Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-10-2009, 08:43
Super Moderator

Default Long term rental

Hi Shotokan, glad you got fixed up with your long term rental. Some of the deals being offered are good at the moment. Where is your apartment and i am interested to know if you did it privately or through an agent?.
I always did private (with Spanish/ Mallorcan owners) holiday rentals,and found they were cheaper.
Old 23-10-2009, 09:18

I think I misunderstood Shotokan's post - too early in the morning for me -brain still asleep. I thought it referred to giving a property to an agent for a year. Just re-read and now understood - going to have my wake up coffee now!
Old 23-10-2009, 09:56

El, where theres a rentee there is always a renter so some agents will still be interested. Try Villa Parade as they do sometimes express an interest in some locations.
Old 23-10-2009, 13:55

I personally would not consider a long term rental again.

When we did rent out our apartment we once agreed to a 3 month let for a lady who lives and works in PP while she was between houses.

The rental income is far lower than short term lets as the rentee is supposed to cover all bills themselves.

This particular person (I will not call her a lady) left the apartment in a dreadful, unclean and tatty state, was a pain to get her out (we ended up dumping a load of her stuff outside the apartment) and never paid any of the bills she was supposed to

To cap it all when she disappeared so did all of my late mothers antique Mallorcan plates

Never again

GG
Old 23-10-2009, 14:39
Super Moderator

GG, sorry to hear that but surely that is a risk you take even if you rent out short term. I know a couple of ladies who do flat cleaning and some of the tales they have to tell of what they find on changeover day are horrendous.
Once again it comes down to a lack of respect, doesn't it?.
Old 23-10-2009, 17:28

Hi Sparky - we found that we had very few problems on the short lets and of course the apartment would be cleaned every week or two with change over.

The problem with longer lets is that you have far less control and the cleaning etc. is out of your hands. In theory the agent should have got a deposit but didn't.

Also be very wary of lets over 1 year because this gives the rentee far more rights. Check it out with your solicitor

GG
Old 23-10-2009, 19:27
Super Moderator

GG i don't own property here, i am speaking as a tennant.
Old 23-10-2009, 22:11

GG, agree with agents sometimes not double checking when clients leave. We had quite a bit of trouble one time when we arrived for our holiday after a rental had left, large items missing, damage and mess, and the agent got out of it because we hadnt done a "full and final inventory" of the apartment! Needless to say we now have listed every nut and bolt! Be aware!
Old 24-10-2009, 12:17

Thanks for all your comments on this. After thinking about it I have decided not to go for long term rentals as control seems a difficulty.
As for short term - i.e. holiday rents, we have used a couple of agents both when we owned the apartment and later on buying the villa. It was a disaster to say the least. I am afraid this and our many dealings with using property agents for buying and selling has left a very bad taste. I can say many many things about agents but would probably be expelled from this site. It is enough to say that unless pushed I would never have dealings with them again.
We will continue to rent privately and if that means a few weeks during the season not rented so be it - we will use ourselves.
I did wonder if there was a company that took over a property for a set number of weeks and paid a set sum and also during the time they held the property, actually dealt with all the domestics such as monitoring the renters and cleaning etc etc.
On reflection, probably not a good idea either?
Old 24-10-2009, 13:51

Question

Hi Eleanor
Where is your villa and where do you advertise. Send me a PM if you would prefer in case you look as if you are advertising!!!!

Thanks
Old 24-10-2009, 15:40

Hi eleanor

I know Marfran in the port used to take on long term rentals for holiday use and see to all the domestics etc dont know if they still do or indeed are still there.
Also not sure if they just stick to Pine Walk properties.

Regards

Pansy
Old 24-10-2009, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollabbi View Post
Hi Eleanor
Where is your villa and where do you advertise. Send me a PM if you would prefer in case you look as if you are advertising!!!!

Thanks
Hi ragdollabbi,
It is no secret - My villa is in the residential area of Gommar about a 2 minute walk from the Hideaway restaurant. 10-15 minute walk into the centre of town and harbour. I advertise on this site, but yes, i will send you a pm with details.
Old 24-10-2009, 21:53

Have been told that Marfran deal only with short term holiday lets in the Pine Walk area.
This maybe helpful information to anyone who wants to be in that particular area.