Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 11:43

Default No going back

Hi all just out of interested those of you that were brave enough to make the move to live in lovely puerto pollensa have you sold up everything in the U K or have you left a bolt hole in case you want or need to go back,and how long did it take to settle in and stop feeling like you were on holiday.Also want is the best thing and the worse about living there
Sorry its a bit long but love to hear all your views
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53

Check out this link bevgt

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...03-honest.html
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59

Sparky, we know you have nothing but praise for PP, but is there anything at all you miss from back "home"? It would be interesting to know now you have been there a few seasons. What about the health care and other regulated areas - are they easy to cope with on your own,or do you need to find help if something serious happens?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28

Thanks Debz1 must have missed that one ,enjoyed reading it.
Old 01-11-2010, 13:38
Super Moderator

Bella, i don't always have the rose tinted specs on and do see the faults here, it's just that i found the faults in the UK to be more and bigger.
As far as i am concerned now this is home and can honestly say there is nothing i miss about the UK. Healthcare is good (from what i have experienced) and yes of course i need help with official stuff, if i can't do it then i know a man who can (if you get my drift) but the same applied to me in the UK.
Old 01-11-2010, 14:32

So what about those that still have to work what are you doing and is it still living the dream even though you have to work
Old 01-11-2010, 17:06
Super Moderator

Bev can i ask you a question?, as you are obviously so interested in the experiences of those of us that have moved here....are you thinking of doing the same?.
Old 01-11-2010, 23:48

Sorry Sparky if I came over too nosey didnt mean too .Have always been interested in other peoples experiences abroad.My husband is Spanish and comes from Cuenca,when we first met we lived in Ibiza for a year, but that now seems a hundred years ago. My husband has loved living in England but in the last two years would like to return now,We love puerto pollensa but have also looked at the mainland as he likes to play bowls, but no where is as nice as Mallorca.
We have the same problem as many others ,my parents are getting old, we still work, so for the moment I love to listen to all your experiences.
Old 01-11-2010, 23:51

Bev - if you are fortunate enough to be able to keep a foot on each island I would recommend you keep it that way if you can. Over the years I have seen numerous people move to PP (and anywhere else in Spain for that matter, I am sure) and subsequently find that when it is necessary to return to the UK for whatever reason - be it health, personal or other - that because of the change in living and housing costs in the UK outstripping those of Spain they are unable to retain the manner in which they have become accustomed to in PP and elsewhere.

I'm not saying don't consider it but be aware of any pitfalls.
Old 02-11-2010, 00:29
Super Moderator

Bevgt you don't need to apologise, i just thought your curiosity meant that you were maybe considering living here.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:29

Hi Sparky we have the same discussion every week we are always considering it, but thats as far as it gets for the moment anyway.
Old 17-03-2011, 16:05
Under Moderation

Default Living in p pollenca

Hi. My husband and I, now in our late 50's are spending more time in PP with a view to living here, we would like to meet some of the residents, especially those who enjoy watersports aswell as cultural activities.
I am a teacher of English to foreigners, so if anyone knows of a possible outlet for occasional/part-time work, I would love to hear from you.
Old 18-03-2011, 10:33
Under Moderation

Perhaps more people will be thinking to move abroad having heard the news this morning that yet again our government is taking us to places we shouldn't be spending ands in others when more and more are forced into poverty with no prospects of employment. I'm thinking very seriously of moving permanently to beautiful pollensa. A much better life away from all the doom.
I noticed many for sale signs and to let put up by owners on my last visit so perhaps a good time too for those looking for accomodation. The apartment next to mine is being sold privately by the owner and has had 5 viewings in the 2 weeks I was there. The cleaner who is showing the apartment said she thinks 2 people are seriously thinking of buying it. Good news for the property market at last perhaps.

Last edited by Kym; 18-03-2011 at 10:36.
Old 22-03-2011, 09:36

We have now been living in PP for just over 3 years and do not regret leaving the UK at all. To answer some questions there is bowls on the island and may soon be some closer to home, watersports are plentiful and lots of expats have boats. My husband is into dinghy sailing and offered himself as crew to a group who race on a Saturday /Sunday when we first came. There is so much or nothing to do depending on your preference., but I know where I prefer to sit and drink a cup of coffee. We spend more quality time with our family even though its not every week. Healthcare is very good, with Drs appointments in a day or so and hospitals clean and airy. To reply to the first question ,we don't have our own bolt hole in the UK.