Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 17:09

Default Help

Had a holiday disaster. The day we were due to fly home, my husband became extremely ill. Tried to call an ambulance, unable to do so, I called a doctor who was on an information sheet in the apartment to ask how I would go about this as I felt he needed urgent medical attention. She said she was only 5 minutes away and would come and see him first. She called an ambulance when she did arrive. I did ask about going to a public hospital, usong my E11 card, however she insisted we should go to the hosp in Muro. My husband was diagnosed with a blod clot at the back of his brain. To cut a long story short, I failed to mention with my insurance one of the drugs he has been recently prescribed and we don't think the insurance are going to pay. He was transferred to Son Dureta where he is currently being looked after. My family booked me a flight home lastnight as I could not afford to stay in Palma. Let this be a warning - make sure you do mention everything to insurers and use 'public' hospital if you are unsure. We have been given a bill of £2300. I'm afraid it's just a waiting game at the moment as he is heavily sedated and awaiting an MRI scan tomorow. Was thinking of calling the British Consul for advice as I hate him being on his own. Not sure what they could do if anything!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 19:09

I am so sorry to hear such sad news...how absolutely awful for you.
I so hope that you manage to get back to Mallorca very soon, and that your husband makes a full recovery.
There are so many lovely caring people on this forum and I am sure that someone with knowledge of dealing with this type of situation will be able to offer you some practical advice.

Thinking of you.
Susie.
Old 11-07-2010, 19:20

Thanks Susie. Just feel so helpless, also had to send my mum-in- law and son home on Thursday, upset too. I felt I had to come home for my little boy. It was difficult leaving my husband so alone lastnight. Met a lovely lady on the plane to chat to. Have also put a 'post' on thanking Josep at La Singala, so helpful and kind.

Janey
Old 11-07-2010, 19:27

Can't imagine what your are going through Janey but hope everything improves very, very soon.....and thank goodness for all the kind and helpful folk of this world.

Take care
Favie
Old 11-07-2010, 19:37

Janey....I just wish there was something that I could do to help you ...... I so hope that you get the support that you need very soon, and that your insurance company help and not hinder you at this time.
Thank goodness for the lovely caring people that have helped you so far.

Susie

Last edited by susiejb; 11-07-2010 at 19:52.
Old 11-07-2010, 21:02

Thank you for your best wishes. Like I say, just have to wait and see. Hope that someone from the Consul could maybe visit him for me and call me . He is heavily sedated and cannot tell me an awful lot at the moment. Have been coming to PP for 8 years now, but think next holiday will be at home. Although, cannot fault the attention he is getting at the moment, and the kindness from everyone I have spoken to. Exception being the hospital at Muro! No insurance, not interested!

Janey
Old 11-07-2010, 22:56

Janey - I am sorry - this sounds horendous for you.

First thing you have have to do I would say is get the British Consul involved.

Secondly do not let the insurance company fob you of - they must have a 'duty of care'.

Also perhaps somebody from ESRA North can help out here - isn't that what the idea is - helping us brits out locally in time of need - knowing who to call, who to speak to?
Old 11-07-2010, 23:11

Thats a good idea GG certainly worth a try if nothing else they may offer support.
Janey, I am so very sorry this has happened to you. I do hope your husband improves quickly and as GG said - keep the pressure up re the insurance.
Good luck and lots love
Old 11-07-2010, 23:37

I am so sorry to hear of your husbands illness I wish you all the best and I wish I could offer more help
Old 12-07-2010, 06:16

Thank you all for your support. Just about to 'google' ESRA north GG, as not sure what that is. Will call consul today and see if they can help. Even if it was just a visit to the hosp. I'll let you know how I get on.

Janey x
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35

Found ESRA website and have e-mailed them for advice. I hope I get a reply.

Thanks again everyone.

Janey.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18

Do not take insurance with RYANAIR as they DO NOT cover any PREVIOUS MEDICAL CONDITIONS & they are not prepared to discuss it,they take your money but your policy is just VOID. Find another Good policy & DECLARE your Medical History & pay the required premium- even cancelling any Ryanair Policy is difficult.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50

Janey another thought is the Red Cross, I work with the Red Cross here in the Uk and they help out in an amazing number of different situations, I believe they have a branch in Palma. It may be worth a try.

Susie
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58

Thank you so much Susie. Will try them now.

Janey.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00

My heart goes out to you Janey. It's so scarey when loved ones become ill, but when you're away from home? I can't imagine. Holidays aren't meant to go like that are they?

It sounds like you need a point of contact and someone to take the lead who knows the system. With all the advice that can be sort on this forum, I'm sure things will start to move soon enough.

Here's hoping your husband makes a speedy recovery.