Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-2010, 20:23

Default cleaning PP

Pollenca council ahve just signed up to a state of the art cleaning system for Pollenca,PP and CSV. Every bin will have a chip(no jokes please) and all of the cleaning machines will have GPS tracking . So, the idea is that the council can check date,time and frequency of bin emptying and monitor that the cleaning company are cleaning the streets and at the frequency agreed in the contract. Also citizens can check up on it on the internet(presumably if they havent got a life and should really get out more!)
Sponsored Links
Old 28-01-2010, 21:01

Oh seems bit like Big Brother!
Old 29-01-2010, 00:43
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Also citizens can check up on it on the internet(presumably if they havent got a life and should really get out more!)

So we can play track the bin!
Old 29-01-2010, 02:30
Super Moderator

I have not heard this one, all i can say is i get woken up early every day and have been since i moved here, by the bin emptiers and the street cleaners. We do have a brand new road sweeping machine but i don't know if it has GPS , and i aint about to rummage through the bins for chips .
Old 29-01-2010, 03:23

Sparky! Aye, we call them "the noisy boys". Incidently, noticed last week there's very little evidence of the dog mess we were complaining about in the summer, this would suggest it is not locals who are responsible and more to do with the summer visitor and there lack of respect for the area?
Old 29-01-2010, 09:20

Smiddy ... your note of the dog mess reminded me to post the following .....

Dog mess is, we know, repulsive stuff; enough, sometimes, to make even the most besotted of dog-lovers gag. It can also be dangerous: Toxocara canis is the common roundworm of the dog, and the faeces of an infected animal can carry up to 1m Toxocara eggs. Probably only about 5% of pet dogs are infected, mostly puppies and pregnant bitches, but the eggs - which become infectious only when they mature, about two or three weeks after being deposited - can lie dormant in soil for up to three years, and are highly resistant to temperature changes or chemical disinfectants.

If you (or, more likely, your child) swallows these microscopic eggs, for example after touching infected soil or a shoe or a buggy wheel and putting their hands to their mouths, they can contract toxocariasis. The symptoms include aches, dizziness, nausea, asthma, epileptic fits and eye disorders that can occasionally culminate in blindness. Up to 100 cases a year are reported in Britain, mostly in children under five.

As my wife 'works' with the visually impaired/blind she has spoken, on numerous occasions with the 'locals' regarding, in particular the mess on the beach during the winter. NOT ONE has been aware of toxocariasis (never mentioned in Spain) however the eggs can last in sand for years and years.
Old 29-01-2010, 10:38

That is amazing as it is a very high profile subject with young mums in the UK. Good on your wife for attempting to bring it to their attention. I'm sure that when the point of children is pushed more than just being a mess, then the locals will also pay more attention - who ever is responsible.
Old 29-01-2010, 10:49
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Sparky! Aye, we call them "the noisy boys". Incidently, noticed last week there's very little evidence of the dog mess we were complaining about in the summer, this would suggest it is not locals who are responsible and more to do with the summer visitor and there lack of respect for the area?
Smiddy, there is still some doggy doo about but not as bad as in summer, i think it's worse in season because there are a lot of mainlanders here for work who bring their dogs with them.
Old 29-01-2010, 13:36

SunP, Am i right in saying dogs are banned from the beaches in summer, i was always aware of the blindness factor, but did see quite a few owners on the beach with dogs last week, with the info you've supplied obviously a blanket ban is required. No offence to responsible dog owners, i love dogs, but dont own one as i cloudn't give them the time and care they deserve. One of the nicest sights last week was seeing joggers out with their dogs happily running along with them.
Old 29-01-2010, 15:39

[QUOTE=Smiddy;39084]SunP, Am i right in saying dogs are banned from the beaches in summer, QUOTE]

Dogs are banned in the summer - from Easter > end October from memory however often in the summer, particularly early morning/late evening I have seen walkers/joggers on the beach with their dogs. The point of my posting however was that what the dogs 'leave' on the beach in the winter (when they are allowed) can be buried but still 'live' in the summer. Particularly in children the loss of sight factor does not materialise for some considerable time (probably when the child/family are back in the UK) so it is impossible to determine where they picked up the virus/toxocara from. My own wish is that people were just more aware of the problem and took a more responsible attitude ~ as I said NOBODY we have ever spoken to out there has even heard of toxocara.
Old 29-01-2010, 17:43

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
There are plenty of locals(dogs I mean!) responsible for the mess
Old 29-01-2010, 18:43

Ray, I'm going to hate myself for posting this I'm sure, but sitting in Brisas Marina a couple of months ago, I'm afraid we saw a person (wouldn't dare to say local or otherwise, but it was out of season!) doing just that, thinking he was hidden by the wall! - Male, naturally!
Old 29-01-2010, 18:52
Super Moderator

OMG!!! Bella.
Old 30-01-2010, 19:52
Banned

I suppose this could be seen as a bit "big brotherish" but I'm all for PP looking smart and being as clean and tidy as possible.

If the firm used to do the cleaning is not doing their job properly then they fully deserve to be challenged. That's what they're being paid for.

Just hope the dog mess gets cleaned up as well !!!
Old 31-01-2010, 17:02

nickpaulanoah -Just hope the dog mess gets cleaned up as well !!

As is here - it is the responsibility of the dog owner to clean up after their dog. It is a case of education I am afraid! There are many posts on this issue on this forum so I don't want to duplicate. Suffice it to say that until the dog owners in PP are educated to clear up after their dogs as is the case in the UK - it will not improve. Here many dog owners would be embarrassed not to clear up after their dogs. That does not seem to be the case in PP. (IMO!)