Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By debz1
  • 2 Post By ragdollabbi
  • 1 Post By lollipop
  • 2 Post By ragdollabbi
  • 1 Post By tangofan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 13:01

Default Puerto Pollensa - like St Tropez?

There is a nice little article about Pollensa in the Sunday Express magazine today. However the writer visits the port and refers to it as a former fishing village but "today has more in common with Saint-Tropez". He goes on to refer to the harbour as "bobbing with yachts" and mentions "chichi shops". He mentions the setting comes with a price tag - though he did eat in the harbour so perhaps he thinks everywhere costs the same as Stay! He was glowing in his review but I think this description is unlike the Puerto Pollensa we know and love and does not give a true impression of the place.

(I hope it is ok to quote from this article).
Sponsored Links
Old 20-10-2013, 13:31
Super Moderator

Good find Tangofan, here is the article :- Out of this world: From romantic river cruises in France to magical South African safaris | Travel | Life & Style | Daily Express

Quote:
Majorca, Spain

Stuck in horrendous queues in the sweltering heat, we were beginning to regret our family excursion to Puerto Alcudia’s Hidropark. The visit had been a non-negotiable for our three girls and, to be fair, its fun flumes, “Snuba”-diving and so-so food would have seemed more of a treat if holiday heaven hadn’t awaited us back at Ca’n Roig, our home from home.

We had found the best of both worlds at our private villa: a beautiful, secluded location that was only a five-minute drive from the pretty town of Pollensa. Within two hours of touching down at Palma airport, the whole family had taken up their places by the pool. My wife and I parked ourselves on the luxurious sun loungers while the girls made their own fun, putting on fashion shows and splashing about on the inflatables the previous visitors had kindly left behind.

Ca’n Roig was superbly equipped with everything you could ask for – except a TV remote control we actually understood. But even this proved a blessing: alfresco card games soon became our chosen form of family entertainment and, come evening, we would make full use of the villa’s best feature – a massive barbecue area. Our sundown cook-ups and midnight swims became a daily routine, and the most memorable part of our week away.

Not that we didn’t make it to the outside world. Pollensa proved far more of a hit than the Hidropark. The perfect place for a scenic stroll, it still offers an almost untouched glimpse of traditional Majorca, with its bougainvillea-clad stone cottages and stunning hillside backdrop. On our Sunday visit, the town square – filled with market stalls and locals chatting after church – was clearly the place to be.

A few miles north from there is Puerta Pollensa, a former fishing village that, these days, has more in common with Saint-Tropez. To walk along its front – a handsome horseshoe curve of a bay, bobbing with yachts – really is something. Visitors have their pick of chichi shops and pavement restaurants, and we enjoyed some lovely meals by the harbour. But the setting comes with a price tag and we soon learned that supermarket visits were the way to go (our girls had fun picking their own fish from the counter and trying out their Spanish on the staff).

A bulging book of local attractions had been laid out for us at the villa on arrival and we had intended to do far more*, but there really was no substitute for our pool-side set-up and one week’s total relaxation.

Matt Robinson
Old 20-10-2013, 13:58

I think that's a perfect description of PP. I would rather it was made to sound like St Tropez than,how shall I put it, the less salubrious and tacky parts of the island.
Old 20-10-2013, 14:00

Thank you Sparky! I wasn't sure if I was allowed to reproduce the article.

Overall it is very good but I do think the description of the port is rather misleading!
Old 20-10-2013, 15:12
Super Moderator

Tangofan, it's fine to copy these articles as long as credit is clearly given to the originator, that's why i always give the link and put it into a quote box .
Old 20-10-2013, 15:18

C'an Roig eh, a mere snip at £7000 for a fortnight in the peak weeks!
Old 20-10-2013, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
C'an Roig eh, a mere snip at £7000 for a fortnight in the peak weeks!
.......and that's before flights!!
Belladonna and lollipop like this.
Old 20-10-2013, 18:47

maybe they're included plus a hire car!!!!
Belladonna likes this.
Old 20-10-2013, 18:57

Lollipop, they would need to be plus another two weeks thrown in for good measure with meals included
Belladonna and roig cat like this.
Old 20-10-2013, 20:57

Thanks for explaining that Sparky
Sparky likes this.