Puerto Pollensa Travel Guide
Before You Go
Package Holidays
Latest Special Offers!
All-Inclusive Hotels
Hotels & Aparthotels
Private Villas/Apts to Rent
Villa Companies
Local Rental Agents
Car Hire
Airport Transfers & Taxis
Travel Insurance
Late Deals!
Holiday Shopping
Background Info
Events & Fiestas
Climate & Weather
Art & Culture
Flora & Fauna
Discussion Forum
Once You're There
Airport Directions
Tourist Information
Eating Out
Buses & Trains
Music & Entertainment
Excursions & Days Out
Shopping & Markets
Walking, Cycling
Boat Charters
Market Place
Boats & Yachts
Property For Sale
Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2003, 01:10
Laura Writer
Posts: n/a
Default Am I covered?

I'm spending a few months over the winter in PP and perhaps permanently. My British GP told me that she knew a man who transferred his NHS health benefits to Spain when he moved there. Is this possible? Am I covered to see a GP with the E3111 form?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2003, 00:20
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 191


British visitors or those planning to live in Spain can obtain information about reciprocal health treatment from Dept of Social Security, Overseas Branch Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE98 1YX Tel: +44 (0) 191 285 7111
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 00:58
pollensa's Avatar
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 3,817
Default Re: Form E111 etc.

There's info about the E111 form here www.doh.gov.uk/traveladvice/

However I don't have any info on whether there are local Doctors operating under the Spanish Health service & where the nearest public hospital is. Can anyone else help here?

Rules for Spain as on the site above are:

"SPAIN (including the Canary and Balearic Islands)
Where to Obtain Information
GENERAL: District Offices (Dirección Provincial) of the National Social Security Institute (Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social – INSS) OTHERWISE; Health Service offices of the autonomous regions, eg; CATALONIA: Catalan Health Service (Instituto Catalan de la Salud).

National Institute for Health (Instituto Nacional de la Salud).

Doctors, Dentists & Prescriptions
It is essential to establish that the medical practitioner you consult works within the Spanish State Health Service. Treatment under the E111 arrangements is only provided by practitioners within the Spanish Health Service, and in some parts of the country, particularly the outlying islands, you may have to travel some distance to attend a surgery (consultorio), health centre (centro sanitaro) or hospital clinic (ambulatorio) operating within the health service. If you need to call out a doctor in an emergency, make it clear that you have an E111 and that you will want to be treated under the EC arrangements. Any time you need treatment, have a photocopy of your E111 ready; show the doctor the original and hand over the copy.

Dental treatment is not generally provided under the state system. The costs will not be reimbursed.

Important: In Spain, doctors, health centres and hospitals have separate surgery times for private patients and those treated under the health service. If you are asked to pay you are not being treated under the Spanish Health Service, but privately, and your E111 will not be accepted.

Medicines prescribed by health service practitioners can be obtained from any pharmacy (farmacia). You will have to pay up to 40% of the cost unless you are a UK or other EEA pensioner, in which case the medicines will be free of charge.

Hospital Treatment
Any hospital treatment you may need will usually be arranged by a doctor. If you require urgent treatment, it will only be provided free of charge in a public ward at a public hospital. Show your E111. You will have to pay 40% of the cost. If you are a UK or other EEA state pensioner, the medicines will be free of charge. If you fail to do this, you will be charged as a private patient and will not get your money back. Warning: Under the strict terms of the Spanish Health Service, refunds of private patient charges are not made. Make sure you have private medical insurance in case you are treated in an emergency in a private hospital."

Re long term cover it says:
You may be covered by the UK for health care for a limited period but if, after you have received your E111, you decide to live permanently in the other EEA country or to take up work there, you are not entitled to use Form E111. Send it to the DSS Benefits Agency, Pensions and Overseas Benefits Directorate (MED), at the address at Claiming Refunds, and you will be advised whether you are entitled to UK health care cover in your new country of residence. If appropriate, you may be issued with a different form.

If you go to work in another EEA country for up to a year, and it has been confirmed by the DSS, or the Social Security Agency in Northern Ireland, that you (and your employer if you are an employee) continue to pay UK national insurance contributions, you are entitled to form E128.

Those employed on a temporary posting, and any dependants who accompany them, are entitled to treatment required for ANY condition during the posting, using an E128. Apply to the Inland Revenue address above. If, however, a visit is made to a third EEA country you are only entitled to emergency treatment and will need a UK-issued E111.

If your employment/self-employment unexpectedly lasts longer than 12 months, and the appropriate insurance authorities of the EEA country in which you are working agree, you may remain under the UK scheme for a further period of not more than 12 months. For more information, please write to the address(es) above.

If you go to work in another EEA country for a foreign employer, neither form E128 nor form E111 is appropriate.

Write to the Inland Revenue address and give your full name; your address in the UK and abroad; your National Insurance number and your proposed date of departure. Further information is available in DSS leaflet SA29, available from Benefits Agency offices.

Hope the above is of some use but it would be useful to get feedback from any residents re how it all works in practice in Mallorca.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:18
pollensa's Avatar
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 3,817
Default Re: GL29 Going Abroad and social security benefits

Have come across this leaflet - you need Acrobat Reader to read it:

on the web site www.dwp.gov.uk Dept for Work & Pensions but it mainly seems to cover benefits & pensions & still suggests you get leaflet SA29 Your Social Security insurance, benefits and health care rights in the European Community and in Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway which I can't find an on-line version of (yet!).
Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2003, 20:55
Posts: n/a

hi laura,

my family live here and we are registered with the local surgery. if your working you take your contract to the surgery and register, thats all.
my daughter who has had back trouble recently registered as above, and had no problems.
if not working then the e111 is all you need.
emergency sevices are fine and last year rushed my youngest to the pac emergency clinic in alcudia and they delt with her quickly and never even asked to see paper work. i said we were living here and offered them passport and papers but they didnt bother to take them.
nothing here is as difficult as you imagine. only word of advice would be to speak some spanish as even if they do they wont tell you!!!
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(c) Copyright Holiday Webs Ltd 2011