Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 13:57

Default Wells in Pollensa

We have seen a property on the outskirts of pollensa that we are very interested in and as its in the country side it has a well for the water supply, does anyone know if wells can dry up during the summer months? any info please
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 14:17

Not sure about "deep" into the countryside, or villas - although when we have rented in the summer some years we have never had problems.
Our apartments in Llenaire are fed from a well, and we have not had any problems so far!
Now I have said that, if it changes this year - I will know who to blame mrs lizard!
Old 08-05-2011, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs lizard View Post
We have seen a property on the outskirts of pollensa that we are very interested in and as its in the country side it has a well for the water supply, does anyone know if wells can dry up during the summer months? any info please
Hi our Finka is closer to the Port and we have our own well and in the 5 years we have owned the property it has never run dry (touching wood)
The water table that feeds the wells in PP is huge and many propertys are not on mains water. You can and probably have a back up storage place for water which you can have water delivered to very easilly
I will be out again from around 28th May to 6th June if you want to come to our place and see how the sytem works I can show you and talk you through everything. contact me if you need any help or advise.
Phill
Old 08-05-2011, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Not sure about "deep" into the countryside, or villas - although when we have rented in the summer some years we have never had problems.
Our apartments in Llenaire are fed from a well, and we have not had any problems so far!
Now I have said that, if it changes this year - I will know who to blame mrs lizard!
LOL Bella I was thinking the same thing
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06

We have been in the countryside for ten years and have only a well (shared with a neighbour) and even in the driest summers we have not run out. We do have a back-up water cistern as well but have not needed to fill it. We were out in April and checked the water level on the well and it was very full - much more so than some previous years, so I think you should be OK. There has been a fair bit of rain in early Spring to replenish supplies.

Just one word of warning: after rain storms the water can turn light brown because of mud washing into it - you can still use it for bathing but it does look a bit offputting! We also don't drink our well water - we are told that it is safe, but to be honest it doesn't taste very nice, so we use bottled water for hot and cold drinks. It's fine to cook with the well water though.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40

You're right kate. We only really use it direct for washing, washing up, or the washing machine, everything else is done with bottled water, including boiling for tea, as well water is hard water and furs up the kettle virtually daily!
Water heaters and washing machines need regular descaling too - as do the loo cisterns! All good fun!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:09

This is interesting, I have wondered how the villas we stay in get there water, I didn't realise so many still relied on well water. Only slightly off topic, the house we stayed in at Easter in the middle of the town still has a cistern to supply everything, although there is mains water there, apparently most town houses still use the tanks, the mains water comes in and fills up the tanks via a ballcock, then a pump pressurises the systems and supplies the taps.

On island time!!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:19
Super Moderator

In the peak summer season the mains water here tends to get rather salty and i know of a couple of smaller restaurants here in the Port who bring in containers of well water to use for cooking when this happens. I have actually tasted it and quite enjoyed it.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37

it certainly wont do you any harm and is all a matter of taste as to whether you prefer it to the bottled water. Apartments often have back up systems and use technology to bring up the water from the "well". Obviously more of a "spring" than a well!
I wonder if there are any villas where you actually go to a well to "draw" up the water nowadays? Obviously farmers in deep countryside, but an interesting feature for a rented villa. Ah, just remembered the Mad Dogs well. Perhaps not then!!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:24

The villa we stayed in last time just outside Pollensa had a well, it had a bucket on a pulley system, although the well had a locked cover over it, it could have been for show or maybe and old one that actually worked at some time

On island time!!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:59

It gets complicated... we have one of those stone-faced 'feature wells' too - complete with bucket and pulley system - it is full of water and it does actually work, although in fact it is not strictly speaking a well as it contains rainwater which drains into it from the roof, rather than being connected to an underground spring. Our 'real' well is a much less attractive affair encased in concrete and hidden in a corner - that's the one that supplies the taps, and the feature well we use for watering the garden.

You are so right, Belladonna, about the hard water - it is truly terrible, in fact we went through so many kettles/shower hoses etc that a couple of years ago we installed a water softener. I think it has more than paid for itself as limescale is no longer an issue.

I don't want to put you off, MrsLizard - any problems we have ever had with our well have been minor and it is all part of the charm of living in the countryside!
Old 10-05-2011, 13:46

Because many homes use well water the good news is the systems used to pump the water etc are very easy to operate and maintain. over the years I have had to replace the pump twice which was so easy I did it myself and purchased a new pump from Plomers just up the road . As I said earlier if you are unsure please don't hesitate to contact me over the years I have become quite an expert when it comes to the water and the well. And also on the other end of the household water cycle which to can have its little problems when you are not connected to the mains. (Had my wellies on a couple of times)
Old 11-05-2011, 16:19

Thanks for all the replies its reassuring to know that the well is unlikley to run dry (famous last words, please dont blame me) my OH is a plumber/ pipefitter so he,s familiar with pumps etc so thats not a problem, just lots of decisions to be made its sooo exciting