Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   International schools in Mallorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/9261-international-schools-mallorca.html)

codex 29-08-2012 10:02

International schools in Mallorca

We're in the process of planning our move to Mallorca, we're planning on living on the island for a year whilst we work out whether or not it's the right place for us to live. We've visited the islands on numerous occasions (and love it), but living there would be very different. Initially we'd like to send our children to an international school with a UK curriculum so that if we did have to return to the UK with our tail between our legs, the upheaval for the kids would be minimised.

Does anyone have any information that they'd be willing to share about their experiences with international schools on the island (good or bad)? Our two children are both in key stage 1 at the moment, so early days, but any help I can get would be appreciated.

Chocaholic 29-08-2012 15:20

Hi Codex,

I didn't go to an international school myself, just a local one, but at the time I was the only English child there that meant that I learnt Spanish and Catalan quickly, a lot quicker than other children I mixed with who were at the international schools.

The education level is not the same as it used to be, a lot of this is because of all the foreign children in the schools, however even though I understand your reasons to send your children to an internation school, I don't think on a long term basis they are a better proposition than the Spanish schools, not when you consider the costs involved. (I speak only from my experience of children in and coming out of some of these schools compared to the ones in Spanish schools).

codex 29-08-2012 20:24

Thanks Chocaholic,

Have to say, we're torn between sending them to an international school or a state school. I think for the first year whilst we decide whether the island is the right place for us to live it's the most sensible option to send them to an international school. I'd always thought sending them to a state school would increase their chances of mixing with the community and feeling at home, but if we might chop and change, then keeping the curriculum the same seems the best bet. I'd expect that if we intended to stay on the island we'd have to reconsider our options, the most important to us would be the kids happiness, the quality of their education and ultimately how well the school suits them.

Out of interest, do you have any views and opinions on particular state schools on the island? You could always send me a message if you don't want to post in public. Our biggest concern with state schools would be the risk of the problems with the economy affecting the quality of education that they're able to provide. With the best will in the world, it can be difficult to teach without suitable resources. Not to mention that if salaries are not maintained, the best teachers are likely to leave for more lucrative prospects.

Chocaholic 30-08-2012 14:09

Hi Codex,

It's a long time since I was at school, and having no children of my own, I'm not really sure I am in a position to give you good advice. Best to speak with parents in the area.

One thing I would say, try to keep them out of a school that has too many other English children, it will prevent them from mixing with the local children and from learning Spanish and Mallorquin. Maybe the Pollensa town schools are a better option.

Regarding the situation because of the crisis, I really couldn't say, it is sure to cause some problems,but as I said, you're probably better speaking to to other parents.