Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 18:07

Default Best airline for dog transport to PP

Hi everyone

Could anyone recommend which company would be best to fly my dog out to Puerto Pollensa please? We have just attempted to do the Eurotunnel/overland through France and Spain/ferry route, but have unfortunately had to return to the UK, as our car broke down at 5.20 am in deepest, darkest France We are now waiting for the car to be fixed and my hubby is going to fly out to France and continue the journey to PP. However, the dog and I have been mightily put off and will be flying out! Recommendations and/or advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2015, 07:36

Default Best airline for dog transport to pp

Hi Sandy, it's a pity you couldn't have travelled on from France to Palma as most of the European airlines will let the dog (up to 7 kilos) travel with you in the cabin. My wife took our dog on Veulling last year and it was about 30 euros for the dog to sit with her on the plane. It's not possible to take a dog into the cabin on any airline flying from the UK, so it would need to travel in the hold, which I wouldn't like to do.Personally, I would go with the car through the tunnel and get dropped off in France and fly from there, providing your dog isn't over the 7 kilos. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:44

Sorry Sandy, just re read your thread, the cars still in France, I will need to re think my plan
Old 07-02-2015, 10:33

According to this website there aren't many airlines flying from the UK with pets Flying With Dogs and Cats – Rules By Airline - eDreams Travel Blog

Maybe Lufthansa to Barcelona (via Frankfurt)?
And meet up with hubby to get the ferry across?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:58
Super Moderator

This subject came up a few years ago and i remember at the time a member had been quoted 1000€ + by Jet2 to fly their dog from the UK to Mallorca .
Old 07-02-2015, 14:23

Have you tried Woofthansa
CathB, El Gordo, Sparky and 3 others like this.
Old 07-02-2015, 16:21

Hi gpm, thanks for the suggestion but my hound is a very large German Shepherd, weighing in at 38 kilos!!! Although I'm sure he would sit very nicely on the plane seat, I'm not sure the airline would see it the same way! Thank you all for your suggestions. There is a lady who runs a rescue centre for large dogs, Dogs for U, in Inca who flies dogs to the UK and Germany on a fairly regular basis, so I'll contact her and hopefully she will have some suggestions. GrandeMimosa, I wish my sense of humour was still intact, but after 5 days of hanging around in garages and grotty hotels in France - waiting for the car to be fixed and then to be told it wasn't possible for 2 weeks - it's worn a little thin!
Old 07-02-2015, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySunshine View Post
......................... GrandeMimosa, I wish my sense of humour was still intact, but after 5 days of hanging around in garages and grotty hotels in France - waiting for the car to be fixed and then to be told it wasn't possible for 2 weeks - it's worn a little thin!
I think all our members feel for your situation and that you get sorted soon.

Keep your pecker up

Best of luck
SandySunshine likes this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 08-02-2015, 10:02

Hi Sandysunshine , there is a guy called Zee from Alcudia who goes from Mallorca to the Uk every month, and Im sure he has transported dogs as well , give him a call on UK Direct ( 0044 ) 7788 853 030 or Mallorca o (0034 ) 634 770 498 , maybe better to call on Spanish number as for sure he is still in Mallorca at the moment.

We have used him a few times for things and never had a problem.
Sparky, lollipop, fil6699 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Euromart Express; 08-02-2015 at 10:18.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:06

Hi me again, he is in T.O.T.N and yes it says dog transportation service !

Thanks John
Sparky, lollipop and SandySunshine like this.
Old 08-02-2015, 21:12

So let me get this right, you give your dog to Zee, who takes it on the ferry in a cage, and then across Europe in his van. Not my wee girl he wouldn't !!
debz1, Tonsyl and ragdollabbi like this.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:37

gpm, only trying to help , if they cannot get a flight due to the cost how else do dogs get here? If you take the dog on the Ferry, no matter how big it is, trust me - It goes in a Cage. I know after 18 years using this ferry service, ive seen and heard plenty of dogs in the cages. As i said, just trying to think of an alternative to the question. If you take your dog on an aeroplane, it goes in a cage. If it goes on a ferry, it goes in a cage. If it goes via these pet transportation services, It goes in a cage......! They can hardly transport the dog in the front passenger seat with its seatbelt on, hoping that when they stop at a service station, the dog doesnt make a break for freedom.

I used a pet transportation service similar to this one, to ferry 2 cats back to the UK from Menorca, in a cage, and never occured any issues along the way.

John.
CathB, El Gordo, Sparky and 3 others like this.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dublin View Post
According to this website there aren't many airlines flying from the UK with pets Flying With Dogs and Cats – Rules By Airline - eDreams Travel Blog

Maybe Lufthansa to Barcelona (via Frankfurt)?
And meet up with hubby to get the ferry across?

If I'm reading the information on the above link correctly, looks like Monarch can take animals in the hold on flights from UK. There is another link there to enable you to get a quote for the journey. Best of luck
Old 09-02-2015, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromart Express View Post
gpm, only trying to help , if they cannot get a flight due to the cost how else do dogs get here? If you take the dog on the Ferry, no matter how big it is, trust me - It goes in a Cage. I know after 18 years using this ferry service, ive seen and heard plenty of dogs in the cages. As i said, just trying to think of an alternative to the question. If you take your dog on an aeroplane, it goes in a cage. If it goes on a ferry, it goes in a cage. If it goes via these pet transportation services, It goes in a cage......! They can hardly transport the dog in the front passenger seat with its seatbelt on, hoping that when they stop at a service station, the dog doesnt make a break for freedom.

I used a pet transportation service similar to this one, to ferry 2 cats back to the UK from Menorca, in a cage, and never occured any issues along the way.

John.

Sorry, wasn't getting at you, it's just I think the whole thing of travelling with animals should be brought into the 21st century. When we travelled back on the boat from Palma to Barcelona last July, there was not one dog in a cage as they were swimming in disinfectant, everybody just sat on deck with their dog. The downside was we had to take turns each to go down for something to eat. I think my plan this year is to get a cabin and as my dogs small, stick her up my jumper and smuggle her down to the cabin.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:47

We have taken a dog by boat half a dozen times, and mostly she's been allowed to stay in the back of the car. As she's a German Shepherd, she's almost too big to go into the plastic cages Balearis supply but will go into the large kennels on Transmediterranea, which are purpose built and on the top deck. Normally, if you approach the deck staff, they will let the dog stay in the back ( we have a large estate) and on Balearic, they even got the car moved so it was under a canopy and out of the sun!

Last edited by Tonsyl; 09-02-2015 at 10:49.