Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-01-2010, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Ray, I'm going to hate myself for posting this I'm sure, but sitting in Brisas Marina a couple of months ago, I'm afraid we saw a person (wouldn't dare to say local or otherwise, but it was out of season!) doing just that, thinking he was hidden by the wall! - Male, naturally!
Bella, are you sure it wasnt Paula Radcliffe?
Sponsored Links
Old 31-01-2010, 17:19

Naughty! I know what you are on about, but lets leave it at that!
Old 31-01-2010, 18:11

All PP seems to have are the big green bins for rubbish etc. The UK have a lot of smaller bins attached to lamp posts which the guys who clean the streets pop any dog pooh into along with the everyday disgarded rubbish (by humans). Perhaps a similar system would help, not a pleasant job i admit but they use these extended arm things and are nowhere near in contact with the offending objects. If dog owners aren't going to remove their dogs dirt, who do they think will???

Holiday resorts spend a lot of money advertising the beauty of their resorts, they really have to treat this disgusting problem more seriously, it does PP no favours at all.

Last edited by Smiddy; 31-01-2010 at 18:16.
Old 31-01-2010, 18:25
Super Moderator

Hi Smiddy, there are a lot of small litter bins around the port, every day a guy empties them and puts a new bag in.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:59

Never noticed them Sparky! The ones here are clearly marked for "dog dirt" also, so the guy puts the dog dirt in along with all the other rubbish, this is then collected every day and disposed of, and a new bag replenished, dog dirt does not lie in the street for days on end.
Old 01-02-2010, 13:20
Super Moderator

I know i have been away from Plymouth for a while but it was a much bigger problem there. The few few litter bins that were there were not emptied regularly, so the contents spilled out everywhere .
Here just in my street there is a bin across the road from El Posito and one on the corner of Roger de Flor and i counted 4 in the square.
Old 02-02-2010, 00:44

Right Lyn, that's summer sorted, i'm counting all the bins
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40

On a lamp post near to the tourist office there is a notice saying that there is a €60 fine for anyone not clearing up after their dog. Unfortunately it does not look very official but has been there for some months!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 17:50

I was astounded to hear that the rule about dogs on the beach is waved for the winter!
Would love to know how many people pick the poo off the beach as it is less obvious than on the pavment. I suppose residents have to have some rights and with respect, did notice less dog poo last year and would hope that the education program keeps working. There are doggy bins in most areas but I still watch people ignoring their dogs poo even though there is a bin nearby.
Old 02-02-2010, 18:14
Banned

I've seen several people let their dogs mess anywhere then walk off without cleaning it up. And they do it when you're watching so they have no shame.

It is all down to ignorance, and possibly the fact that if the police could be bothered to start fining people it might ease the problem.

Does anyone know if the local council are aware of the problem? Do members of the council read this forum?

It needs to be sorted as it is a most disgusting trait.
Old 02-02-2010, 23:43

I would doubt that any member of the council would read this forum. The people have no shame as they feel no shame. I think the attitude in Europe towards this subject is different to ours. I do not believe the people have been educated to understand that to many it is disgusting. To them it is quite natural, i'm sure.

I'm not sure if police actually follow up the problem in the UK either? - but what I am sure about is that in the UK the majority of dog owners are responsible people and understand through education that it is unacceptable behaviour not to clear up. I also think it is self policed and most would clear up to avoid the embarrassment of being comfronted by someone. I can't see this happening in PP somehow.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
I would doubt that any member of the council would read this forum. The people have no shame as they feel no shame. I think the attitude in Europe towards this subject is different to ours. I do not believe the people have been educated to understand that to many it is disgusting. To them it is quite natural, i'm sure.
I'm not sure if police actually follow up the problem in the UK either? - but what I am sure about is that in the UK the majority of dog owners are responsible people and understand through education that it is unacceptable behaviour not to clear up. I also think it is self policed and most would clear up to avoid the embarrassment of being comfronted by someone. I can't see this happening in PP somehow.
Totally agree - one day things will 'catch up'. As pressure has mounted the Spanish are gradually reducing the number of bull fights and if you talk to them they cannot believe we are so barbaric as to hunt down foxes. Just glare at people whose dogs leave a mess ~ maybe one day the message will get through.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56

With reference to my post about the 60euro fine ,this is actually on the post of the tourist office and has been renewed,so maybe the office staff have posted it. Perhaps a few more around the port would help.
Old 03-02-2010, 19:29

Obviously a fine would make some think but I don't think it is the answer. I still think the answer is educating people to accept that it is unacceptable behaviour and a health hazard. The fine would only deter whilst the dog owners think they are being watched. If no one was around to witness, i'm sure they still wouldn't clear up.
I am lucky in that the seafront I walk my dogs here in the UK is fairly free from dog mess. This is not because of the threat of a fine it is because us dog owners know that is what we do.
I see the same people most days walking their dogs and I can honestly say I have never seen them not clear up on or off the beach. Once it becomes the norm in PP it will be the minority which cause the problem and it is then that other dog owners will come down on them hard if they let their club down. - we live in hope!
Old 03-02-2010, 21:22

Default I'll have a go!

Seriously (not that I don't think previous posts have been serious) I am quite willing - either through this forum or not - to endevour to impress upon the Council/local community that the dog dirt ~ whether it be on the footpaths/roads/beach ~ is just not acceptable. The number of times I have stood in the 'stuff' then looked around for some grass (limited supply in the Port!) to wipe my shoes on I have lost track off..... yes I know I should look where I'm walking but at times there are better things to look at than something which might below my feet.

So I am quite willing to TRY and tackle the problem with a concerted voice of consent. My Spanish ain't great but the first thing I would need is email addresses of people that matter. From a personal point of view I know Miquel Cifre who I think is still the leader of the Ports Tourist Bureau + something to do with the yatch club.

SP