Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 16:46

Default Living in Pollensa area

Me and hubby are well on the way with our plans to move to Pollensa area later this year. Although it is has been our dream for when we retire I imagine there will be a short period when we miss our children and grandchildren. I just wondered if anyone had any tips on dealing with this or would share some of their experiences. We are both very resilient and resourceful people but even so we are still human!!
Thank you.
M
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 20:16

In a word - Skype!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:13

Living in a beautiful place like PP I'm sure you will see your family often and for longer periods! Better get a place with a couple of guest rooms.

It's a couple of hours away and easier to get to than living a few hundred miles away in the UK.
Old 06-01-2012, 20:42

I agree with Deanscroft. Skype is simply fantastic for day to day free video conferencing.

I moved to Brisbane five years ago and felt terrible for leaving parents, etc, behind. Before I left Scotland I got my mum and dad a computer and religiously taught them how to skype, email, etc. They are now both in their 80s but I still manage to skype with them. A telephone call simply doesn't compare. On the odd occasion when we've been unable to skype and have had to resort to the phone my mum is so depressed, so skype has eased my guilt no end! I'm sure you won't miss your children and grandchildren half as much when you can skype with them.

I'm moving to Puerto Pollensa for seven months from September and meeting my parents, etc, there for a couple of weeks, then they might come out again in March/April before I head back to Brisbane. In between times I intend to continue to skype with them. If I'm there when you are and you need help with skype just let me know.

Steve.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44

Thank you so much for all your replies and your offer of help with Skype Steve. I may well take you up on that offer! I have installed Skype on my laptop and intend to learn to use it before too long, however i do need to buy a headset and microphone.
M
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie50 View Post
Thank you so much for all your replies and your offer of help with Skype Steve. I may well take you up on that offer! I have installed Skype on my laptop and intend to learn to use it before too long, however i do need to buy a headset and microphone.
M
Millie, if your laptop is a fairly recent one then this is usually all built in. However, if you were Skyping from a smartphone you would need earphones with mic built in.
Old 07-01-2012, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie50 View Post
M
I used to use headphones with a mic with my old laptop because using the built-in mic and speakers used to cause echo. I have a new laptop now and don't need to use headphones and mic. You'll find skype really easy to use, if you have any problems or need advice send me a private message. You'll no doubt get skyping with your kids, etc, before you leave, as I did.

Steve.
Old 08-01-2012, 14:14

Hi millie50
I hope it works out well for you, it certainly seems to for many. My only word of warming would be as follows. Anyone who has been on this site for more than four years will know I posted all the time. I had a home in the Port for many years and planned to live there full time for ages. We had done all the research and felt quite integrated into the life before we moved. Once there to live we found we were able to get loads of help, support and real friendships from both the Anglican church community and ESRA ( English Speaking Residence Association)
Our children and grandchildren came regularly but we soon found that no matter how much you think you are prepared for seperation from those you love, it's really hard. In the end after 2 years we came home
I'm not saying it won't work for you, it may well do, I'm just saying you won't really know until you've done it
Sorry if this is a little negative, I don't mean it to be. We just need to be honest
Best of luck
Old 08-01-2012, 14:58
Super Moderator

Hi Millie, Mallorcaboy is quite right when he says you won't know until you have tried it. We are now in our 4th year living here and hand on heart i can honestly say we have never been happier but everyone's expectations and circumstances are different. Our son is in the Royal Navy and has not lived close to home for many years consequently we are used to not seeing much of each other, maybe that has made it easier for us.
With the internet, communication is much easier than it was years ago and when son, daughter in law and grandson visit i think we enjoy each other more than if we got together more regularly.
I don't have a crystal ball to see into the future, maybe one day things will change, i don't know, but i do know that for now our life is good and we are happy knowing we will never regret following our dream even if one day it might end.
Old 08-01-2012, 17:18

That is what I like about this board, two very calculated ,honest replies from which we can all benefit.

Top jockey!
Sparky likes this.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:54

Thanks for further replies. I do value your honesty. Moving to Mallorca is something we have wanted to do for years, we are really well prepared now (as far as we can be) but I do feel that we should have a 'suck it and see' approach. I have set up Skype and had my first video call yesterday with my daughter as a test run! Amazing is what springs to mind. It will be really brilliant to communicate when we do come over. Just got to find some way of getting broadband now!
Thanks once again
Mx
Old 09-01-2012, 21:59

learn the language, go to the free catalan classes in winter and generally try to mix with the natives.Don't keep converting costs back into sterling.Good luck,it's a fabulous place to live, and finally I would say live in the old town, as PP (like all resort towns)always gets that 'out of season loads of places shut feel in winter.
Old 10-01-2012, 14:08

I agree with Ray,look at options in Pollenca,its an all year round town.
A lovely place to live,always something going on,people are welcoming and its a comforting place to live,CSV,PP all the beaches are only a 10 mins away and the evenings are special all year round!
Old 10-01-2012, 16:15

Where would i find out about Catalan and Spanish classes? and what is the best way to mix with the locals?
thanks
M
Old 10-01-2012, 16:41

M.Do a bit of homework with a phrase book,walk around town a few times,buy a drink in the sq and go into Club Pollenca and mix!!
Youre bound to start a conversation eventually.
In a town so small you come across thr same people most days,its easy to feel part of it.