Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mimsy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 09:32

Default Flying our dog over to Palma

Has anyone any tips on flying a dog out to Palma? We have a nine year old cross breed terrier, who is in good health but she has never flown before. If possible we want to fly from Leeds/Bradford (not sure if any airlines will transport a dog - need to research). I am just concerned that she will be in a cage for a while before the flight and after as i am uncertain of procedures for check in and collection at the other end.
We toyed with the idea of driving down through France and Spain, but actually think we would be better to buy a car once in Mallorca.
Any advice gratefully received!
M
Sponsored Links
Old 19-01-2012, 10:26

Hi Millie

There has been a thread previously that may help

Taking Dog

Good luck

My FlickR Photos
Old 19-01-2012, 10:29
Super Moderator

Hi Millie, there is a bit of info on this thread :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...rting-car.html. If you are buying a second hand car you need to check that there are no outstanding fines on it, as you will become liable to pay them. Hope it helps .

Last edited by Sparky; 19-01-2012 at 10:35.
Old 19-01-2012, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie50 View Post
Has anyone any tips on flying a dog out to Palma? We have a nine year old cross breed terrier, who is in good health but she has never flown before. If possible we want to fly from Leeds/Bradford (not sure if any airlines will transport a dog - need to research). I am just concerned that she will be in a cage for a while before the flight and after as i am uncertain of procedures for check in and collection at the other end.
We toyed with the idea of driving down through France and Spain, but actually think we would be better to buy a car once in Mallorca.
Any advice gratefully received!
M
HI I looked into this you have to fly from Manchester and its around £800 Jet2 do offer the service but only from Manchester. You will also need Dog passport from Vet it takes around 6 months.
Old 19-01-2012, 12:13
Banned

I have no experience of taking a dog abroad.

However, cars are ridiculously expensive to buy in Mallorca from what I've seen and read.

Also, £800 to fly your dog plus your flights and all the other add-ons. If it were me, I'd buy a used left hand drive car in the UK which should be reasonably priced because who really wants one here? Then drive over.

Your dog will be less stressed, you'll have a good cheap car that you can get AA checked etc. and serviced over here and in the long run it will be far cheaper. Once in Mallorca there are British run companies who can do the paperwork to sort out your car to Spanish plates.
Also, like Sparky says, you have no idea about the history of a car you buy in Mallorca.

Gotta be a "no-brainer" to me !!

Good luck anyway and let us know how you get on.

P.S. - it's all about the planning !
Old 19-01-2012, 15:26

Actually there are some great deals to be had when buying a car locally. I did allot of research and found it was way cheaper and less hassle to buy a car Locally which we did 2 years ago it was the best move we ever made it has paid for itself more than once over against car hire fees. Its not just changing the registration that costs when you import a car its tax and other issues than can mount up. getting back to the topic taking your Dog if its to stay or for a long period of time then the flight is the best way. against travel time fuel cost Ferry costs etc etc then its not such a bad deal. I even thought about traveling by train which would be a great adventure with the dog. The problem is the EuroStar you can only take a Dog if you are in a car. All other trains are fine. Dumb rule but it puts an end to the idea of going by train. good luck let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

Last edited by fil6699; 19-01-2012 at 15:31.
Old 19-01-2012, 15:41
Banned

That's told me then !!

Now I know who to ask when/if I buy a car in Mallorca. As you say, at least it will be already on Spanish plates.

Also shows the priceless value of this forum with others knowledge.
Old 19-01-2012, 16:48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
Actually there are some great deals to be had when buying a car locally. I did allot of research and found it was way cheaper and less hassle to buy a car Locally which we did 2 years ago it was the best move we ever made it has paid for itself more than once over against car hire fees. Its not just changing the registration that costs when you import a car its tax and other issues than can mount up. getting back to the topic taking your Dog if its to stay or for a long period of time then the flight is the best way. against travel time fuel cost Ferry costs etc etc then its not such a bad deal. I even thought about traveling by train which would be a great adventure with the dog. The problem is the EuroStar you can only take a Dog if you are in a car. All other trains are fine. Dumb rule but it puts an end to the idea of going by train. good luck let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.
Phil, to be fair to Nick, Millie was asking for advice on cars as well as dogs and if you buy a second hand car here you do need to check with the police if there are any outstanding fines. It isn't difficult to do but could be very costly to you if you don't.
Old 19-01-2012, 18:14

Many thanks for all the views posted and advice. Still can't make our mind up about dog or car! If anyone has any more details about doggy flights and how it works in practice that would be great. I have found a website that looks helpful as well.
M
Old 20-01-2012, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie50 View Post
Many thanks for all the views posted and advice. Still can't make our mind up about dog or car! If anyone has any more details about doggy flights and how it works in practice that would be great. I have found a website that looks helpful as well.
M
Jet 2 have a special number that you call they will give you all the information you need they are very helpful sorry I don't have the number any more but it is on the jet2 web site under pets hope this helps
Old 21-01-2012, 10:25

Thanks i will try that
Old 23-01-2012, 15:25

Hi

We brought our dog and car over.

The ferry/car route is a long journey but you are in charge of your pet pretty much all the time. We came via the Portsmouth/Bilbao route and you can visit your pet at anytime during the trip (they even have pet friendly cabins - but very limited numbers).

Unfortunately I've no experience of flying with a pet but a good place to start is the defra website Defra - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - this gives you all the up-to-date / legal requirements for travellling with your pet. Plus information on authorised routes and carries.

Whatever you do don't delay starting the Pet Passport as you need at least a month between the blood tests before you can travel out of the UK.

Our dog is quite old and did howl whilst in the kennel (she was a rescue dog so maybe it brought back bad memories). We also had to endure the 24 hours that she refused to take a pee until eventually, and several runs in the exercise area, nature finally won! But as soon as she was out of the kennel she was fine and travelled very well. We loved the fact that she was with us for the journey.

Flying (although very expensive) is certainly the faster option. I think you just need to ask the questions like you are and feel confident that the airline staff will look after your pet whilst it's in their care. Once you find an airline that takes pets across it might be worth googling them to see if anyone has shared there experiences. Or even talk to them direct to see what's involved.

We go back in June so are just having the headache of sorting the ferries - that's the other downside of driving as you have 2 ferries the timings don't always work out so you can end up with a lot of time to kill.

Anyway hope that's helped. Our dog has loved being here and I'm sure yours will too. Good luck.

Mims
pollensa likes this.
Old 24-01-2012, 21:04

Thanks Mims for your experiences. My dog is also an ex rescue dog and I know she will hate being caged, so the quickest mode of transport may be the best. However we are still doing our homework so not sure yet.
M