Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   missed shops (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/6540-missed-shops.html)

bevgt 11-09-2010 12:52

missed shops

Just wondered for those of you that live in Pollensa and the Port , what shop do you miss most from home and if you could choose any shop to open up in the town which one would it be.

Gommar Goffer 12-09-2010 11:39

bevgt - doing a spot of market research?;)

bevgt 12-09-2010 23:32

something like that talking with friends over coffee about who would go and live in Spain few of us said Puerto Pollensa would be nice, then thought about all our favourite shops we would miss,conversation then moved on to what shop would you open and how long did you reckon you would last we got really carried away.

Bean Counter 13-09-2010 10:57

About 30 years ago we had a couple of holidays in Estartit on the Costa Brava. There was an English-language bookshop there which was really run as a sort of lending library. Each book had 2 prices - the one you paid on taking it out, and the one you got when you brought it back. So, if you were staying for a couple of weeks (AND you actually got any time to read!) you didn't have to bring enough books for the duration.

I don't know how much money you would make - the guy who ran it was retired and he was only open at certain times and, I think, only on certain days - but it certainly was a useful shop for holidaymakers. Maybe combined with a similar arrangement for beach toys, chairs, parasols, etc - CDs?

Bean Counter 13-09-2010 11:00

PS: forgot to say that the books were mostly "used", with some "new" ones each year. And customers used to donate the books they had finished to save lugging them back home.

pollensa 13-09-2010 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean Counter (Post 49847)
About 30 years ago we had a couple of holidays in Estartit on the Costa Brava. There was an English-language bookshop there which was really run as a sort of lending library. Each book had 2 prices - the one you paid on taking it out, and the one you got when you brought it back. So, if you were staying for a couple of weeks (AND you actually got any time to read!) you didn't have to bring enough books for the duration.

I don't know how much money you would make - the guy who ran it was retired and he was only open at certain times and, I think, only on certain days - but it certainly was a useful shop for holidaymakers. Maybe combined with a similar arrangement for beach toys, chairs, parasols, etc - CDs?

I think that people often use the charity shops for this but I'm not sure how many books they have.

PP76 13-09-2010 15:43

Hi Bean,

When we were in PP in August I decided to read The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven which I had managed to get on the internet, this was the second reading, the first being in 1976 when we stayed at Gommar and the office at the end of the building which was run by a dutchman called Van Beek? rented out books to the tourists.
Every now and then we have a clear out of books and take them to the Graham Children's Charity shop as it seems a shame just to throw them out.

PP76

Bean Counter 13-09-2010 20:40

Wow, that takes me back, PP76. I read The Moon's a Balloon 37 years ago when I was in hospital after the birth of my daughter (in the days when you stayed in for 7 days!). I remember having to stop myself from laughing out loud during the mothers' afternoon "rest" time. Younger members of the forum won't have a clue what I'm talking about!

As to the books, yes, my old books find their way to the charity shops - and it is good to know that the money is put to good use. But I must admit to not having much luck there last year on the beach chairs front! Anyway, the "rental" shop was just a thought.