Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   Paying Income Tax (Form FD9) (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/5630-paying-income-tax-form-fd9.html)

Deanscroft 05-02-2010 23:42

Paying Income Tax (Form FD9)

I have recently completed the Form FD9 provided by the UK Inland Revenue and used to get any income from the UK paid tax free. The Form is provided in both English and Spanish and has to be stamped by the Hacienda (Spanish Inland Revenue) to prove that income tax is being paid here instead of in the UK. I sent the forms to the Hacienda but instead of getting the English version of the form returned stamped and signed as requested I have received a letter stating that I pay tax in Spain. The letter is in both English and Spanish and also includes an access code to the Agencys web site where the same letter can be viewed on-line.

My question is - has anyone tried submitting this letter to the Inland Revenue in UK instead of having the Form FD9 stamped and if so was it accepted?

Belladonna 06-02-2010 10:53

It would probably be best to get advice from either a solicitor or a personal accountant. Tax paying is a complete can of worms!

lollipop 06-02-2010 14:03

Deanscroft, Are you resident in Mallorca?? I think that the FD9 is for residents so that all your tax gets paid in Spain,the only ones taxable then in the uk are pensions paid out of public funds or of local authority funds. We have recently completed ours and as Belladonna says its better to use a solicitor especially for the first application. Good Luck

Deanscroft 06-02-2010 17:58

Yes I am resident. The FD9 can only be used by a resident who has already submitted an income tax return in Spain. Once this has been done you then use the FD9 to claim back any tax previously paid in the UK for the same year.

lollipop 06-02-2010 20:04

Deans croft, we received the form back last year so perhaps they have changed their system, got to be worth submitting the letter or emailing the IR in the UK and asking id they will accept it. This is probably easier than trying to have the same conversation with the Hacienda here. Could you download another FD9, complete it with your claim details and attach the letter to it, or do you have a copy of the one submitted.

Deanscroft 01-03-2010 17:07

Just to update this thread. I submitted the FD9 along with the letter from the Hacienda and included my own covering letter explaining that the Hacienda in Spain no longer sign the FD9 Form and hey presto I have today received a nice fat cheque refunding all the tax I paid in the UK for the last complete tax year - result.
Deanscroft

lollipop 02-03-2010 14:42

Well done Deanscroft, the drinks are on you then.