Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 10:16

Question Do I need to bring anti mosquito sprays and plugs?

Hi. We're flying this Saturday and staying in Puerto Pollensa. Should I bring Mosquito sprays and those plug ins for each room?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 10:24

Red face

Dont worry about bringing them, they are readily available in all the supermarkets. I think you will need them though, we always plug them in at night before we go out and close the doors. Better safe than sorry, and I just HATE being woken up by an incessant buzzing and then have to wake hubby up - who cant hear it through his snoring - so we can find it and swat it!
THe plug ins work well.
Old 05-08-2008, 13:36

Default mosquito plug ins

Hi - we always, always, use the plug-ins and have never had a problem with mozzies - touch wood!
We take the old ones with us by rule - but this year guess who forgot to pack them - not me!
Anyway Belladonna is right - supermarkets do sell them. We bought three from the Eroski supermarket - they do their own version but although they had refills on the shelves they didn't have the actual electrical plug ins available.
But there was a make by Bloom which they also stock. They cost about 5 euros each and they come with a refill included. The liquid will easily last over two weeks even if you leave them plugged in all day.
Hope you enjoy a bite-free break!
Old 05-08-2008, 13:44

Now I must be honest - I haven't tried this! But I was reading ana rticle this weekend that suggested that the best way to protect against mozzies is to take plenty of Vitamin B. Apparently it results in your skin being unattractive to the little blighters.

As well as Vitamin B in tablet form, you can buy a product called "Don't Bite Me!" which is especially useful for small kids because it comes in the form of patches, you know, like nicorette patches (you put one over each eye so you can't find your fags!).

Anyway, I might well give this a try in future - like most people I hate being eaten alive!
Old 06-08-2008, 00:03

Eat marmite mozzies hate it, so provided you love it they should avoid you like the plague!!

I bought a liquid plug in last year at Caprabo ( Eroski) and like Bella switch it on at night before we go out and switch off in the morning. It is still half full (or half empty depending on your personality!! ) As we are normally in PP for about 6 weeks between June and September 5 euros is very good value...and not a single bite! Hope I've not spoken to soon
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robbo View Post
Hi - we always, always, use the plug-ins and have never had a problem with mozzies - touch wood!
We take the old ones with us by rule - but this year guess who forgot to pack them - not me!
Anyway Belladonna is right - supermarkets do sell them. We bought three from the Eroski supermarket - they do their own version but although they had refills on the shelves they didn't have the actual electrical plug ins available.
But there was a make by Bloom which they also stock. They cost about 5 euros each and they come with a refill included. The liquid will easily last over two weeks even if you leave them plugged in all day.
Hope you enjoy a bite-free break!
when you say the "plug-ins are they special ones for Mozzies or just the normal nice smellie ones? I have got a mozzie snapper I bought it from a pound shop and it makes a noise apparently when switched on through the night that they don't like I took it last year and it must have worked as I never got bit
PC
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38

Default mozzies

Hi there,
They're specially made for producing odours for mozzies - to be honest you can hardly smell them yourself.
They've worked an absolute treat in all the many years we've been going.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:39
Super Moderator

Hi PC, they mean the Mozzie repellent ones. I buy a huge aerosol can of insect spray and in the evenings before i go out, i close the doors and windows and spray every room.
Old 29-08-2008, 18:03

Are Mozzis around in September?
Old 29-08-2008, 23:16

YES!! Mozzies definitely around in September, even more so than July and August as it's been very hot and they prefer slightly cooler damper condtions..the heat wave's surely going to break soon I do hope not 'cos we're out tomorrow
Old 30-08-2008, 09:59

Hi - we always use the plug-in mozzie repelent as my daughter and I get eaten alive if not (even though we both love Marmite!). We keep them in our store cupboards and always plug them in as soon as we arrive in the apartemnt and leave them on permanently for the duration of our stay. Worth the small expense!

As I have a habit of also sitting out on ther terrace late into the evening/morning so I also use boots own anti-mozzie spray to keep the little b*****s away.
Old 30-08-2008, 10:05

Good advice Goffer - I get eaten alive too. I'm going to try the 'Don't Eat Me' patches I've read about too when I'm next out in October
Old 03-09-2008, 20:55

Talking Mozzies

I usually get eaten alive and have even had to have the remains of one bite chopped out of my arm several years ago, so returned on Monday from a week in PP with only ONE bite. This was amazing and due to a coordinated prevention strategy that started 4 weeks before travel (sad yes, but effective) took B vitamin tablets every day and also cod liver oil. Got some Don't Bite Me patches and replaced every night when we arrived, also instead of insect repellant or aftersun used Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray. I ate plenty of aioli, as mozzies are said to hate garlic. On an evening kept shutters closed and turned on plug ins, sprayed rooms before bed aswell with cheap spray from Eroski. It was an effort but worth it and I would recommend patches and Avon stuff. On only bite I used Neosaymol cream which pharmacist sold me in PP last year, it has hydrocortisone in it so itch never happens. This year I think I fnally beat the little devils!
Old 03-09-2008, 23:22

We have just returned back to our apartment after a full evening out, eating and walking and to my surprise - no mozzies, or any other flying insects for that matter - I think it must just be too hot for them at them moment, although this evening there was a lovely breeze - could have stayed out all night
Old 04-09-2008, 10:42

Have also heard reports on Avon Skin so soft being effective - although I have not tried it myself, even when I was a DingDong - Avon Calling lady myself!