Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 11:53

Default anti damp paint

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone can recommend where I can buy some anti damp piant, or a mould killer. I have mould on my ceiling in the bathroom, Ive washed it, but cant cover with paint it is reacting, so I have googled it and I need mould killer, or anti damp paint. Thats just fine if I was in England but Im not any ideas any one thanks in advance Tacky
Sponsored Links
Old 26-04-2011, 12:00
Super Moderator

There are some good ideas here Tacky :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/.../7107-diy.html
Old 26-04-2011, 12:03

I had a little mould on one of my walls in the villa and I covered it with strong bleach and allowed to dry before painting over. Thankfully this seems to have worked. It was quite a small patch though but may be worth a try if you are unable to find any other answers. Good luck!
Old 26-04-2011, 12:13

Hello Tacky - if you go to Trebol paint shop (behind Hiper supermarket and opposite Comfort electrical store) they do anti damp/mould/stain block paint that should do the trick.

You will need to make sure that the reason for the mould is eradicated first though - do you have a leak somewhere or is it just from damp conditions?
Old 26-04-2011, 13:15

Thanks for that its a great help Tacky
Old 26-04-2011, 13:17

Mr Tacky has just tried trebol paint shop n forgot about siesta, he'll try again later. thanks ever so Tacky
Love this forum....so helpful
Old 26-04-2011, 13:18

Thanks for your prompt reply.....love this forum !
Old 27-04-2011, 22:18

Had a similar problem with mould on one wall of my apartment over the last few years. I'd scrape back to bare plaster, coat with bleach, dry and re-paint, but it always came back in the same spots.

Visited the small hardware store behind the petrol station, where Becky, who runs the shop put me onto a mould and fungus killing liquid. Sprayed it on, let it dry and re-painted the walls and haven't had a problem since.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the product, but I'm sure if you pop in and explain your problem she'll be able to help.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:41

Tackymess - when/if you are successful with your anti-mould / anti-damp paint please remember one important thing. First comes the damp then the associated mould which can be difficult to get rid of. The reason for damp/mould in the first place is - more often than not - a lack of ventilation (particularly in a Bathroom). If you have an opening window open it as regularly as you can, even if only a few centimetres. If you have an automatic electric fan make sure it has a 10/15 minute over-run. Otherwise even an air brick (with flyproof mesh on one side) will help to alleviate the condensation. When doing a course on 'building services' many, many years ago, the lecturer said "good heating and good ventilation leads to comfortable living" - I remember it to this day.
Both my Bathroom and my Kitchen window gets opened first thing on a morning come winter or summer even if just for a short period of time. I have never had problems with damp/mould. May be difficult if your premises are not lived in all the while (especially for long periods of time), but the air brick/s would certainly help if this is the case. Good luck with the anti-damp/anti-mould paint, there are some good ones around.

p.s. Obviously if the source of damp is from a pipe (or roof) leak this would also cause a problem. Make sure there isn't one. Even a very, very small (but regular) drip from above can cause ceiling damage.

Last edited by pescador2009; 28-04-2011 at 09:50. Reason: p.s. added
Old 28-04-2011, 16:32

Pescador is absolutely right about the need for ventilation, even during the winter. We used to have a problem with damp areas accumulating in our villa over the winter, while we weren't there to keep it aired - not sure from your post, TackyMess, whether you are a full-time resident or not. Like many Mallorcan properties our villa doesn't have a damp course and quite sizeable areas of mould used to appear, particularly in cupboards. For the first couple of years we decided to try and keep the villa heated in the hope that we could prevent this but it made no difference. However, on the advice of our Mallorcan agent we now leave it throughout the winter months with the windows open but the shutters closed so air can circulate freely throughout every room. This has made a huge difference. As no one is staying there the fact that the rooms are cold doesn't matter and it warms up very quickly come Spring.
Old 28-04-2011, 21:25

This is the first season that we have not had to repaint our bedroom wall which gets the blast of wind off the mountains and caused damp on just this one wall since the place was built.
We had to take the plaster back to the brick work in the end - the plaster just didnt seem to dry out - replastered then painted with the anti fungal paint. We did have to redo the electrics which were on that particular wall as well. Its worked a treat and no sign of any green patches or flaky paint!!