Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-2010, 22:10

Thumbs down BEWARE of bogus callers!!!!.

Just a warning to many of you who might be renting villas and appartments with gas appliances . Bit of a scam going on at the moment ( mainly centred on Cala San Vicenze ) where two guys who claim to be from REPSOL want to inspect your gas meter and installation. They have a look at ,then demand cash for some fictitious work on the spot to be carried out.

REPSOL will never send anyone out without making an appointment with you over the phone so be warned . They would never expect cash payment either cos they would bill the owner as part of their energy bill.

My mate took their photo on his mobile phone yesterday just to test their authenticity but they promptly scarpered and the police are after them.

But just be careful .

BonysLad
Sponsored Links
Old 26-06-2010, 00:41
Super Moderator

BL, they are still trying it on in PP as well. I reported earlier this year how they scammed JK's, i had them ringing my doorbell a few of weeks ago (i went into "i will kill you before you cross my threshold mode") they scarpered pretty damned quick . They tried JK's again this week and got very short shrift.
As you say the genuine ones will NOT turn up on spec, so if any of you guys have a visit, just say NO and close the door on them.
Old 26-06-2010, 11:14

Hola Bonyslad - if you search under Butano you will find many similar stories about this scam.
My agent, who lives in Alcudia, had them knocking on her door recently too.
Old 26-06-2010, 22:55

This is worrying because while Rob was there last week a gas man from Repsol turned up to inspect the boiler and vents. He was as far as we know genuine. He didn't demand any money and left all the necessary paperwork. Although I have been requesting a visit for the past two years he had not made an apointment but we can't think of any reason why he wasn't genuine.
Old 12-07-2010, 17:05

My now elderly parents have lived for 28 years in a villa in the country, about 3 km from Pollensa. Luckily today I was with them when two chaps turned up and said they were here to check the gas installation, my parents had never requested the visit so like Sparky I quickly sent them on their way.

Thanks to this thread I was aware,

PM.

Last edited by pollensaman; 12-07-2010 at 17:09. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2010, 17:29

Well done and good for you. Thankfully you were with your parents at the time.
Gosh these people have nerve don't they?

I think should anyone be approached by them a quick photo of them on the mobile phone may help do the trick! It can be given to the police and also plastered on every website.
Old 12-07-2010, 17:32

Yes, its frightening to think what could have happened if not. I can not believe that even after so much exposure they are still "having a go"! Surely if we know about it, the locals should to and the police should have done something about making it very public?
Old 11-09-2010, 13:19

Just to warn you they are still at it. They called at our Finca a couple of weeks ago luckily my wife sent them away and did not allow them in. ( we are only a 15 min walk from the port so they are still active in the port )
Old 11-09-2010, 16:13
Super Moderator

Our motto should be "No appointment no entry". Maybe we should all make a sign and put it up on the inside and outside of our front doors .
Obviously we will need a translation for the outside sign.......i will get back to you on that one .

Ok i just did a google translate and it says "No cita ninguna entrada".

Last edited by Sparky; 11-09-2010 at 16:28. Reason: Added translation.
Old 11-09-2010, 16:54

Good idea Sparky and thanks for the translation. I will certainly have a sign put up asap.
It may also be our way of letting these people know we are on to them and their scams.
Old 11-09-2010, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
Just to warn you they are still at it. They called at our Finca a couple of weeks ago luckily my wife sent them away and did not allow them in. ( we are only a 15 min walk from the port so they are still active in the port )
They also visited the bar a couple of weeks ago for the 4th time this summer I sent them packing but they went straight to our Spanish neighbours who let them in despite me telling them not to, it was only when I went in and dragged him out as he tried to cut the pipe to the boiler that they understood what the guy was trying to do. They have no fear even when I took his ID card telling him I was going to take a photocopy he just shrugged his shoulders and said ok
Old 11-09-2010, 19:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Good idea Sparky and thanks for the translation. I will certainly have a sign put up asap.
It may also be our way of letting these people know we are on to them and their scams.
That's what i thought Eleanor and having a sign inside will keep us residents alert and for owners who rent out, it will also make their clients aware. As has been posted on another thread, another scam is the guy from "Endesa", we have to stay ahead of these tricksters.
Old 12-09-2010, 13:48

Sparky putting a sign outside your door NO APPOINTMENT NO ENTRY!!! Are you the new Cynthia Pane of Pollensa!!
Old 12-09-2010, 15:37
Super Moderator

OOOER!!!! Matron , Sleepy behave yourself...you know what i do to naughty boys . Only joking peeps .

Seriously though we really do need to be on our guard and that goes for PP, the UK or anywhere in the world, i am afraid it's sad but true.
Old 19-09-2010, 12:08
Banned

Good for you Can Balache.

I have the same attitude to these "people".........if only more people took the same line.

Great pies you do by the way, was at your place just over a week ago.