Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-02-2011, 12:30
Under Moderation

Default A Summer in Mallorca - Business Proposition

Hi, I’m Vaughn, an English author/artist. I’ve been a regular visitor to Port de Pollenca and the old town for over 17 years.

My wife, Cristina, and I use the forum to keep up with what’s going on in the Port but have never actually posted anything and, while I realise that the moderator will check my first couple of posts, I would like to run an idea past you to see if you think it’s acceptable.

I’m exhibiting some of my oil paintings at the Hostal Bahia on the Pine Walk over the 2011 season. Over the 2010/11 winter I also wrote a novel, ‘A Summer in Mallorca,’ which is based in and around Port de Pollenca.

I’ve had a couple of books published in England and would like to do the same with this book in Mallorca. To that end I’ve hand-bound some hard-back copies with which to test the water (I took a short course in bookbinding over the winter).

‘A Summer in Mallorca’ is a love story that follows four young people from their mid-teens to their mid-twenties as they holiday at Port de Pollenca. It begins with an adventure that changes their lives, and ends in a mystery that will change the reader’s.

The story is set in the here and now but takes the reader back to 1838 Valldemosa, to correct the unjust slur made against the Mallorcan people by the French author Georges Sand; and then forwards, to the future, to explain a misconception which has confounded the people of this planet for millennia.
The story is set entirely on the island and is suitable for readers of any age, providing they have an open mind and are young at heart.

That’s the background. Sorry it’s a bit long-winded, but now I’m getting to what I really want to ask.

For several years now I’ve written and sold books in a similar market back home (the coast of North Norfolk where the main income is tourism) and so I know all too well the difficulties such an enterprise would entail, especially as I don’t speak Catalan or Spanish and live in England!

What I need, is a partner, a resident on the island, to help in the endeavour. I’ll stress here and now, before you get spooked, I’m not looking for financial help. What I’m looking for is a person with local knowledge, who’ll represent me, liaising with outlets and distributors etc … But let’s not get bogged down with too many details at this point, what’s most important just now is that I get some of my hand-bound copies out to interested parties so that they might see its potential.

Would it be alright to post on the forum looking for someone who might be interested in reading my book with my business proposition in mind? Maybe you know of such a person already?

I’m coming out to Mallorca at the end of March to hang my paintings in the Hostal Bahia. It would be good to have established some contacts before then.

The book has just been reviewed on the Mallorca Notebook site.

Best regards,

Vaughn Balding

(Vaughn is a Welsh name meaning ‘little man.’ Balding speaks for itself. The two together provide a harsh but, unfortunately for me, accurate description of my physical attributes.)

Last edited by vaughn; 19-03-2011 at 13:45. Reason: Info of the book's review on the mallorca Notebook site
Sponsored Links