Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 09:36

Default Musings from PP 2014

Well that’s my 2014 pp season over for this year, although I guess it’s still ongoing for some of you yet to go. So what are my thoughts?
Well first, let me pay tribute to a fiercely proud mallorcan gentleman called “Tomaeu”. He lived 2 doors along from El Ancla in the white house covered in bougainvillea. I think he looked on El Ancla as his head office . For years he would sit with us telling us about pp history and cuisine, coupled with a wickedly dry sense of humour. Oh how he would delight in mocking my attempts at speaking Spanish, although he loved the fact that I tried. Mrs P and I grew to love him over the years. He even took us up to the top of his house in June to show us the view, stunning.
Well, Sad to say we were informed 2 weeks ago that he had passed away due to complications from a broken leg. We are gutted. RIP my friend.
Sorry about that I know it’s not strictly pp related but I needed to pay my respects to a great man.
So, Back to pp. Well That’s our 3rd visit this year and I have to say the “old Girl” is in rude health. Walking around in September we were stunned to see the majority of the restaurants full to bursting. A wonderful sight indeed.
The weather was the hottest I can remember for many a year. 21 days of sun in the 30’s, astonishing. Also , can I pay homage to El Gordo that we met in El Ancla. Nice to put a face to a name, although he did have to come face to face with Mrs P. I wonder how many Tintos it took for the poor man to recover . Just a foot note concerning El Ancla, Its quite telling how “ Tony” the waiter from Stay, chooses El Ancla as his first restaurant of choice when dining out with family and friends. Still. Not for much longer. The final bell tolls on the 15 October.
A few quick points
Nice to see more empty premises being opened up again. Sympathies to anyone staying down by the 2 restaurants in LLenaire, the smell is dreadful and you don’t need me to describe it. How anyone can sit there and eat is beyond me. I felt sick just passing by every day . Chinese massage has now been reduced to 3 girls. The girl in white must need a massage herself at the end of the day. Watching her craning her neck left and right keeping a look out for the police on cycles was pure magic. Was only approached a few times in 3 weeks Bliss. Discovery of the holiday. The rebirth of the “ Sol Y Mar”. (See Bars and restaurants ) . Lovely to see “ Manolos bar “ taking all the locals from the old Bar Cultural across to his place. I call that just deserts.
Well that's it now until next February and I can't wait.

Last edited by pollensafan; 23-09-2014 at 09:44.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-09-2014, 13:22

I saw the police talking to and then driving away three girls/ladies of chinese origin on Sunday afternoon. One of them was showing the police girl a tatty photo copy of ID or permit not sure which.
Old 23-09-2014, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
I saw the police talking to and then driving away three girls/ladies of chinese origin on Sunday afternoon. One of them was showing the police girl a tatty photo copy of ID or permit not sure which.
Are you sure she wasn't showing her that dirty old piece of rag she carries and offering her a cut price massage. I still find it mind boggling that folk can see that's all they carry, with no other means of hygiene and yet I still saw people having it done.
debz1, lollipop and Nick like this.
Old 23-09-2014, 15:32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensafan View Post
Are you sure she wasn't showing her that dirty old piece of rag she carries and offering her a cut price massage. I still find it mind boggling that folk can see that's all they carry, with no other means of hygiene and yet I still saw people having it done.
And that is why they have not moved on, as long as people pay for this they will stay .
pollensafan and lollipop like this.
Old 23-09-2014, 16:15

Loved your musings pollensafan

We must have arrived around the same time as you as we have been here for 3 weeks with one to go. Various family members and friends have been and gone and the weather has been great for them all...if not a bit too hot. Can't remember such high temperatures in September and for such a long time. Thankfully the storms of yesterday and today have cooled it down to a more normal temperature for this time of year.

Re the flipping 'mass...aaaa....geee' girls, it's such a relief not to be constantly pestered by them, although they are still around. Glad the very annoying man with the toothy grin seems to have gone as he really did get my goat, and was very very persistent. Even when you said go away (which wasn't what I actually said to him but that's unprintable) he kept coming back every 5 minutes!!! I cannot for the life me understand why anyone would want to be wiped down with a dirty rag that's been used on god knows how many other people
pollensafan and Nick like this.
Old 23-09-2014, 17:58

Debz1, Ah, I know what you mean about that chap. Many a time he could have been responsible for my early exit from this mortal coil. You know how it is when you've spent a couple of hours having a light lunch consisting of a beer and maybe a large mixed salad with a plate of Jamon and some nice grilled prawns, not to mention plenty of the old garlic., all washed down with a nice bottle of chilled Rosado.
You then saunter back to the beach around 2.30, lay down and after about 20 mins you reach that point where you are not quite asleep but in the twilight zone. Then all of a sudden this shadow looms right over your face and screams " Maassssaaaaageeee ".. How I've never had a heart attack I will never know.
debz1 and LK1960 like this.

Last edited by pollensafan; 23-09-2014 at 18:02.
Old 23-09-2014, 19:42

Very pleased to hear the massage people have reduced in numbers ! That man was revolting and far too persistant Am surprised he managed to keep those teeth !

Glad you had such a good time and it is nice to see places reopen but very sad about the Ancla Bar cant imagine it not being there Hope its not some souless monstrosity in its place

Looking forward to a couple of visits next year
debz1 and pollensafan like this.
Old 23-09-2014, 20:55

Slightly worried about the part where you say that the smell in llenaire is dreadful-coming out late October-please tell me that it's gone as that's where we are staying this time!!!!
Old 24-09-2014, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1 View Post
Slightly worried about the part where you say that the smell in llenaire is dreadful-coming out late October-please tell me that it's gone as that's where we are staying this time!!!!
All I can tell you is that every morning for 3 weeks, we walked along the front and when you got to the 2 restaurants and the new beach bar, the smell was dreadful ( raw sewage). However I have no way of knowing if it was the same as you moved away from the front as I never hung around to investigate. It may just have been that small area.
Old 24-09-2014, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
Very pleased to hear the massage people have reduced in numbers ! That man was revolting and far too persistant Am surprised he managed to keep those teeth !

Glad you had such a good time and it is nice to see places reopen but very sad about the Ancla Bar cant imagine it not being there Hope its not some souless monstrosity in its place

Looking forward to a couple of visits next year
Re El Ancla. There is a site on face book that shows you detailed drawings of the new build. It will be another restaurant with a reduced size terrace, 3 story apartment on top, a swimming pool around the back and wait for it ,,,,, An underground car park. Yep you read that right. Just across the road at sea level. As Bernie ( Leos son ) said to me " If I decide to take on the new place I might ,after a nice storm, be able to advertise food and a spar. "

PS The site is under the title Edificio El Ancla.
Old 24-09-2014, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1 View Post
We have walked up that far every morning for the last week and there is no dreadful smell there now..possibly a few "whiffy" runners but definitely no sewage smells
Belladonna likes this.

Eating Out
Old 24-09-2014, 10:17

I had a look at the Facebook page and I cant really imagine it there with those lovely Villas !!

Are they residential appartments or holiday ? Yes they could end up with an Aquarium underneath !

Hope the Romantic doesent go as well or it will be a matter of time before the whole block goes !
Old 24-09-2014, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
We have walked up that far every morning for the last week and there is no dreadful smell there now..possibly a few "whiffy" runners but definitely no sewage smells
Sometimes has that problem after a heavy downpour as the drainage runs under the mini roundabout. Soon disappears though, don't panic!
Old 24-09-2014, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Sometimes has that problem after a heavy downpour as the drainage runs under the mini roundabout. Soon disappears though, don't panic!
I think pollensafan said the smell in Llenaire was there over the last three weeks when the temperature has been ridiculously high and no rain to speak of for months. We don't venture down to that neck of the woods but to be fair I have noticed a few whiffs around the port especially near the roundabout by Gelats Valls. Hope it doesn't get worse now there has been torrential rain
Old 25-09-2014, 18:03

Ok I've stopped worrying-thanks for the replies... if needs be I'll buy pegs for our noses. Sorry to hear about El Ancla though-four weeks to go and I can not wait.
Belladonna likes this.