Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By copper
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By pollensafan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 19:10

Default Mosquito spray

What's everyone using these days?

Sparky, is there any Spanish secret to not getting bitten or do you know of any Spanish wonder repellent?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2019, 19:24

We were recommended Goibi ( I think ) highest strength in the chemist and it seems pretty good

They will always get you at some point though !
Bekki likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 16:44

I have bought citronella oil which people recommend you bathing in before you come out on hols. It is apparently really good and you can use it also when your on holiday for extra protection.

I have always relied on Avon’s Skin Do Soft spray or oil but last year I didn’t buy the original version, but a new scented version. I was bitten alive one night !!!!
Old 05-07-2019, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
I have bought citronella oil which people recommend you bathing in before you come out on hols. It is apparently really good and you can use it also when your on holiday for extra protection.

I have always relied on Avon’s Skin Do Soft spray or oil but last year I didn’t buy the original version, but a new scented version. I was bitten alive one night !!!!
Bekki,

The guys who worked for the Forestry Commission in Scotland used to use Avon Skin So Soft at work as it was the best proven product available. Unfortunately the company did not like the association and removed Citronella from the product. I still have a stash of it which I use when out fishing and when in PP. Never been bitten when I remember to apply it.

Cheers,

jimbo
Old 05-07-2019, 18:34

We use Jungle formula, stops most part from the odd one, always on my flipping ear!
Old 06-07-2019, 09:11

we have used Xpel from Pound shop and not been bitten since using it. This was recommended by someone who lives in Mallorca and gets suppies when visiting family in England.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
What's everyone using these days?

Sparky, is there any Spanish secret to not getting bitten or do you know of any Spanish wonder repellent?
They used to use me for target practice and i really suffered some bad reactions, but over the years things improved so now i rarely get bites and after a few hours they are gone. I only use an Eroski plug in in the bedroom but many locals use Goibi .
Old 06-07-2019, 10:36
Super Moderator

An interesting report in the DDM, here is a translation :-

Quote:
The lack of rain and the heat of this June cause fewer mosquitoes
The absence of rainfall has caused a decline in the most common species in rural environments, says the biologist Miranda - El mosquito tiger, the most common in Palma

Common mosquito or trumpeter mosquito (Culex pipiens), Aedes caspius, known as marsh mosquito and The tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus).
Common mosquito or trumpeter mosquito (Culex pipiens), Aedes caspius, known as marsh mosquito and The tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus).
The unusual heat recorded last June combined with the almost total absence of rainfall has contributed to fewer mosquitoes in these early summer, explains the biologist and professor of Zoology at the UIB , Miguel Ángel Miranda.

"The heat wave we have had in June has not gone well for the common mosquito (Culex pipens), which prefers lower temperatures, as well as the few precipitations we have had", the biologist points out the explanation for the scarce presence of These annoying insects in these early summer.

The population peaks of mosquitoes come with the spring rains of April and May, he continues . In agricultural areas and areas such as Sant Jordi pla, the rains cause puddles and favor the hatching of eggs laid the previous season. As this season has rained less, especially last June, where precipitation has been 98% lower than usual at this time, the populations of Culex pipiens and Aedes caspius have declined in these areas.

"With temperatures above 32 degrees, mosquitoes lose water through their breathing holes and have more problems developing, so their peaks occur in spring and autumn, when the most optimal temperature is recorded for them, around 25 degrees, "he says.

Miranda explains that these two species of mosquitoes proliferate in rural environments, especially caspius. The Culex pipiens would alternate them with urban spaces , "it is everywhere", the biologist points out, while the famous tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus) is eminently urban in character.

"Undoubtedly, the tiger mosquito is the most predominant now in Palma , it moves in urban and peri-urban environments, and it does not depend so much on rainfall because it grows in the pots with water and in the gardens of private properties. It also breeds in the sewers, but at a public level it is more controlled because campaigns are carried out to prevent its proliferation, "he says , recommending that the population avoid reservoirs of water where this insect can multiply.

On the bite of this mosquito, which has diurnal activity unlike its congeners, Miranda points out that, after being initially more annoying and painful, it has been assimilated by the population. "The reactions to their bites have been gradually becoming less allergic" , concludes with good news.
The original can be seen here :- https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mall...n/1431584.html
snowy2007 likes this.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:14

I've rarely suffered from bites over the years and I don't use any spray.
However, I have always consummed loads of garlic. (app 4 bulbs a week).

The down side unfortunately is not only does it repel mosquitos, but humans as well.

Ou well, you can't win em all.
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:53

Hi PollensaFan, how’s it going?. We just flew home on Sunday and poor Lorraine was terribly bitten. Have you been over lately?
Old 13-07-2019, 22:34

FWIW I’ve been savaged by mozzies over the past couple of days. Apparently the local insects have expensive tastes and are drawn to the Neal’s Yard Citronella spray I stole from my wife and covered myself in.