Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 21:49

Default Relocation advice required

Just wondering if anyone can offer any kind of advice with regards to moving to PP. We have spent our last 5 holidays there, and after the last one in August we discussed a possible move.

I run a commercial flooring business in England so would be looking for opportunities/work in that sort of area. My wife is an Accounts Administrator and may want to work we have 2 children, twin boys aged 7 so we would need to find a school for them. Basically, what are the general property rental rates like? are the prospects for job/buisness opportunities good? is it straight forward to intergrate the children in to the mallorcan education system? etc etc etc There are many other questions that need answering, but I don't think it would be fair to burden you with them all

Apologies for the bombardment of questions and info but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Obviously we have many things to sort out in England first, asking my co-director to buy me out being just one!!

look forward to any comments.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47
Under Moderation

Brilliant idea. So many have already decided to live their dream so I'm sure they can help you with their answers.
As for renting I'm not sure about that asi think most rentals are holiday let's which command high prices. Can you buy? Probably some good deals around at the moment.
Good luck. You are doing what so many would love to do.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09

As far as school is concerned, this wouldn't be difficult, especially for children of that age who would integrate quickly and as importantly pick up the language. Local schools are used to kids from other countries and generally handle their integration well.

Much more important is your business. Apart from obvious issues such as language and recession, my advice would be to come and spend a while doing your own research and trying to establish contacts before you commit to any sort of move. I would have thought that Brit businesses in the real estate/building trades, of which there are some in PP and around, might be a starting-point for this research.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:18

Two things to consider.

You ought to visit in the winter before you commit yourself to a move as PP is a very very different place from the summer. Most bars and restaurants are closed, especially this year, giving the feel of a ghost town.

The building industry in Spain is the hardest hit, and finding work would be more difficult than in the UK.

.......... but the weather is better and the sun shines brightly!

Good luck
Old 02-12-2010, 13:20
Founder

First of all, do read the other threads in this forum Living & Working in the Pollensa Area - Pollensa Forum as you'll get a feel for the issues. There have already been several discussions on schools and language. Most ex-pats learn Spanish (Castillian) & get by but as I understand it the schools teach in Mallorcan (Catalan) & apparently parents' evenings & homework can cause ex-pat parents a bit of a headache!

For long term rentals, try the local agents listed here Rent Villas, Apartments from Agents in Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca Majorca

An do let us know how you get on!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38

Hi All,
Thanks for all the advice given. We are coming over again in August. I know this is the holiday season and things will always appear better in the sunshine, but having visited so many times now it is a place where we feel at home. Never have we been anywhere and wanted to go back. We thought about Australia but it is too far from our families in England.
With regards to research, the people we a renting off in August have offered to meet us as the Husband has his own carpentry business and is also doing wood flooring. On our last visit I met a developer who we will seek to meet again when we come back. Coming over out of season is a good piece of advice and something that I will do on my own, due to schooling etc in England. Thanks again for the advice and if anyone has anything else they can add it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 21:06

Osceli,

It may be worth trying a separate post asking if anyone who has moved to PP and then returned to the U.K. was willing to speak to you privately, they could tell you what they thought was good/not so good and why they decided to return to the U.K., it may be useful.

If you do decide to move I hope it's a great success.

PP76
Old 04-01-2011, 21:14
Under Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP76 View Post
Osceli,

It may be worth trying a separate post asking if anyone who has moved to PP and then returned to the U.K. was willing to speak to you privately, they could tell you what they thought was good/not so good and why they decided to return to the U.K., it may be useful.

If you do decide to move I hope it's a great success.

PP76
why should this be done privately? I'm sure many would find the info of interest and help. I think it is accepted that not everything suits everyone and that what is negative to one is positive to another. Knowledge is power so please do not keep it private but share as it may help others too.
Old 04-01-2011, 23:41

Kim,

"why should this be done privately?" - Not to keep any information from others, but if I was Osceli, I would prefer to have a much longer discussion than "I" think would be practical on the forum, simply my opinion, I could be wrong.

PP76
Old 05-01-2011, 00:48
Super Moderator

PP76, i can see where you are coming from. It is so much easier to talk face to face, as i have done with a few forum members.
Old 05-01-2011, 13:58

Hi osceli,

Just in case you may have missed it here is a reply We gave months ago to someone else enquiring about schools and moving to PP.

I'm pleased to say nothing has changed and all the details below remain unchanged apart from the fact my daughter has now moved up into the local Institute of Secondary Education which normally is for teenagers aged between 12-17ish !

The school she refers to in the post would be the correct age bracket for your children.

Best wishes with the move and with good planing, you will not regret it. If I can be of any further help then please do not hesitate to ask as I personally know just how big this is a move to make and all information is so helpful.

PWS.

Hi, I tend to lurk these days on the forum but I felt I must reply to your questions as we made the move a couple of years ago and before we did, I asked lots of questions on here and people gave us some really good advice before we left which I have always been grateful of.

The best thing is to let my daughter give you a brief run-down of her experiences to-date at her local school.

Hi, I started my Primary school (Miquel Capllonch, there is another primary further into town) in the January of 2007 (about half way through the school year). At first I didn't really know what to expect but the teachers and staff at the school were very welcoming and were pretty used to seeing different nationalities of kids start at the the school. When I started, I didn't have any of the text books or exercise books that I needed but the teacher was kind enough to lend me some second hand ones to use until the end of the year. All the lessons (maths, science,ect.) are taught in a dialect of Mallorcan Catalan which I found fairly easy to pick up. They will make sure you learn Catalan first as like I said, it is the main language and then eventually you will pick up the Spanish (which is talked more in the playground).
One thing I like more about school over here is that you don't have to wear any uniform, just something sensible like jeans, t-shirts,ect. (depending on the weather of course!) And probably, twice a week there will be a gym lesson where you come dressed in track suit bottoms and trainers. Also, instead of bringing a packed lunch, you only have to take a mid morning snack, as school starts at 8:30am and finishes at 1:30. Hope that was helpful

Before our move I paid a visit to the town for a week in order to pre-register at the schools. For peace of mind I brought over from the UK every legal document relating to the family which they will take copies of. It's also a good idea to start up your bank accounts with the local banks before the move so everything is in place when you finally arrive. You also have to pay for all the school books, pens ect for the year and that works out at approximately 200 Euros per year.

Good luck with the move. We have never looked back and there is not a day when I regret coming here to live. The children are happy and secure when they go out with their local friends from school and if they are happy, then that means Mom and Dad are happy!........Best Wishes, PWS.

Last edited by pinewalkstroll; 05-01-2011 at 14:11. Reason: up-date.
Old 05-01-2011, 23:50

Really enjoyed reading that sounds like you are all very happy in your new life,if you both work was it easy to find jobs or start up a new business.