Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 17:17

Default How to apply for residency

As a British couple, we have just moved to Pollensa and we are told that we have to apply for residency.

Please can anyone tell us or advise us who can help with this process

Many thanks

Ursula
Sponsored Links
Old 18-09-2011, 08:37

Don't be brow-beaten into this. Most people who live here eventually apply for residency, but its not something you have to do immediately. I know people who have lived here for years and still don't have it.
Old 18-09-2011, 10:06
Super Moderator

Barefoot it quite correct however you do really need an NIE number, which you will have if you own a property but not if you rent. For you to be able to buy a car you have to have this number but you also get benefits by holding a certificate of residency, for example you can get big reductions in air and ferry fares within Spain .

P.S. You will find some info here if you still want to go ahead :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...encia-nie.html

Last edited by Sparky; 18-09-2011 at 10:53. Reason: P.S added.
Old 18-09-2011, 12:54

Many Thanks Barefoot and Sparky

The reason I asked about residency was because we have a web design business and it is imperative that we have high speed internet access and the telecomms guys all seem to want a NIE number which I thought you had to have residency to obtain? Is this correct

Many thanks
Ursula
Old 18-09-2011, 15:28

No as Sparky says you can have NIE without residency, in fact most owners who 'come and go' would have NIE but not residency.
Old 18-09-2011, 18:21

Someone told me that the large discounts which were available to residents on air and ferry were to either stop or be available to all as it was against the EEC regulations and goes against equal equality.
Anyone know if this is correct?
Old 18-09-2011, 18:41

Hi Ursula

If you send me a private message with your e.mail address I will let you have a copy of an article I wrote for ESRA some time ago. This gives detailed instructions on where to go, what documents you need, costs etc.

Deanscroft
Old 18-09-2011, 19:27
Super Moderator

Deanscroft please feel free to post your article on here, i am sure many people would find it interesting and very useful for those thinking of relocating in the future.
Old 19-09-2011, 10:43

How to Apply for a Residencia

Having just spent a happy morning (not) trying this out I thought that my experience might be useful to those that follow. If possible please read this in conjunction with Michael Bookers article as published in the December 2007 ESRA North Newsletter.

The building you need to go to in Palma is the large grey one at the west (bay) end of the Calle de Cuidad Queretaro. There is plenty of parking in front, to the side, and behind the building but it fills up very quickly. Like a lot of places here there is an abundance of ‘unofficial’ car-park attendants only to willing to point at a space in exchange for a tip. What would happen if you don’t tip I leave you to guess.

Although the front door is labelled Officina Unica de Extranjeria this is not the door you go to! The one you want is 50m along to the left and is not labelled. It can be recognised by the huddle of people outside filling in forms and smoking.

Once inside the guy at the front desk checks your passport and NIE and gives you two forms to complete. Both are quite simple but a basic grasp of Spanish is required. On the first form you need to fill in NIE and Passport numbers, first middle and last names, date place and country of birth, nationality, sex (do not put yes please!), fathers and mothers first names, Spanish address, telephone number, details of any previous residence, and date for this residence to commence. Part 2 of the form is for similar information for any dependants to be added. The second form (called a 790) is to take to the bank to pay the 6.80€ fee.

Paying the fee is not as easy as it sounds. The nearest bank is on the Avinguda de Mexico opposite the park. Being the nearest they get overwhelmed by numerous ‘foreigners’ and will now only accept payment on Tuesdays or Thursdays between 08.30 and 10.30. I arrived purely by luck on a Tuesday but at 10.35! The next bank on the corner of Avinguda de Mexico and Manuel Azana is the same. To find a bank that would accept the payment I had to walk the length of Manuel Azana and turn onto Calle de Manacor. A thirty minute round trip.

Having returned to the Office the guy at the front desk checks your forms and issues you a number to indicate your position in the queue. The next problem becomes obvious when you pass through the door into the waiting room. Everyman and his dog now come on Tuesday or Thursday when they can pay at the nearest bank. There are 67 numbers in front of mine. The answer to this is either come on a different day and use a distant bank or if you can make two journeys come on Tuesday or Thursday to collect your forms and pay and then come back on a different day to get it processed.

67 numbers took an hour and a half to process. This is not strictly true as it appeared that at least a dozen had either given up and gone home or were hidden somewhere inside the cloud of tobacco smoke enveloping the front door and therefore mixed their turn. Once called to a counter it couldn’t be simpler. You hand over the forms and the photocopy of your passport, which you have remembered to bring havn’t you? Your details are typed into the computer which instantly spits out your Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union.

Isn’t bureaucracy wonderful!

Note - This article was written in 2007 – things may have changed (probably for the worse!)
Old 19-09-2011, 11:00

Ursula, do yourself a favour and engage the services of a local gestor. Paul Danks in the port will doubtless be happy to advise you. He can sort out your NIE. Not sure what status your business will have (where it's located and what this means for tax), but he can also advise you. Plus you would need to get into the social security system.
Old 19-09-2011, 12:55

Paul Danks is great for providing detailed advise regarding the law but I am pretty sure that I am right in saying that he is not a gestor. Personnally I have found it very rewarding to sort out things for myself. Depends whether you like a challenge.
Old 19-09-2011, 18:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
How to Apply for a Residencia

Having just spent a happy morning (not) trying this out I thought that my experience might be useful to those that follow. If possible please read this in conjunction with Michael Bookers article as published in the December 2007 ESRA North Newsletter.

The building you need to go to in Palma is the large grey one at the west (bay) end of the Calle de Cuidad Queretaro. There is plenty of parking in front, to the side, and behind the building but it fills up very quickly. Like a lot of places here there is an abundance of ‘unofficial’ car-park attendants only to willing to point at a space in exchange for a tip. What would happen if you don’t tip I leave you to guess.

Although the front door is labelled Officina Unica de Extranjeria this is not the door you go to! The one you want is 50m along to the left and is not labelled. It can be recognised by the huddle of people outside filling in forms and smoking.

Once inside the guy at the front desk checks your passport and NIE and gives you two forms to complete. Both are quite simple but a basic grasp of Spanish is required. On the first form you need to fill in NIE and Passport numbers, first middle and last names, date place and country of birth, nationality, sex (do not put yes please!), fathers and mothers first names, Spanish address, telephone number, details of any previous residence, and date for this residence to commence. Part 2 of the form is for similar information for any dependants to be added. The second form (called a 790) is to take to the bank to pay the 6.80€ fee.

Paying the fee is not as easy as it sounds. The nearest bank is on the Avinguda de Mexico opposite the park. Being the nearest they get overwhelmed by numerous ‘foreigners’ and will now only accept payment on Tuesdays or Thursdays between 08.30 and 10.30. I arrived purely by luck on a Tuesday but at 10.35! The next bank on the corner of Avinguda de Mexico and Manuel Azana is the same. To find a bank that would accept the payment I had to walk the length of Manuel Azana and turn onto Calle de Manacor. A thirty minute round trip.

Having returned to the Office the guy at the front desk checks your forms and issues you a number to indicate your position in the queue. The next problem becomes obvious when you pass through the door into the waiting room. Everyman and his dog now come on Tuesday or Thursday when they can pay at the nearest bank. There are 67 numbers in front of mine. The answer to this is either come on a different day and use a distant bank or if you can make two journeys come on Tuesday or Thursday to collect your forms and pay and then come back on a different day to get it processed.

67 numbers took an hour and a half to process. This is not strictly true as it appeared that at least a dozen had either given up and gone home or were hidden somewhere inside the cloud of tobacco smoke enveloping the front door and therefore mixed their turn. Once called to a counter it couldn’t be simpler. You hand over the forms and the photocopy of your passport, which you have remembered to bring havn’t you? Your details are typed into the computer which instantly spits out your Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union.

Isn’t bureaucracy wonderful!

Note - This article was written in 2007 – things may have changed (probably for the worse!)
Deanscroft thank you for taking the time to post this info .
Old 30-10-2011, 19:13

We used Mallorca solutions, who made the process quick and painless. If you've just moved over and are not confident in the lingo or don't have time to burn, definitely use someone like this. Out of interest, we have our broadband with ib-red in pollenca. We didn't need any Spanish documentation (just used our barclays non resident account). It's sickeningly expensive but the alternatives are at best woeful!
Old 30-10-2011, 20:37

Default Application for A Residencia

I heard from a friend this week, who went to get a Residencia.

Some of this may be useful as things have changed!

i) The fee for renewal is now €10.20

ii) The forms 790, which some people may have, are now out of date.

iii) The entrance is now at the car-park end of the building - so you go to the back, to queue forward, as it were. (This may be temporary - it look as if they are renovating the old entrance at the back).

iv) When you get to the door, the security men ask your nationality - if you come from Europe you join a short queue on the right while the bulk of your fellow-queuers (non-Europeans) get into a long tail on the left. This could mean that it is no longer worth getting there so early to queue outside . Getting there at nine might be an option for the risky-minded!

(iv) As I am sure you know, the final product is now a green card - not a the A4 sheet. It is floppily laminated (you are not allowed to relaminate it stiffly) and it carries no photo.

(v) Parking is no easier -even if you get there at 8.15.

I hope this is useful.

San Miguel
Old 16-12-2011, 14:55
Super Moderator

I have just read in the Euroweekly News that Almeria National Police have started issuing driving license size Residencia Certificates, lets hope this will be the case in Mallorca. Here is the link to the article :- New certificates for EU residents in Spain