Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bean Counter
  • 4 Post By Bean Counter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 15:51

Red face Where to go for an INR check while in PP

My husband has to take Warfarin and has today been told that he needs to have an INR test next week while we're on holiday in PP. Neither one of us speaks Spanish so what would be the best way to arrange this?

I haven't sorted our insurance yet (read Embarrassed emoticon which I don't know how to post!) but would be happy to go private if that guarantees ease of access and communication. He has a valid EHIC.

We arrive on Sunday and would need the check on Wednesday or Thursday. Any advice very gratefully received!
Sponsored Links
Old 21-08-2013, 16:39

Default Clinic in Puerto Pollensa

There are several private clinics in Puerto Pollensa so this should not be a problem for you.

I have used the Salus clinic opposite Bonys on the main square. The lady doctor I saw there spoke excellent English. You could ask the Receptionist there how much they would charge for the test you need and also how quickly they will be able to get the tests back to you.

I am sure that there will be several other good suggestions of clinics to go to but at least you have a starting point now.
Old 21-08-2013, 17:45
Super Moderator

I am not sure if they could do this test at the health centre, it might take a bit longer to get the results but you could always pop in and ask and of course it would be free if you produce his EHIC and passport.
Old 21-08-2013, 20:28

re EHIC

Visitors to Spain

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Spain at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free when on a temporary stay. The Spanish health authority determines what treatment is considered necessary and cannot wait until your return to the UK.

The EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions, although it does not cover you if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment. In this case, see our section about Seeking medical treatment in Europe.

The EHIC also covers you for routine maternity care provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

Plus dont forget to declare to your Travel Insurers all Pre existing medical conditions if required to under the terms and condtions of the Travel Insurance
Old 21-08-2013, 21:29

Quote:
Plus dont forget to declare to your Travel Insurers all Pre existing medical conditions if required to under the terms and condtions of the Travel Insurance
Absolutely, Tiggy, I'm paranoid about declaring! But I've left it so late this time to insure, I think it will cost an arm and a leg, particularly with this additional little detail! Still, I think it's worth it just in case we ever needed repatriation!!! Here's hoping we never have to claim
Old 22-08-2013, 10:28

Default Thanks for the suggestions

Many thanks for the suggestions, Lorenzo and Sparky. We'll try the Health Centre first and then Salus. I'm sure that one or the other will at least be able to p;oint us in the right direction if they can't do it.
Sparky likes this.
Old 11-09-2013, 18:19

Default INR Blood check in PP

Back home now after an excellent 2 weeks in PP. As we were staying very nearby, we decided to go to the Salus Medical Centre, just off the Square, opposite Bony's. Went on the Monday and were told to come back on the Wednesday between 9 and 1. Duly had blood taken in the morning and went back at 6 pm for the results. We were charged the princely sum of 16 euros!

Thanks, again, to Lorenzo and Sparky for their advice.
pollensa, Mark, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 11-09-2013, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Back home now after an excellent 2 weeks in PP. As we were staying very nearby, we decided to go to the Salus Medical Centre, just off the Square, opposite Bony's. Went on the Monday and were told to come back on the Wednesday between 9 and 1. Duly had blood taken in the morning and went back at 6 pm for the results. We were charged the princely sum of 16 euros!

Thanks, again, to Lorenzo and Sparky for their advice.
Thanks for this info BC - my hubby is on warfarin and it is always useful to know these things - glad you had a great holiday