Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Members Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/members-area/)
-   -   Driving over just now (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/members-area/12166-driving-over-just-now.html)

gpm 07-06-2015 17:23

Driving over just now

Just thought I would report in on our journey so far. Left Glasgow on Thursday and straight down to Folkestone to the tunnel, through in 30 mins and on to our first stop Chateau du Cocove just past Calais. What a beautiful place, the staff lovely and when I tried to buy my wife a bottle of wine as a present, I was given it by the head Waiter. The meal was typically French, didn't know what I was getting till it came. The raw salmon was fine but when I ate the small bit of sauce on top, I took the most terrible coughing fit. A few glasses of water later and a friendly English man beside me told me it was a Wasabi bean which he explained was the Japanese revenge for loosing the war. He had a bit of a fixation about the war as he was visiting St Omer the next day to see where the Germans had launched the doodlebugs that had bombed his grannies house twice😠
Day 2 and on to Chalon en Champagne, which was very nice and we sampled a few of the local champagnes and again had a lovely meal with no sneaky Japanese beans.
Day 3 we arrive at 2 30 in Tournus, a lovely wee town just off the motorway. Unfortunately it's a lot like scotland as all food stops at 2 pm.
But surely the night of the champion league final it will be jumping, eh no!
The place was deserted, a few restaurants and the bars in the main St all closed.
We managed to get the dog into the restaurant, so we watched the game there with a bottle of French wine 6 euros.
Day 4 we leave early from Tournus as the place is deserted anyway and the air con in the car is playing up. I asked the girl at reception if she knew anywhere that could look at it and after phoning someone we were advised to open all the windows in the car.
We then arrive at Collioure on the French/ Spanish border looking like Wurzul Gummage, aunt Sally and scruffy the dog, as the wind has blown us to bits. 36 degrees outside, and my ears are chaffed with the wind. The place itself is beautiful, lovely beach, small streets with plenty of shops bars Ect, wish I was staying here longer.
Tomorrow on to Barcelona, as usual I get the seven hours on the ferry while lady muck and her pooch stay in the airport hotel and fly for half an hour in the morning! I'll let you know how we get on. GPM

scotslizzy 07-06-2015 21:30

Love It

I can just imagine what you both looked like with that image in my mind!
As long as the dog is ok .

Enjoy .

Scotslizzy

gpm 10-06-2015 10:01

Driving over just now

Had a lovely night in Collioure before setting off for Barcelona. It really is a beautiful place, it's changed hands over the years between France and Spain and has a unique feeling to it. We had Moulle Frites in a wee restaurant which had a choice of 6 different sauces with it, not expensive either. Will definitely stop on the way back again.
An hour and a half drive and we hit Barcelona, checked into the Airport hotel and jumped a taxi to La Ramblas where Lola strutted her stuff and as she's now in Season drove the Spanish dogs mad😼 I had to catch the 11 o'clock boat with the car while the other half and Lola spent a nice relaxing evening in the hotel before catching the early morning flight to palma. It was a bit of a nightmare finding the ship which was berthed a good ten minutes drive from the office where I picked up my ticket, but I got on and found my big leather chair, reclined it and fell into a nice sleep. 3 am and I am awoken by the worse snoring I have ever heard since my wife had blocked sinuses earlier this year. A big Spanish trucker had collapsed in a chair behind me and was snoring so loud somebody up front shouted at him but to no avail. I had to get up and find a quiet area to get some peace and at 6 am woke to the lights of Palma in the distance.
Off the ship and a short drive to the airport to be reunited with the love of my life, don't think the wife was too happy as Lola and I kissed and cuddled in the airport but another short drive later we arrive at PP and it's all been worth it.
I thought of the Spanish trucker as I drove into the square to see a guy with a huge pig on a lead, this is a new one even for PP.

mike_dublin 10-06-2015 10:24

Happy you all arrived safely in PP and thanks for another great 'trip report'.
Which airline did you you use from Barcelona to Palma?

Hope there'll be an update of how Lola enjoys her stay. ;)

Sparky 10-06-2015 10:26

Enjoyed reading your reports GPM, thanks for posting :D.

By the way the pig on the lead has been around for some time now, usually spotted along the Pinewalk ;).

gpm 10-06-2015 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_dublin (Post 104027)
Happy you all arrived safely in PP and thanks for another great 'trip report'.
Which airline did you you use from Barcelona to Palma?

Hope there'll be an update of how Lola enjoys her stay. ;)

Hi Mike, we use Vuelling, 25 euros for Margaret and 30 for Lola and once the planes taken off she can sit on your knee. I think it's up to 7 Kilos.

mike_dublin 10-06-2015 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpm (Post 104029)
Hi Mike, we use Vuelling, 25 euros for Margaret and 30 for Lola and once the planes taken off she can sit on your knee. I think it's up to 7 Kilos.

Thank you! That's great.

Disorderly 10-06-2015 22:29

What an interesting post! Thanks so much.

varsp 10-06-2015 22:53

gpm your post's were a tonic. So humerous, more please !

scotslizzy 11-06-2015 06:57

Good Stuff

You paint such vivid images with your detail. Keep posting please.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

CathB 11-06-2015 08:06

Brilliant..thats really made me chuckle this morning 😂😂