Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 12:07

Default Solar Eclipse

Hoping for clear skies on Thursday. There will be a partial solar eclipse here (total eclipse in parts of northern europe) starting at 10.15am and ending at around 11.30am.
Sponsored Links
Old 16-03-2015, 13:06

Its Friday isn't it!
GMT times in the uk, the eclipse itself starts at 8.24 am and reaches its maximum at 9.30 am; the Sun will be high in the south-east sky at that time!

On island time!!
Old 16-03-2015, 14:07

It's so dark here today in the UK you'd be forgiven for thinking an eclipse was happening right now....
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 16-03-2015, 14:28
Super Moderator

This from the DDM Eclipse de sol en el comienzo de la primavera - Diario de Mallorca

Quote:
Eclipse of the sun in early spring
The phenomenon, which takes place on the morning of March 20, will be partially visible in Spain

Tips for eclipse
Should not be seen without glasses approved by the European Community for solar observation (opacity index 5 or higher).
The risk of observing the Sun directly with the naked eye or with normal sunglasses for a phenomenon of these conditions can cause serious injury and even cause blindness .
Nor should use mirrors, devices (cameras or videos) or instruments or telescopes that are not ready for it.
The only way to observe the eclipse safely is to do with eclipse glasses or watching projected on one screen image in the shade.
EFE / Madrid

The beginning of spring this year coincides with a solar eclipse in Spain is partly seen, but in the Faroe (North Atlantic) islands and Svalbard (Arctic Ocean), will become a magic show that for a few minutes will cause the sun disappears from the sky.

Solar eclipses occur when, from the perspective of the Earth, the Moon passes in front of the sun and hides , though, depending on the location of the planet where the observer is, the phenomenon can be total, annular or partial.

The eclipse is total when all the Sun's surface is covered by the Moon; ring when the moon something farthest from the Earth, does not cover the entire surface of the Sun and leaves visible solar ring; and partial, when only a part of the sun is hidden by the moon, told Efe astronomer at the National Astronomical Observatory (NAO), Francisco Colomer.

The eclipse, which will take place the morning of March 20 , will be partially visible in Europe, North Africa and northern Asia, according to the National Astronomical Observatory.

The solar phenomenon begins in the Atlantic off the African coast, at latitude 20 °, and ends east of the Russian city of Krasnoyarsk, in Siberia's central plateau, a journey that, in total, will last 249 minutes (just over four hours).

In Spain, the eclipse will have a magnitude of 0.8 on the northwest coast, ie that from A Coruña, observers look at the sky will disappear 80% of the solar diameter in the shadow of the moon, points Colomer.

The magnitude of the phenomenon in the interior and northeastern peninsular Spain will be around 0.72, and 0.65 in the southeast and Baleares, while in the Canary Islands will be only 0.55 "Only disappears about half the solar surface, "says astronomer.

In Madrid, the eclipse will begin at 9.05 am, and the maximum will occur at 10.09 am , with a magnitude of 0.72 (implying that have covered two-thirds of the surface of the solar disk) and end at 11.18 hours (133 minutes total).

For those who are interested in knowing what the magnitude of the phenomenon in their municipality, the Centre has enabled a section on its website that lets you check the characteristics of the eclipse at every point in Spain.

The last visible solar eclipse as partial in Spain was the November 3, 2013, although with very low magnitude (except in the Canary Islands), and the next will be on August 21, 2017, but in poor condition because it coincides with the sunset.

To see a total solar eclipse in our country will have to wait until August 12, 2016 and August 2, 2017.

Last edited by Sparky; 16-03-2015 at 14:36.
Old 18-03-2015, 09:54

Default Solar Eclipse Safety Glasses

Does anyone know where you can get Solar Eclipse Safety Glasses in Mallorca.

They are supposedly giving them away with newspapers in he UK!! They need a CE mark to show they are up to standard.

I have been told that "Arc Welders goggles" may do?....needs confirmation!!

Make sure you don't look directly at the sun....You may also damage your camera if you try to take a picture without suitable filter.

My FlickR Photos
Old 18-03-2015, 10:31
Super Moderator

I haven't seen any but you could try the opticians, if they don't have them they might know where they are available .

P.S. Going by the weather forecast i don't think we will be able to see it anyway El G.
sws97sdg and El Gordo like this.

Last edited by Sparky; 18-03-2015 at 10:34.
Old 18-03-2015, 10:46

El Gordo, I haven't (yet) seen any glasses being given away here - in fact it's proving impossible to find any unless you want to pay extortionate prices on Ebay or Amazon (and those come from Israel and won't get here in time). My daughters' school is running pinhole camera workshops all week - these are I think quite easy to make - or apparently you can catch the reflection of the sun using a colander and a piece of paper (don't ask me what you do with them though!) Or you can look at the reflection in a bowl of water. In the last total eclipse I do remember getting free glasses with a newspaper (wish I'd kept them!) - but there don't appear to be any this time round.
Old 18-03-2015, 10:49

Same here Sparky, looks like it will be cloudy most places, we are laying on lots of events at work , school kids coming in and everything, but unfortunately all in vain, 2070 before the next full eclipse!

On island time!!
Old 18-03-2015, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Same here Sparky, looks like it will be cloudy most places, we are laying on lots of events at work , school kids coming in and everything, but unfortunately all in vain, 2070 before the next full eclipse!

Thats OK then....I'll only be 118!!
sws97sdg likes this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 18-03-2015, 11:19
Super Moderator

Fear not El G, according to the article there will be one here next year :-

Quote:
To see a total solar eclipse in our country will have to wait until August 12, 2016 and August 2, 2017.
Old 18-03-2015, 11:36

I think that will be another partial eclipse not a total one, these are much more rare in Europe.

On island time!!
Old 18-03-2015, 11:45
Super Moderator

Ah but this is in Spain SWS .
Old 18-03-2015, 11:48

Yes Sparky mate and Spain is in Europe!

On island time!!
Old 18-03-2015, 11:57
Super Moderator

No i think you are misunderstanding, this Friday there is a partial eclipse and only 50% of the sun will be covered in the Balaerics with 80% in the north of Spain.
It obviously varies across Europe so maybe it is possible that the south will have a total eclipse next year .
Old 18-03-2015, 12:06

ah understand, no all eclipses will be partial in West Europe including Spain until 2070ish, then a total eclipse will be viewable in most of Europe, although partial ones are still worth seeing, and observing the weather also, lots of strange things happen with the temperature and wind etc

On island time!!