Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 23:24

Unhappy First Holiday in PP in 10 Years

Having read the comments on the water park,restaurants closing down,and greedy landlords,also comments about looking elsewhere on the island,i am wondering if my wife and I have made a mistake in visiting PP in june this year (2015).This will be our 56th visit,most of them in and around PP which always felt like a second home.I did say a while ago that PP was on a slippery slope to becoming a mini Magaluf or Palma Nova.It was a unique and magical place to visit, and I always told friends if they did not like PP they would not like most other places.Can anyone tell me we have NOT made a mistake. MAJORCA VETERAN
Sponsored Links
Old 13-05-2015, 07:29

There are changes to the resort, but is still a beautiful place to be, and we will NEVER be sorry that we holiday there as often as we can.
Old 13-05-2015, 07:57

Still beautiful and dont think it will ever become Magalluff !!!!!!!

Unfortunately everywhere has a problem with landlords putting up rents and can think of shops etc locally where they have remained empty when this has happenned

To make a living out of Restaurants shops etc that are only busy for less than half the year is difficult Too many all inclusive Hotels dont help either It would have to change a lot for us to stop coming !
Old 13-05-2015, 08:22

Re Your comment " Have we made a mistake coming to PP In June"

Of course things change. That is an inevitable consequence of the passing of time. That which does not change stagnates and dies.

However, Mrs P and myself have been going to PP for over 25 years. In recent times we have been 3 times a year and yes we have seen changes, but not once did we ever think we had made a mistake. It has the same pull on us today as it did the first time we ever set foot there. You can change a building, but you can't take the spirit out of the place.

The old girl may have changed her wardrobe, but she is still the same person underneath.
Go and Enjoy.
Old 13-05-2015, 08:23

Yes - restaurants do close down but there are always new ones to try; and some things do change - it's a fact of life. But over the years we have been visiting, the essential 'feel' of PP has never altered and although we have spotted one or two Union Jack shorts and tattoos - have no fear - it will NEVER become another Magaluf
LK1960, pollensafan, kate1 and 2 others like this.
Old 13-05-2015, 08:53

You have not made a mistake in deciding to return to PP, it is still very very different from the "youth resorts" such as Magaluf and is still very much a family resort.
We are fortunate enough to visit numerous times a year and also travel to other very nice places throughout the world but PP still has something very special about it.
Old 13-05-2015, 09:05

Default PP is the best

As others have stated yes there have been many changes since we first started coming to PP over 20 years ago . But change is necessary in my opinion but not that much has changed to make us feel the place has altered dramatically.

As to the water park when I first read about that last year I was upset but when we visited in June and September last year and it made no difference to our holiday whatsoever.

Go and enjoy your well earned holiday and let us all know what you think when you return.

Scotslizzy
Old 13-05-2015, 09:30

We have visited PP the last 24 years and love this charming town. So much so that we bought an apartment for 3 years ago. Some restaurants will disappear and new ones appear constantly. You can only look forward to your vacation in June PP has everything you could wish for in a relaxing atmosphere
Old 13-05-2015, 10:48

The words magaluf ,palma nova and porto pollensa should never be mentioned in the same sentence,PP is still a beautiful and magical place, things do change but thats the way things are,but its the people who visit and the people who live in pp that add to that magic ,its like your first love you never forget i will defend her allways.you have made the right choice as you will see in june,hope you have a great time,for me once you get the pp bug it never leaves you.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:05

Don't worry it will still feel like you have arrived home. Very few changes, the water park to me didn't make that much of a difference its just an big infatable in the sea by Llenaire for young and old to have fun on. Still love lying on the beach looking out to sea, as for places closing yes its sad but at same time gets you to try something new. Have a fantastic holday
kate1 and scouse mark like this.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:10

You most definitely haven't made a mistake! It's nothing like Magaluf or Palma Nova! I think it's still only got one nightclub to begin with (and that one is pretty low-key), and I very much doubt that any stag parties or 'lads/lasses on tour' have ever made PP their destination. We visited in April and can confirm that it is as beautiful and peaceful as ever - nothing can beat that view over the sea, and it never will. I've rarely seen members of the tattoo/Union Jack shorts brigade - even in August, they are in a tiny minority - funnily enough, one of the small number I have glimpsed (a number of years ago now) was clearly there on a day trip from another resort - standing on the Pine Walk, in front of 'that' view, he turned to his wife, obviously disgruntled, and said 'I don't think much to Puerto Pollensa'..... Says it all, really. Obviously Mallorca, along with the rest of Spain and Europe, has been through a bit of a difficult time, but then I live in a fairly affluent town in the South East of England and we have had our fair share of shop and restaurant closures. Nowhere has been immune, and actually I felt a lot more optimism among PP restaurant owners in April. Places which had been struggling a little at the height of the recession definitely had much more of a buzz (and a lot more customers)! We think it's an amazing place - so much so that as soon as the children (hopefully) fly the nest we are moving there permanently. I can't think of anywhere better to be!

Sunny and Scotslizzy by the way are right re. the water park - I too flung up my hands with horror when I heard about it but the reality really isn't too obtrusive - it's quite a long way out at sea, not huge and is actually great for older children and teenagers. The couple of new beach bars are actually really civilised and attractive, and I think they've done a lot to enhance the beach area.

When you arrive in June, go and sit at the terrace of the Miramar, order a drink and gaze out to sea. Then you'll know that PP hasn't changed!
CathB, debz1, LK1960 and 9 others like this.

Last edited by kate1; 13-05-2015 at 12:18.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:19

Yes, would agree with all PP lovers so far. My youngest son is there right now, with wife and young kids, not having been for about 14 years, and according to all my e_Mails and Skype reports, it has still retained all it's magic. Bring on September when we will be there!!

Just go, and enjoy like before!!
kate1, Rosie34 and scouse mark like this.
Old 13-05-2015, 16:24

As others have said its a beautiful place and we certainly never tire iof visiting. Roll on June. We are already planning where we will go to eat out in the evening. Enjoy
Old 13-05-2015, 20:52

The resort is as beautiful and lovely as ever and no one could ever make a mistake visiting wonderful Puerto Pollensa. It's a magical place that has a very special place in my family's heart.

In reference to Union Jack shorts and tatoos..... you don't see them very often for sure, however the odd Newcastle United top can be seen knocking around worn by my long suffering NUFC supporter husband Chris!
Old 14-05-2015, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
The resort is as beautiful and lovely as ever and no one could ever make a mistake visiting wonderful Puerto Pollensa. It's a magical place that has a very special place in my family's heart.

In reference to Union Jack shorts and tatoos..... you don't see them very often for sure, however the odd Newcastle United top can be seen knocking around worn by my long suffering NUFC supporter husband Chris!

How right you are about the union jack shorts and tattoos, so much so that I have told Mrs P that this year she is to leave the shorts at home and wear long sleeve tops to cover the tattoos.
debz1, LK1960, Rosie34 and 8 others like this.