Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-03-2010, 10:02
Super Moderator

Thumbs down WARNING!!!! Gas inspection scam.

Can i warn business owners and residents that bogus gas inspectors are in the area. Two guys in orange uniforms turned up at a bar owned by friends yesterday lunchtime and insisted on checking the gas pipes and regulators, they said theirs needed replacing, these had been replaced 2 years ago but my friend could not find the paperwork. So she was charged €190 to replace the regulators and was issued a certificate and official looking contract, another guy then turned up with 2 regulators, which set alarm bells ringing, because they had 3 that had all been renewed at the same time. So why would only 2 need to be replaced?. When she asked them about this they quickly left, she rang the number on the contract which was permanently engaged, eventually after phoning another number she found out it was a scam.
You can buy the regulators in the hardware shop for about €10 each so they made a very nice profit.
Old 24-03-2010, 17:13

Just goes to show these things happen all over the world, who can you trust these days ?
not many people by the sounds of it.
Old 24-03-2010, 19:21

Same rules apply in PP as here. Never let anyone into your property without checking identity and or calling the utility company. Trust she reported them to La Policia.

Adios

Dave
Old 24-03-2010, 20:18
Super Moderator

Agree with you Dave but as i said in my post this was a bar which is obviously open to the public and it was lunchtime.
They had IDs which looked genuine, what didn't help was that she was on her own, serving and cooking meals.
Old 27-03-2010, 14:27

Default Gas inspection scam

Yes, beware all.
Different friends in my apartment got caught out by this scam the summer before last. The man was in full uniform and refused point blank to leave until he had done 'his work'. He also failed to notice the valid Butano certificate which was lying next to the gas bottle!

(Part of the inspection is of the rubber supply pipe which is date stamped - and should be in date at all times. Mind you, these can be bought easily & cheaply from a good hardware shop.)

The trouble is that he had paperwork from the gas company 'Butano' and appeared genuine so my friends paid up again (unecessarily!). My agent took all the paperwork and the valid certificate and managed to get the money refunded by Butano in Alcudia in the end but it was an effort as you can probably imagine!
Old 20-05-2010, 12:05

Angry Butano gas inspection scam

Just to add that the Butano scam is definitely happening again as Sparky rightly reported.
I was visiting a friend who runs the small Hostal Bellavista pension in Carrer de les Monges in PP last week. The 'Butano' gas man turned up demanding loads of money for work he had supposedly got sanctioned earlier by a 90 year old member of the family. It took my friend quite a while to dispute the Butano man's story and to send him packing - so beware all!
Old 20-05-2010, 12:19
Super Moderator

I had one ring my doorbell last week, don't know how he got in the main door but he stood no chance of getting passed me .
Old 20-05-2010, 13:24

This is such a worry especially as we are now into the rental season and as much as you tell renters to always call to check they often feel intimidated.

If we are now aware of this scam surely the powers that be in the Port are too and can do something about it.??
Old 20-05-2010, 16:01
Super Moderator

Eleanor, these things happen in the UK too, probably more so and it is wrong but the "Powers that be" can't be everywhere in PP or in the UK.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:10

Yes of course I am aware that things happen in the UK as well as most places. Obviously the powers that be can't be everywhere either BUT this scam has been spoken about for a while now on this forum and as it is obviously still going on as per your post then I was only suggesting that if it is still going on it is probably easy for them to get away with it. If people were to perhaps report this to the police when approached then they may be able to catch these scammers 'on the job' - so to speak!

Last edited by eleanor; 20-05-2010 at 16:12. Reason: spelling
Old 20-05-2010, 16:25

Is there a way of telling the true one as opposed to the fake one? Badge, certificate etc. If so, the police could put out leaflets advising what to look out for, much the same way as they do here when a scam becomes prolific.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:29
Super Moderator

Oh believe me it is being reported to the police but they can't have an officer posted on every street corner.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:31

Totally agree and understand that Sparky, hence the reference to leaflet drops. This gives out information on a large scale and can be delivered pretty easily either directly to apartments/villas in areas concerned, or left in supermarkets etc and put in shopping bags by assistants.
Its down to communities to complain direct to the police and ask for assistance.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:43
Super Moderator

Sorry Bella, crossed posts again. I think the majority of residents and business owners are now wise to this scam.
Maybe owners who rent out privately should pre warn their clients of the problem and leave a contact number so they can check if it is a legitimate caller.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:46

You are right Bella. It seems that this scam is easy for these people and they must feel comfortable that they will get away with it. Of course it is not possible for police to be on every corner but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be aware of what is happening. We know because we have been told via this site. Many will not be aware and leaflets in supermarkets etc can only help to get the message across as Bella suggests. If these scammers think the majority are on to them they will either move on or possibly think of something else. Knowledge is power and like we have said so many times - beware - but when people are on holiday especially in a different country possibly in someone's property, it is very difficult for them. To at least be aware of what the scammers are up to would help everyone.