs or humans!
animagic21 and roig cat like this.

On island time!!
Old 02-07-2015, 15:37

Default Dog mess

i am very pleased to see there is a great improvement in dog poo mess this year. Last time we came it seemed worse than ever but now I see people picking it up and the square is nice and clear and also the patch of grass next to the playground is much better. Also managed to stroll round La Gola without spotting any - last time we just didn't bother to walk round it was so bad
LK1960, lollipop and kate1 like this.
Old 02-07-2015, 16:30

We thought it was quite bad !!

Think we have used to not seeing it on the pavements at home now so tend to notice it elsewhere !
Old 02-07-2015, 17:25
Banned

I think you'll find it depends on what streets and areas you are walking. There are two roads near us that are basically used as dog toilets. Irresponsible owners just kick the dogs out of their properties to do their business then let them back in after a few minutes not giving a damn.

As great a pet as dogs can be, and I've owned them in the past, some people treat them like they're their children and others owners just don't bother what they get up to. It will always be that way I'm afraid.
Euromart Express likes this.
Old 02-07-2015, 17:40
Super Moderator

I am afraid it's a waste of time complaining on this forum about this subject because the people who can do something about don't read these posts .
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 02-07-2015, 18:03

I have noticed an improvement the last couple of weeks.
2 very thoughtful dogs even decided to go 4 yards away from our table whilst eating at Hells Kitchen although both owners bagged it up immediately.
One very bad area is the kiddies play park in Mendez Nunez at the newish Taylor Woodrow apps. That area is covered in dog poo and weeds and seems to have gone to ruin.