Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Ferry Fares (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/8387-ferry-fares.html)

YLD43 02-02-2012 21:27

Ferry Fares

Quote:

Originally Posted by YLD43 (Post 67818)
Hi all, I am new to the forum and not yet managed to post, please excuse my computer ignorance ! but could someone please advise me as to how one posts !

Does anyone know if you have an NIE number, are you entitled to a "residents" discount ? if so, how much is the % discount ?, thanks

El Gordo 03-02-2012 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by YLD43 (Post 67825)
Does anyone know if you have an NIE number, are you entitled to a "residents" discount ? if so, how much is the % discount ?, thanks

Hi YLD

The NIE Number ( Numero de Identitad de Extranjero ) is a number given to all "Foreigners" who wish to buy property in Spain. It is not an indicator of residential status. :eek:

Hope someone else can elaborate on this? :)

Let us know how you get on.

majprop 03-02-2012 12:23

Hi YLD43, The N.I.E. number is your fiscal identity property owners and residents must have one, the discount for residents applies only to residents and is for travel to and from the peninsula and nothing else, in the case of ferries the discount only applies to the passengers travelling and not to the transport i.e. a car.

Deanscroft 04-02-2012 12:54

To get the discount, which is generally 50% of the passenger fare, you will need to produce a Residents Certificate or card either when booking the tickets (if done at a travel Agent or the Ticket Office) or at the Terminal when checking in (if booked on line). As Majprop says it only applies to travel between the islands and the Spanish Mainland on ferries and planes.

usandthewoof 05-02-2012 12:37

Residents travel discount

I know that to take advantage of the resident discount when you fly to the mainland you also have to produce your Certificat de Empadronamiento _ not sure if you would also need this to cross by ferry ?

majprop 07-02-2012 11:02

I travel to thge mainland a lot by plane and ferry and have never been asked for my certificado de empadronamiento only my targeta or nowdays certificado de residencia.

lollipop 07-02-2012 18:11

There is a certificate called Empadromiento Viajes, (travel permit) and I have had both this and my residencia paper checked, but you would definitely have to have the residencia card or paper as if not they can charge you as some people found out to their peril last year when they turned up at the airport without it when going on a group holiday.

YLD43 07-02-2012 21:34

Thanks everyone for your advice, it's been very helpful, looks like i am going to have to pay a very expensive ferry crossing for my car and trailer !!

whaleywanderer 08-02-2012 10:07

I'm sure it will be worth it when you get there though.:)

Jilly 28-05-2012 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanscroft (Post 67874)
To get the discount, which is generally 50% of the passenger fare, you will need to produce a Residents Certificate or card either when booking the tickets (if done at a travel Agent or the Ticket Office) or at the Terminal when checking in (if booked on line). As Majprop says it only applies to travel between the islands and the Spanish Mainland on ferries and planes.

Thanks, really helpful comments.

We have an official letter giving us our NIE number, it is from the Ministerio del Interior and is headed Cuerpo Nacional de Policia

Would appreciate your thoughts on 2 questions

1) Is this the residents certificate ?
2) Is this sufficient to get the ferry discount on Balearia ? (Can't quite get an answer on this from their website)

Thanks for your help

Mr Jilly

Sparky 28-05-2012 23:24

In these troubled times there is a crackdown on this, because there were a lot of people abusing the system. As i understand it you have got to have the " CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO DE CIUDADANO DE LA UNION" as proof of residence, this is the only way you will get the discount on both air and ferry travel between the mainland to the islands.

barefoot 29-05-2012 08:46

So, unfortunately Mr Jilly, the answer is no!

Jilly 31-05-2012 16:08

Thanks for the help, about to book the ferry using the NIE numbers !

Any pointers on where to obtain the CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO DE CIUDADANO DE LA UNION when we are UK based ?

Really useful help again

Mr Jilly

majprop 31-05-2012 16:30

As far as I am aware, only from the town hall of the municipality in which you live here in Mallorca, There appears to be some confusion here, the CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO DE CIUDADANO DE LA UNION is your certificate of residency or residents permit, the certificate required by the airlines and ferries etc is the certificado de empadronamiento which is proof that you are registered on the electoral role in your municipality OR you can present another document called a certificado de viajar although I did read in a report some two months ago in the Diario de Mallorca that the empadronamiento was the one now required for discounts.

El Gordo 31-05-2012 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 71628)
Thanks for the help, about to book the ferry using the NIE numbers !

Any pointers on where to obtain the CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO DE CIUDADANO DE LA UNION when we are UK based ?

Really useful help again

Mr Jilly

I think you may be missing the point everyone is making, in that you need to be a resident of Mallorca, that is spend more than 6 months per year there so as to be aregistered and therefore resident for tax purposes!!

Or am I missing the point!!!:confused: