Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 16:28

Default Dress Code

Are the council going to follow Palma in heavy fines for people walking around in Bikinis or a pair of swimmers and Bare chests. Most people in P.P ( unlike Alcudia ) do dress up especialy in the evenings but many wander the streets daytime in beach clothes. Could be a good way for the council to raise money and stop the wandering eyes. bah.
Nick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 17:03

Personally I hope they do as you do see some rather unpleasant sights on the streets of Puerto Pollensa - people who really should know better - I've no objection to shorts but bare-chested men and swimwear anywhere other than on the beach or round the pool are really not appropriate. Especially where people are eating/drinking - on more than a few occasions I've had to avert my eyes from vast expanses of flesh, often complete with sunburn, tattoos, sweaty armpits - gross!

The Mallorcans of course don't do this. They must think we are an ill-mannered lot.
its cd, debz1, pollensafan and 7 others like this.
Old 01-05-2014, 19:07

Totally agree with you Kate! Even with perfect pecs etc it is not appropriate or attractive to wander about off the beach in trunks etc - and most of the sights are those who would be so much better covered up - preferably in a bin bag or similar
Old 01-05-2014, 23:27

Gosh, thought I'd get totally slated for that post! - am delighted that I am not the only one that finds it gross - we should start a campaign! Kit On in PP! (Obviously excluding Gerard Butler and Bradley Cooper, should they turn up in PP and insist on removing their outer garments when away from the beach....)
its cd, debz1, pollensafan and 6 others like this.

Last edited by kate1; 01-05-2014 at 23:35.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:47

Hmmmm, I wrote about this last season, prompted by seeing people in the evening in restaurants wearing vest, beach shorts and flip flops. As my other half remarked at the time " No wonder people don't need suitcases, they just wear the same thing at night as they do on the beach"
kate1, Rosie34 and Nick like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50

[QUOTE=kate1;94170]Personally I hope they do as you do see some rather unpleasant sights on the streets of Puerto Pollensa - people who really should know better - I've no objection to shorts but bare-chested men and swimwear anywhere other than on the beach or round the pool are really not appropriate. Especially where people are eating/drinking - on more than a few occasions I've had to avert my eyes from vast expanses of flesh, often complete with sunburn, tattoos, sweaty armpits - gross!

Kate, That's no way to talk about my wife, I didn't realise you had seen her.
Nick and scouse mark like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
we should start a campaign! Kit On in PP! (Obviously excluding Gerard Butler and Bradley Cooper, should they turn up in PP and insist on removing their outer garments when away from the beach....)
Sorry Kate but we can't have one rule for one and not the other .
kate1 and Rosie34 like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52
Banned

"(Obviously excluding Gerard Butler and Bradley Cooper, should they turn up in PP and insist on removing their outer garments when away from the beach....)"

Equals totally inappropriate and sexist remark................................however, exceptions made for Elle MacPherson, Rachel Riley et al..........

Oh, and all the fit women on Sky Sports News whose names I can't remember but does that even matter?!
Sparky, kate1 and scouse mark like this.

Last edited by Nick; 02-05-2014 at 09:55.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
"..

Oh, and all the fit women on Sky Sports News whose names I can't remember but does that even matter?!
sky sports ? Ive never noticed!, but do you mean georgie thompson,hayley mcqueen,kirsty gallacher,millie clode,vicky gomersall,natalie sawyer,alex hammond,kate abdo........etc and jim white of course. for the ladies....
Nick likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensafan View Post
Hmmmm, I wrote about this last season, prompted by seeing people in the evening in restaurants wearing vest, beach shorts and flip flops. As my other half remarked at the time " No wonder people don't need suitcases, they just wear the same thing at night as they do on the beach"
I know at least one person who likes to wear flipflps all the time . The thing about PP is that it can be all things to all people, if you want to dress up or dress down you can, you can go smart or in shorts with flipflops, it's up to you and your choice and for no one else to say! Live and let live that's what I say
Doogz1874 and roig cat like this.

On island time!!
Old 03-05-2014, 22:18

PP is a laid back and relaxed resort and almost anything goes. Imo looking 'too 'dolled ' at night up looks as wrong as walking around dressed for the beach

I agree with others that walking along the front wearing just a bikini or heaven forbid budgie smugglers is just wrong. I have seen the latter on several occasions ( mainly old geezers) and it is just so wrong on so many counts Another pet hate is men sitting in restaurants without tops on!!!

However I don't mind men wearing shorts in the evening. Gone are the days
(thank goodness ) when men had to 'dress' for dinner when on holiday in trousers, blazer and a nice paisley cravat There is a big difference however between tailored shorts and beach shorts. I also think most ladies like to glam up for the evening . Nothing like a nice G and T after a shower while you put on a bit of slap. Or is that just me?!?
its cd, sws97sdg, tangofan and 5 others like this.
Old 03-05-2014, 23:25

No, I am the same Debz, that's the shorts not the bit of slap!!
debz1 and Rosie34 like this.

On island time!!
Old 03-05-2014, 23:49

As much as I love to go out in the summer, thank Goodness I am lucky enough to go out in winter and spring and wear my jeans in bars and even sports kits after playing squash and warm trackies after using the council pool in Winter in Feb. No one is bothered what I wear but if I was to slap on the lippie and dress to the nines I would actually feel out of place. x
Old 04-05-2014, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
PP is a laid back and relaxed resort and almost anything goes. Imo looking 'too 'dolled ' at night up looks as wrong as walking around dressed for the beach

I agree with others that walking along the front wearing just a bikini or heaven forbid budgie smugglers is just wrong. I have seen the latter on several occasions ( mainly old geezers) and it is just so wrong on so many counts Another pet hate is men sitting in restaurants without tops on!!!

However I don't mind men wearing shorts in the evening. Gone are the days
(thank goodness ) when men had to 'dress' for dinner when on holiday in trousers, blazer and a nice paisley cravat There is a big difference however between tailored shorts and beach shorts. I also think most ladies like to glam up for the evening . Nothing like a nice G and T after a shower while you put on a bit of slap. Or is that just me?!?
Spot on ....... Love that transition from daytime to evening ...... Even if the end result is a basic summer dress or a simple pair of linens and a nice top ..... As you say ....... It's not about getting overly dolled up, it's about differentiating between daytime and evening and feeling you have made an effort.

Re. Beachwear anywhere other than beach or pool ....... Should be banned IMO, it's offensive and actually I think it is insulting to the proprietor of any restaurant

I do think people lose some of their marbles and sense of etiquette when on holiday ...... I can't remember ever going into any of our local bars or pub beer gardens at home, even when temperatures are up and finding men without their tops on or girls in their bikinis
Old 04-05-2014, 07:04

I feel during the day you should be able to wear what you like. I wear 'board shorts' flip flops and take a tee shirt out with me for if I'm having lunch at a cafe/resturant or going In to shops. I don't look scruffy or bring the tone of PP down.
Most people are on their holidays, and while the locals might like to wear trousers, jumpers, coats and scarfs in 22 degree heat I don't, I want feel comfortable, if I want to have no t shirt while walking between the beach and a resturant or the accomodation then so be it, you don't have to look. I want to get the only bit of sun I'm only likly to see all year on me where ever I walk. But once at a cafe/shop out pops the t shirt.
It's a holiday resort and a relaxed one at that, so to fine people for being shirt less is ludicrous, it's better than looking at cyclists with tight Lycra showing there bits all the time!
There are so many different types of holiday makers in PP, young families, old families, singles, couples, ex pats, spanish holiday makers, locals, athletes (cyclists/swimmers/triathletes) and everyone brings something different.
Without choice everyone would be like robots, wearing the same, looking the same and that would be awful for any resort.
Wear what you like, but remember a t shirt for the cafés and shops!-)