Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-05-2013, 21:13
Under Moderation

Default travel money cards

Hi i'm new to all this forum business, but as i am due to visit puerto pollensa shortly i thought i'd give it a try.
Would anyone know if the post office travel money cards are widely taken in puerto pollensa in supermarkets/restaurants etc???? In past years it used to be travellers cheques that most people used but they seem rather old fashioned now. Any info would be most appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 24-05-2013, 00:30

Hi Jackson, I've used the money cards for a few years now, you'll find everywhere takes them in PP, you can also withdraw cash at the numerous ATM,s in the port. As you say TC,s are a bit old fashioned, and no point in paying 1/1.5% commission. Personally, I would not use the Post Office if I was loading one of these cards, companies like MY Travel will probably give you a better rate plus 1% BACK every time you use it. If you ever have the misfortune to lose one they can be easily replaced.
Old 24-05-2013, 10:03
Founder

Travelex also offer a 'Cash Passport' (pre-paid Currency card) but I'm not sure how good their terms are. You can also pre-order Euros (& other currency) to collect at the airport.
Old 24-05-2013, 21:56

I think the Caxton Card is one of the best ones. No charge (by them) at ATMs. The only thing to remember is that the card is not back by FSA so if they did go bust you could lose your money. I believe this is the case with some of the other cards but might be worth checking.

If you bank with Santander you can use your debit card in their ATM in the branch in the port with no charges
Old 25-05-2013, 09:59

I've used a Fairfx card for the past couple of years, and will again this year - I've always got a really good exchange rate with them.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21

Another one is the Easyjet Euro currency card

https://prepaidcard.easyjet.com/

Looking around the conditions it looks like it is run by fairfx ( their email address found on the easyjet site in the FAQ) and has the advantage of no ATM fees ( so they say)

I have not used any of these yet, just browsing for the various cards available.
Old 01-06-2013, 17:48

They are becoming popular, if only to keep thieves thieving hands off your money, you have a code which you can change at anytime, if you lose one it's easy replaced. It's of no use to them.
Old 01-06-2013, 20:52

Great card for over 50 Saga Visa credit Card no fees just 2% on cash withdrawals great rates todays rate 1.163060.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53

That's a very good rate although I think jackson11 is looking for a pre paid card for security rather than a credit card.

With prepaid a criminal can only spend what was loaded onto the card by the customer, with a credit card it can be maxed out to the credit limit and if the pin was used its hard to get the money back from the card provider.

there are illegal devices that 'skim' the pin so the fraululent transactions will be pin authorised.

some links

Computer Laboratory – Security Group: EMV PIN verification “wedge” vulnerability

PIN skimming possible with chip cards - The H Security: News and Features

Chip and PIN is broken, say researchers | ZDNet

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...staurants.html

Last edited by Mark; 02-06-2013 at 10:56.