Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 16:17

Default Wintering in PP

Have been thinking for some time about staying in PP for the duratation of the winter, we don't want to move on a permanent basis, but feel our health would benefit a warmer climate through November - February, we are 55 and 56 and active but are really starting to suffer due to arthritis and back problems during the wet cold winter here. Would really appreciate any thoughts/feelings on whether this is financially feasible and whether there are available appartments to do this.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 19:53

I personally think winter time in PP is a lovely time. Most of the tourists have gone home and things are quiet.It's a great time to join in with the locals and enjoy the many festivals over the course of the winter months.

However - it can be chilly and it can be very damp. The day time can be nice and often the sun will shine brightly until about 4pm and then you will feel the damp begin to creep in. I do suggest that you take a look at Sparky's weather reports over the past winter to give you an understanding of what to expect.

I also believe that snow has been seen in the Port too.

Last edited by eleanor; 10-09-2011 at 20:06.
Old 10-09-2011, 20:03

Sorry I didn't respond to the availability of apartments. Yes you will find that there are some available to rent throughout the winter. Have a look at apartments and villas to rent on this site for ideas. I would suggest that you rent apartments which provide central heating and are close to the centre.

On the financial side I think the prices are roughly the same as here give or take a few euros. It would be best to shop in one of the main supermarkets such as Eroski. There own brand products are very good and a little cheaper. You will find that many little shops and those along the front will be mostly closed. If you plan to hire a car they are obviously cheaper during the winter months but will add up over a few months of rent. I'm not sure if you can do a deal for long term hire with a rental company. Public transport is very good so if you are based near the town you may not need a car.

I think the major consideration due to your health would be the chilly evenings and the damp which can really get to you. I'm sure Sparky or Lollipop or one of our other residents will be able to add greatly to what i've said but this will give you thoughts until then. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by eleanor; 10-09-2011 at 20:07.
Old 10-09-2011, 21:28

Thanks Elenor for your reply, and for the information, I understand that the days wouldn't be as long as during the holiday season, and that it can be cold and maybe damp in the evenings, but I must admit the fact that there may be the promise of SOME sun and the location would maybe make up for it! I look forward to seeing what others may think and will certainly look into the prices of appartments, food and transport but I think it's just as important to get the knowledge of people who actually live in PP, so thanks once again.
Old 10-09-2011, 21:40

No problem. We have actually owned property in the Port for nearly 20 years and spend as much time as possible there. We have the experience of visiting during every month of the year so I was able to reply using that knowledge. It would be interesting to see if those who live 12 months of the year get used to the winter dampness. The advantage is of course is that the winter is very short with both the autumn and spring months being glorious.

Last edited by eleanor; 10-09-2011 at 21:44.
Old 11-09-2011, 00:16

over the past 3 or 4 years we have been over xmas and new year, ok the temps are not 25 and 30 degs but we have had last 2 boxing days in the sun at stay at about 18 degs, i would say temps average around 12 to 16 degs in winter and yes it is chilly and damp at times but last 2 winters in glasgow have averaged -10, as they say you decide
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53

The other half and I have done Christmas oncein PP, and the weather was lovely. We reckon it is always about 10 degrees Centegrade warmer than where we are in the south of the UK. Our only regret was not staying for New Year, but we had to be back for the family. We will definatly do New Year one day though!

We have also been over for Sa nAntoni in January,a festival that is not to be missed!

We would recommend PP whatever time of year, because you will always have a great time.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58

Eleanors detailed replies about cover everything. I have lived here permanently for 4 years now. Only thing I would add it to be careful about your choise of acccommodation. Alot of places here were only built for summer use with thin single glazing, doors and windows that don´t fit properly, and absolutely not insulation. Get one of these and it will cost a fortune to heat.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10
Super Moderator

Deanscroft has pretty much took the words out of my mouth, we are in the Port on the 1st floor and have no problem with damp. Heating comes from electric radiators in the bedroom,bathroom, kitchen and a gas fire in the lounge, our heating bill last winter was considerably less than we paid in the UK 4 years ago.
We were still wearing sandals/flip flops some days in December and my winter boots stayed in the wardrobe.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36

I can only agree with all that has been said. Yes we get grey days but they are usually broken up by a sunny one and temps usually higher than UK by a good few degrees.
Old 11-09-2011, 14:45

I suffer more here with my arthritis in winter than I did in the UK due to the very damp climate

British Meals and Snacks
Old 11-09-2011, 17:53

On the health side, I have noticed my eczema comes on really bad in the winter here, but not in the summer, whereas in the UK I rarely got it, only in sustained hot periods in the summer (a while ago I might add). There is obviously a link with the moisture in the air.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:13

TV! Some people will probably think it's standard, but it's not, so check any apts as this would be useful, Is it just Spanish channels or do they have the digi-box which gets you BBC-1 etc? For instance i've had a apt for nearly 20 years and just got a TV installed a couple of weeks ago, IMO you rarely need it in the Summer months, but it would handy over the Winter.
Old 12-09-2011, 21:50

Default wintering in PP

we have stayed for a month at a time during the winter months usually November and January, and have found that November is such a lovely month. January can be cold and damp once the sun goes down but during the day the climate always [seems] to be much better than in the UK. If you are on medication for these conditions you should be able to get them from the pharmacies over here, medication usually on prescription can be purchased over the counter. Central heating is a must as it can be more than chilly. Its not like the Summer season in that once it gets dark you might need a cardi, it can be cold and very wet. You would need to be aware of this before comminting yourself to a long term rental as you will have to pay up front....maybe try a month at a time and see how you go.
Old 12-09-2011, 23:31
Super Moderator

If you have to take regular medication, as long as you have an EHIC you can go to the health centre and see a doctor to get a prescription as not all meds are available over the counter.