Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00

Janey, am involved with ESRA north and we are there to assist our members but am sure we could maybe give you some help. I will speak with the person responsible for ESRA support and get back to you. On a practical level if you need somewhere to stay so that you can visit your husband I would be happy to offer a bed(albeit in the lounge) and a lift to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20

Oh Janey, what an absolutely awful situation for you and your husband - I can only imaging what you are going through. I wish I could offer some practical help but I can see that you are getting some really useful advice and help from other caring forum people. All I can say is that my thoughts are with you and I really hope that it works out for you both

Love Rosiexx
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50

Thank you so much Lollipop. So very kind. I don't think there is much I can do until he has his MRI scan. I am hoping that he will be discharged when he is well and then I can come over and travel back with him. (that would be the best scenario). Until I know more I can only thank you and everyone else for all your kindness.

I have'nt heard anything from ESRA, but did speak to someone at the Consul who was going to get his personal belongings put in a safe for me. I stupidly left passport, money etc. in a cupboard in the ward. Not hinking straight! She said she would call me back.

Thanks again Lollipop.

Janey x
Old 12-07-2010, 13:40

Very sorry for this awful situation you find youselves in. Just thank god you did'nt board that flight. My best friend was brought down with a clot at the front right hand side of his brain just before last Christmas, allbeit he was in the comfort of his own home. After initially being told he was being rushed in for emergency brain op, the surgeon, on seeing his mri results, decided a course of steriods to reduce the swelling on the brain, and constant assessment to see if the clot would reabsorb itself (the most likely outcome apparently) was the best course of action. After 2 weeks in hospital he made a complete recovery. Was'nt long before he was even back scuba diving. Hope this can bring you a little comfort at this worrying time. I know its the least of your worrys right now, but please dont let you insurance company fob you off.
Old 12-07-2010, 16:25

Dear Janey,

I am so sorry to hear of your plight and I hope that your hubby makes a quick and complete recovery.

Just some thoughts on the travel insurance. If the company had known about the medication would they have refused cover or just increased the premium? If it is a case of an increased premium then I would imagine you should be able to get you money back. If they would have refused cover then it would be a little harder but they must have made it crystal clear that you needed to disclose that information for them to withhold payment.

If you struggle to get them to pay out then I would suggest that you make a complaint to the Financial Omdudsman. They are very sympathetic and they managed to get Direct Line to cough up £9000 to my daughter after DL tried to wriggle out of a motor claim with weasle words. Very often with the insurance companies persistance pays off, but don't be too slow to approach the Ombudsman, they are very good. You can find them on the attached link:-

Financial Ombudsman Service
Old 12-07-2010, 18:52

Thanks Alcanadakid, however don't think they will pay out. It was my mistake and stupidity not to mention his medication.

Janey.
Old 13-07-2010, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg1 View Post
Thanks Alcanadakid, however don't think they will pay out. It was my mistake and stupidity not to mention his medication.

Janey.
Don't give in too easily Janey. I didn't think my daughter had a chance but the Ombudsman was very sympathetic. It doesn't cost anything to use them
Old 13-07-2010, 19:47

Definitely Janey - do not give up on the insurance....I know you have lots on your mind at the moment but when you things are sorted out a bit more you have to pursue them.
They will get out of it if they can...but please go to the ombudsman.
If you don't know what to do...private message me and I will help you all I can.
Old 13-07-2010, 20:16

Thanks again. Haven't heard from them today, so will pursue them tomorrow.

Here's hoping...

Janey.
Old 13-07-2010, 21:07

Janey, As someone who has suffered a number of blod clots to the brain, first of all try not to worry too much, your husband is in good hands,after a MRI scan i was operated on immediately and started a full recovery almost immediately! Don't worry about not being with him, he's heavily sedated and it would make little difference, i mean that in the nicest possible way.

As others are saying don't let the insurance co. fob you off, i've suffered high blood pressure for the 20 years i've been going to PP and never had to declare any medication i've been taking. They'll be trying to wriggle out on the "pre-existing medical condition" card don't let them.

Last edited by Smiddy; 13-07-2010 at 21:11.
Old 13-07-2010, 21:28

Janey - Our thoughts are with you at this worrying time. It is a nightmare situation and its great to hear about Smiddy's positive experience. (so pleased all is well now Smiddy)

Another positive is all the really lovely people who are happy to help you - what a great bunch us human's are in tough times!!

Do please keep us informed of your husbands progress and lots of love.
Old 14-07-2010, 10:50

Thank you all for your advice. Contacted the insurers this morning still reviewing the case. I explained my husband had become slightly worse and was now definitely having an MRI scan at the end of this week or beginning of next week. She asked if they could arrange flights and hotel would I be able to go, so waiting to hear.

Thank you to lollipop once again for all your support.

Janey.
Old 14-07-2010, 11:32

Keeping everything crossed that he gets well soon, and insurance gets sorted out.
Old 14-07-2010, 12:52

Just a thought - if the medication that your husband was on have nothing to do with either preventing a blood clot or anything to do with it, couldn't you use this as a basis for your argument.

EG - you could be on high blood pressure medication and not declare it to your insurance company but if you fall, break your leg and need treatment then they couldn't wriggle out of paying up because it wouldn't have made any difference if you had declared it or not.

Not sure if I have made myself entirely clear here but hopefully you will get my drift!
Old 14-07-2010, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg1 View Post
Thank you all for your advice. Contacted the insurers this morning still reviewing the case. I explained my husband had become slightly worse and was now definitely having an MRI scan at the end of this week or beginning of next week. She asked if they could arrange flights and hotel would I be able to go, so waiting to hear.

Thank you to lollipop once again for all your support.

Janey.
That sounds very positive from the insurance company. If I can help in anyway send me a PM also. I am involved in the criminal side of law but I have another daughter who is a lawyer and who almost went to work for the Ombudman. (Different daughter to the one who won her claim)