Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Dirty pools (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/9043-dirty-pools.html)

alcanadakid 12-07-2012 18:47

Dirty pools

We came back this week after a month away to find that the pool bottom and sides were quite dirty, despite our regular pool guy trying to clean it. He blamed it on the recent hot weather and storms. It is proving very difficult to remove.

Has anyone had a similar experience and any suggestions?

PP76 12-07-2012 22:28

We have had a similar experience and our pool man told us the same, I have to say I thought he just had not been as often when we were not in PP, perhaps he is right?

PP76

alcanadakid 13-07-2012 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP76 (Post 73594)
We have had a similar experience and our pool man told us the same, I have to say I thought he just had not been as often when we were not in PP, perhaps he he right?

PP76

I had similar thoughts!

Project 16-07-2012 18:43

Sounds to me like the PH has been allowed to get too high. It can cause scaling. Or perhaps the water hardness needs bringing down.
Storms will introduce nitrogen into the water which in turn gives lurking algae a feast, but this just brushes off the walls where it starts if caught early and hyper chlorinated.
A bad PH will cause a multitude of problems.........

Untitled Document

alcanadakid 17-07-2012 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidburn (Post 73804)
Sounds to me like the PH has been allowed to get too high. It can cause scaling. Or perhaps the water hardness needs bringing down.
Storms will introduce nitrogen into the water which in turn gives lurking algae a feast, but this just brushes off the walls where it starts if caught early and hyper chlorinated.
A bad PH will cause a multitude of problems.........

Untitled Document

Sounds like you are the expert!

Our PH is always high. I probably put in a tub each week of PH minus. Every few years, or so we, drain the pool and you are right it is heavily scaled. Does this scale contribute to increasing the PH and that is why it is always high? When we are out of the swimming season could I reduce the scale by putting in numerous tubs of PH minus?

Project 17-07-2012 16:08

PH is the king when it comes to pool chemistry. Keep this level correct and you will avoid many problems.
High PH CAUSES scaling not vice versa. The water hardness may also be causing scaling.
Is your pool topped up by a well? Sounds like you are going through way too much PH minus.
If you want an assessment you can contact me on info@projectmaintenance.org
I do advertise here, so I think it's ok for me to put my email here....

alcanadakid 18-07-2012 08:40

Our make up water is from the mains and it is also high in PH.

Not sure what an assessment would do except tell us that the PH is too high.

its cd 25-11-2012 19:23

Our community pool has not been as clear as in previous years despite the same people managing it. I have to say it us usually crystal clear and has not been a problem this year but was just not up to its usual high standard

The explanation I have been given is that the water delivered by the town hall had too high a PH this year which made it very difficult to stabilise the pool chemistry ........ But things are not expected to be the same next year

Anyone else heard similar?

alcanadakid 26-11-2012 19:22

We always have a high PH in our pool but stabilise it by adding "PH minus" to get it down to the correct level. It is not a problem to do this, but obviously there is a cost involved. We spend about €20 per month for a 50m3 pool

A high PH can gives lots of problems for maintenance, so it is better to keep it in balance.

alcanadakid 26-11-2012 19:34

We have just drained and cleaned our pool, using "Gelacid" purchased from the pool shop in Pollensa. It was easy to do using a broom to apply to the walls and then hosing off.

Earlier in the year we had problems with Calcium deposits on the walls, but by keep the PH down we have managed to dissolve it off. This was on the advice of the Pollensa pool shop who are incredibly helpful.

Nice clean pool now!