Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-04-2009, 09:58

Default Vap?

When driving along the road in front of Corte Ingles (Palma) one lane is marked VAP. The traffic doesn't seem any different to the other lanes. Does anyone know what it means? On a signpost it says "Via I... Preferment".
Sponsored Links
Old 27-04-2009, 19:04

Question

I could be completely wrong here but I think VAP means Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. According to one site I was looking on ..VAP is a common intensive care unit. So if the road markings you saw where near a hospital maybe that's the road to the hospital.
Old 27-04-2009, 21:52

Default Vap

At each lane of the VAP is a booth for processing traffic. At least one lane of traffic will be staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Found this on google....

Maybe a plausible answer.
Old 28-04-2009, 09:21

Thanks for your replies but I don't think either are right. There is no hospital nearby or any booths, but thanks for your thoughts. The signpost says "Via indicator? preferment". I am not sure of the second word but it is something like that. I think it means something like a preferential lane. In the USA they have preferential lanes for cars with more that one passenger, so I wondered if it is something like that, but on looking around who else is in the lane there doesn´t seem to be any similarity. It is also next to a lane which is reserved for buses and taxis, so it isn't that either. I always use it as it is the best lane for the Corte Ingles car park, but I am not sure whether I should.

Any other ideas?
Old 28-04-2009, 11:11

Default Vias de Atención Preferente

Hi
I found some information on a German website.

VAP stands for 'Vias de Atención Preferente'.

Unfortunately it doesn't give the exact reason what the lanes are for, only that it's very expensive to park on those lanes (up to 180 Euro).

I would agree that it probably applies to preferred lanes of some sort (e.g. more than 1 person in the car).

If I find any more I let you know.

Regards
Mike
Old 28-04-2009, 13:38

Thanks Mike, that sounds plausable as it is the nearside lane. Maybe it is like the Red Route in London, where parking and loading is prohibited.
Old 04-03-2015, 18:21

Bringing a thread back from the dead but was this ever resolved?

There are these VAP lanes along the front of Palma and on a few major roads leading out of the city (MA-13A) for example. Whenever I see the painted markings I immediately dive out of the lane in case its for priority/ car-pool lanes.
The Google map link below should show what I'm speaking about: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...f4a47902f0defa
Old 04-03-2015, 19:00

I was always told that it meant "clearway", so no stopping/parking is allowed on the route.

If you do stop on a "Vía preferente" you cop for quite a sizeable fine.
mike_dublin likes this.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:18

Sound like a bus / taxi lane. Possibly also for multiple occupancy vehicles . I was going to say that if no-one has seen any notifications about them perhaps they haven't been implemented yet - but then I saw the date of the original post.
Sparky likes this.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57

Playing around with google on this, and this came up;

Quote; "Via d'atenció preferent" is the Catalan translation of "Vía preferente"--literally "preferred road" in Castilian Spanish. There used to be a standard sign for it (blue background, reading "VP" in Castilian Spanish-speaking parts of Spain) in the Reglamento General de Circulación, but this was dropped the last time it was revised (RD 1428/2003).

My understanding (NB--I do not have my copies of the 1992 Reglamento and the accompanying traffic sign catalogue to hand) is that the sign was used to indicate routes which had been constructed to a high standard and were therefore "preferred."

Unquote.

It then went on to say it was nothing to do with parking, and put in a Spanish link to a school parking forum - which I couldn't understand at all!!
Still probably no further ahead with why it would have been constructed to a higher standard than other roads though.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:36

I believe it is like a clearway or red route, on which you can't park. I always drive in them and have had no problems -so far!
Old 05-03-2015, 11:37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanglens View Post
Sound like a bus / taxi lane. Possibly also for multiple occupancy vehicles . I was going to say that if no-one has seen any notifications about them perhaps they haven't been implemented yet - but then I saw the date of the original post.
I think you could be right Allanglens, the V could stand for via (route), the A for autonomia (autonomy) and the P for publico (public), so possibly a clear lane for all public vehicles including ambulances, fire trucks and police cars.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
I believe it is like a clearway or red route, on which you can't park. I always drive in them and have had no problems -so far!
I would expect nothing better from you ak, after all, they are of a high standard!
Old 05-03-2015, 14:50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
Thanks for your replies but I don't think either are right. There is no hospital nearby or any booths, but thanks for your thoughts. The signpost says "Via indicator? preferment". I am not sure of the second word but it is something like that. I think it means something like a preferential lane. In the USA they have preferential lanes for cars with more that one passenger, so I wondered if it is something like that, but on looking around who else is in the lane there doesn´t seem to be any similarity. It is also next to a lane which is reserved for buses and taxis, so it isn't that either. I always use it as it is the best lane for the Corte Ingles car park, but I am not sure whether I should.

Any other ideas?
I found this website Types of Roads in Spain | AngloINFO Spain, nothing about VAP but lanes for high occupancy seem to be marked VAO.

Quote:
•Lanes may be designated for the use of vehicles with high occupation only (carriles para vehiculos de alta ocupacion, VAO). Drivers can use these lanes if their vehicle weighs less than 3,500 Kg and carries the signalled minimum number of occupants
Old 05-03-2015, 16:38

There is a definition on this Spanish discussion thread from 2009 -
Que significa VAP? - ForoCoches

Google Translate says

Quote:
"The VAP (vias of preferential treatment) are those that by their high traffic are limited by the local police as the Service Traffic and Transport, restricting the maximum possible within their powers, any authorization for conditions or occupations of these pathways , referring them to schedule circulating non-intensive, night or Holidays. also, they will be subject to special care and monitoring by the local police, and stronger measures to control the movement and use of the withdrawal of offending vehicles parking bans. "
I think the clearway (at all times) combined with higher fares is the best explanation.