Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 23:49

Default Mosquito Bites

I appear to be particularly attractive to mosquitoes and would be interested to know what the preferred methods of preventing bites are. Is is worth using a plug in device before switching the air con on?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 11:58

Default Mosquito bites

I read in an inflight magazine that taking Vitamin B -1 starting 2 weeks before your holiday and during your holiday reduces your chances of being bitten because the Thiamine in Vitamin B- 1 produces an odour on your skin ( undetectable to humans ) which repels mosquitoes.

The magazine recommended a dosage of 50-100 milligrams 2 or 3 times per day but I have read elsewhere that 25-50 milligrams 2 or 3 times per day is the recommended level.

I am not usually troubled by Mosquito bites but my wife is and she is going to give it a try.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05

Default mozzies

A local gentleman once told me that the best way to stop mozzies biting you all over during the night was to put jam on your big toe!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:11

How does that work Ann, do the wasps keep the mozzies away
Old 08-07-2008, 12:18
Super Moderator

Mozzies are the bane of my life, i have tried everything over the years. Jungle strength repellent, garlic,lemon,an electronic key ring. Even had all at the same time, the blighters still get me but JAM on the big toe sounds a bit messy Ann, LOL. I find the best solution in the apartment is those very large aerosols of insect killer, before we go out for the evening i close all the windows and liberally spray every room. At least i am safe during the night.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:30
Founder

When we went to Thailand we were advised to use the repellent with DEET which I haven't wanted to use before. But I did find that I was one of the few not to be bitten & only got really attacked on a night when I forgot. Since then I have started using it in PP as well. I don't like it but for me it does work.

If I do get bitten I do take Zirtek as well as I seem to react quite badly & one year had to get a rather unpleasant injection to counteract an allergic reaction.
Old 08-07-2008, 13:03

We have plug ins with a liquid in... not the fiddly tablets that you have to remember to put in every night. They last for ages too.

Works for me or maybe it's the marmite ..spread on my toast not me

Debs
Old 08-07-2008, 13:04
Super Moderator

I had to go to the pharmacia in PP after getting a really bad bite one year.
They sold me a can of Hydrocortisone Mousse, it only cost a couple of pounds but it was fantastic stuff. The itching and pain went within minutes and after less than 48hrs it was gone completely.
Old 08-07-2008, 13:24

Hi there
Kezza66 has a good point, one of our friends who spent a long time trekking through India included Vit B1 as part of her diet and stayed trouble free. We travel regularly to Thailand and stock up on Tiger Balm which is great for if you do get bitten and excellent for painful joints or injuries. I have wondered long and hard what purpose mozzies serve and can't seem to come to any conclusion.........I am just getting used to being bitten!!
Old 08-07-2008, 15:56

In PP i always get bitten . Once had a bite the size of my thigh . Tip is ladies . Dont wear perfume because it seems to attractive them . Well with me anyway
Yve
Old 08-07-2008, 16:40

A friend swears by tea tree oil as a repellent. A few drops added to your aftersun or body lotion. I've not tried it myself though, but thankfully mosquitoes don't seem too keen on me.
Old 08-07-2008, 16:59

Default Mozzies

This is a good topic for anyone travelling to the Med. There are always a good number of mozzies in PP, and you sometimes get them out of season too.
I agree with the earlier post which suggested taking Vit B tablets. They really do seem to work well - with the benefit that even when you perspire, there's nothing on your skin to rub off. Useful for those really hot days.

Also, a product which works well for me is Avon "Skin so Soft" dry spray oil. I can't remember who recommended it to me but it works really well as a deterrent. It's easy to put on and seems to have a fairly long-lasting deterrent effect. We went over to Victoria one day by boat and I was the only one who didn't get bitten due to having used this product. It's worth a try anyway.
Also, for soothing mozzie bites, simply dabbing on a bit of vinagre seems to work well. OK, you might want to wash it off later but it seems to take the sting and swelling out of bites if you catch them early with it.
Old 08-07-2008, 17:43

We use Jungle Fomula plug-ins and lotions and they always seems reliable.

A pharmacist also recommended the Avon lotion to me but I have never used it.
Old 08-07-2008, 18:16
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonh View Post
A pharmacist also recommended the Avon lotion to me but I have never used it.
You can buy the Avon lotion here http://www.puertopollensa.com/holida...html#cosmetics
Old 08-07-2008, 20:08

Before we went out to PP on 14th June one of you kind people warned that this was a mozzie year, due to the earlier damp weather - boy you were not kidding!

Tried buying the local mozzie candles to put on the table at the villa - boy did the little devils love those! Had their own private camp fire to dance around.....and the catering wasn't bad either! Ouch!

Tried all sorts of repellants, but it seems like putting salad cream on - they loved it even more!

Strange thing is, if we're away for two weeks, the mossies seem to take an interest after about three days and then get bored after a further five. I've no idea why!

Happy itching!!!