Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   A salutary warning (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/11714-salutary-warning.html)

Tiggy 28-10-2014 09:58

A salutary warning

I recently returned to my car which was parked on a very quiet
side street just off the beach/front line .Just before pulling away I noticed that the driver side wing mirror had been turned in so got out to re adjust it and found a note had been left.

The note in Spanish reads as follows ...

APARCAMIENTO VIGILADO POR MINUSVALIDO

VUESTRA VOLUNTAD,GRACIAS

followed by English - your willingness to help thanks
and then in German and French

to end Gracias por su colaboracion

again English thanks for your contribution

and top top it off on the bottom left hand corner

Fecha..........

on the reverse is a advert for a fake English water sports web address !

I jumped back in the car put the central locking on to read the note and waited to see if anyone appeared then saw a well iffy bloke hanging around on the corner a few yards away on- seeing me seeing him -he made it look like he was
looking for something he had dropped and made off.

At the time I thought cheeky beggars how many do they catch with this and get a Euro or two ..or is it a cover for looking into cars when parked not on the front line or a distraction aimed at those who put a wallet or hand bag on the passenger seat when travelling alone.

Plus the car is left hand drive ,on Spanish plates and not a rental.

Sparky 28-10-2014 10:33

Thanks for the warning Tiggy, did you report this to the police?.

Tiggy 28-10-2014 13:41

yep and a copy to the Tourist Ministry Illes Baleares

lovemallorca 28-10-2014 23:28

I'm confused by this?

Isn't it a note just letting you know that you have parked in a space that is required by a disabled person and thanking you for your help in anticipation of you not doing so in future?

Lorenzo 29-10-2014 00:19

Isn't the duff notice more along the lines of 'this parking space is being guarded by a handicapped person....and we thank you for your contribution ie gratuity'.
It's not very nice that someone also folded the wing mirror in.....:(

Having a printed flyer seems to suggests that this is more than a casual opportunist too.....:(

Let's hope that the Guardia do something about this before it becomes an accepted practice...

Nick 29-10-2014 15:32

Yet another scam by the sounds of it. Always someone somewhere trying to rip someone else off. I hope they try it on me when I'm next out in a hire car!

Rosie34 29-10-2014 17:29

It's always a risk when you park your car:( A couple of years ago we went back to our car and found that someone had lowered the window and vomited all over the front seat and footwell:eek: So it was a trip back to the airport for a new car and an 85 euro cost:mad:

Nick 29-10-2014 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie34 (Post 98754)
It's always a risk when you park your car:( A couple of years ago we went back to our car and found that someone had lowered the window and vomited all over the front seat and footwell:eek: So it was a trip back to the airport for a new car and an 85 euro cost:mad:

Words cannot begin to describe what sort of "thing" would do something like that.

Sometimes the pond-life that passes itself off as humanity goes beyond belief.

tangofan 29-10-2014 20:13

This is all very bizarre! I too am not really sure what this is about. Also how could someone open your window from the outside and vomit into your car? Was the window left open?

Rosie34 30-10-2014 08:24

It certainly wasnt left open but we have notice that sometimes when you use the automatic locking etc the window comes down a little bit (and then it can be pushed all the way down - that is the only thing we can think of - and yes it was totally bizarre, weird and disgusting and we'll never forget the drive to the airport with the windows all open and trying not to breathe in:eek: We did get a helpful man from a small garage in the port to try to clean it and he did his best - enough for us to be able to get to the airport. And then, to make it worse, we dont think the car hire people believed our story. And we still cant get our heads round why anyone would deliberately do this - on a purely physical note - when you feel sick you dont have time to find a car with a partially open window etc ..................... Ugh!

Now we double check the windows every time.

GrandeMimosa 30-10-2014 10:33

I find all this quite absurd. Mysterious notes on cars that seem lost in translation, people being sick. Whats the next post going to be,goodness knows. I thought this forum was about promoting the town with news, reflection and information. Its a lovely sunny morning here. Can this entire thread be deleted its of no use to anyone

Nick 30-10-2014 15:44

I have to disagree. It's a forum and any information whether good or bad that can assist any visitor to PP is relevant.

I for one would always want to be aware of anything that could pose a problem.

CathB 30-10-2014 17:07

We were pestered by a man when we were sitting at Can Joesp a few weeks ago..kept putting papers in front of us stating her was deaf and dumb and requesting donations to some sort of center

Nick 30-10-2014 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah (Post 98763)
I have to disagree. It's a forum and any information whether good or bad that can assist any visitor to PP is relevant.

I for one would always want to be aware of anything that could pose a problem.

Think my line about some wearing rose tinted glasses on here has been removed. Can't think why. It seems to me that if a certain few on this forum don't like something then it's deleted. Not everything in PP is wonderful and right. Why do we have to report it as so?

Confused.

sws97sdg 30-10-2014 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathB (Post 98768)
We were pestered by a man when we were sitting at Can Joesp a few weeks ago..kept putting papers in front of us stating her was deaf and dumb and requesting donations to some sort of center

Hi Cath, we too were approached by him, I ignored him as you do but Sue talked to him and she thought he was genuine and he was passionate about helping other people and the locals seemed to accept him as well which is a good sign so the problem is when people make you suspicious you can sometimes miss the genuine ones!