Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 18:44

Smile Getting closer!

Hi all

We are here in pp. We viewed our property today and are so close but apprehensive! We appreciate any advice at this time. it's so cold today!

Sparky did you get my message?

Max
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 19:12
Super Moderator

Hello Max, no i have not had a message from you .
Old 11-02-2012, 19:56

I have inboxed u Let me know if u don't get it. X
Sparky likes this.
Old 11-02-2012, 20:41

Hi Max

The only advice as someone who has been where you are twice is to take your time! Do not feel pressured by anyone to make any quick decision. If in any doubt then walk away. Take a backward step and evaluate everything. If this doesn't work out then there are many more that might. Just be careful and take your time and importantly take the right advice from the right people!
Good luck!
JMD40 and Maxalan1 like this.
Old 11-02-2012, 20:45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxalan1 View Post
I have inboxed u Let me know if u don't get it. X
Yesssss!!! i got it Max well done you .
Maxalan1 likes this.
Old 11-02-2012, 23:16

When you say you are apprehensive what are you apprehensive about? Are you unsure whether this particular property is THE one for you, or are you having double thoughts as to whether you should be buying anything at all at the moment? There are some truly fantastic bargains to be had at the moment and 99% of properties can be knocked down. If you share your thoughts it may make interesting reading what people think although remember normally the answers here are peoples personal opinions which are not always the legal or professional answer but it will give you some things to think about. Good luck and I hope you make the right choice.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04

I also would like to add that the running costs of owning a house in Pollensa are very high and is something else to think about.

For anyone thinking of buying to rent out with the view that the rent will pay the mortgage please do think very seriously as this rarely happens.

It is a big move with many consequences buying abroad for any reason. Just because something seems to be a bargain may not always be the right reason to buy.

I also think that on the spot decisions are not always the right ones although for some can work. Personally I think to do your homework and then come away from the situation to do a full evaluation would be a good way forward.

Whatever you decide take care, take good independent legal advice and don't be pushed by anyone. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20

Thanks everyone.

I have no doubts about the move to the island. It is just a big decision regards to my job. Our children are grown up. My husband works in europe and is worried that I would be lonely!

Will postmore soon We are just off to pollensa Market.

Max
Sparky likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10

There are plenty of things happening to help you get out and about meeting people. There is always someone to speak to ,have a coffee with. Perhaps if we knew of some of your interests then we could point you in the right direction.
Maxalan1 likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 19:04

It depends a little on the type of social life you lead back in UK and what your favourite past times are. If you are happy with your own company and gentle strolls and coffees then that is fine. If you like the rush of the City, theatre and a buzz then it may just be too quiet here. The good thing of course is to be seeing PP at its worst - January/February when almost everywhere is closed and the locals rarley go out - except when it snows when they are all out!! Having said that you can join ESRA, darts nights, dancing classes, a gym, helping at the animal refuge, adopt a dog from one of the many refuges, badminton classes, tennis classes, spanish classes, swimming classes and I am sure there are many more classes/events that I do not know about. Its a totally different way of life to what you are used to and its far from easy anymore. Good luck and keep us all informed of what you do. Could you not rent long term for 12months rather than purchase a property so that your money is safe whilst you test the ground. Here in Spain you can take a year off your job whilst you try something else (not sure under what conditions) but does something similar exist in UK? Could you work here??
pollensa and eleanor like this.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:20

I think JMD40 is spot on and has given some good constructive advice here. I do think the idea of renting for a year is an excellent one. To see PP through all the seasons with the advantages and disadvantages is well worth considering. Good luck!
JMD40 likes this.
Old 13-02-2012, 09:30

I also agree with the last two posts ..... and ask yourself how good am I coping with emergencies (no support Hubby is away ) and then ask yourself again how would I cope with the following :
Burst pipe in the middle of the night.
Dealing with local police following a bump in the car not in English
Call from UK must get back now family member ill/died suddenly and unexpectedly
Or own serious illness whilst here.

Check out Culture Shock Spain website and other sites for prep for ex pats

Do not be blinded by the sunshine but embrace the cloudy days as well-

Having lived ex UK for over 12 yrs I can recommend it but also replaced my rose tinted glasses pdq
Old 13-02-2012, 09:51
Banned

Blimey........................you're a "glass half empty" person !!!!!
Old 13-02-2012, 09:58

I dont think it was meant that way Nick, more of practical view. And I do think its a good idea to be aware of these things. To be fair, I struggle with them in England sometimes! Always a good idea to have long breaks somewhere before the no return jump is finally made. You can always top up the glass!
pollensa, JMD40, Rosie34 and 2 others like this.
Old 13-02-2012, 10:45
Super Moderator

I think we can safely say that Max has seen the place at it's worst ie with nobody about and of course the awful weather . Also in an earlier post she said that her husband worked away a lot, so she must be pretty independent.
I too would recommend living here for a while before making the final decision, but everyone's circumstances are different and after talking to Max i know hers are nothing like mine. That said i wish her well in whatever she decides to do .
lollipop and Maxalan1 like this.