Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Properties View Post
There is also Park and Fly which is cheaper plus I now believe as part of the 6/12 month rental they include island wide breakdown cover.
Thanx for that SP...looks like a possible... what do u think the HALL parking means...like garage maybe ?

And just did a search for the 'Grua gratuita por toda la isla' translation and got back 'free crane across the island' lol

Also noticed on their 'who we are' page, that u can purchase from them to, from their existing car hire fleet.

Miriam

Last edited by med777; 10-11-2009 at 22:58.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by med777 View Post
Thanx for that SP...looks like a possible... what do u think the HALL parking means...like garage maybe ?
Miriam
I know they have some under canopy parking. You can see the location when you are at about 150 feet off the ground when taking off from Palma! This is one of the problems with parking there - the cars get covered in dirt/dust from the planes but don't worry they wash your car for you .................... if they remember!! Another benefit is that you can email them when you are coming out so they can (sometimes) get your car ready. You could actually walk to P & F but problem is there is no footpath from the airport.
Old 10-11-2009, 23:13

Default Guide to importing.

DEFINITIVE GUIDE

I think this FAQ covers all you need to know.

Why do I need to register my British plated vehicle in Spain?
Simple really, It's the law to do so If you are considered a resident. You are no longer considered a tourist if you have spent more than 3 months in one visit.

I've been told and read that taking a RHD car to Spain isn't the best of ideas is that True?
Correct, a RHD car in a LHD country can be a hassle and more importantly dangerous, Simply put a LHD countries road layout has not been designed with any thought for RHD cars and why should it? Then you have the extra hassle of toll barriers, parking, resell value, etc.

If you need a vehicle to aid your move or so you can be mobile from the moment you arrive in Spain then I would strongly suggest purchasing a LHD car in the UK.

I've heard that RHD commercial vehicles can not be registered in Spain at all is this true?
Correct for safety reasons RHD commercial vehicles are not allowed to be registered in Spain, this includes trucks like Toyota Vigo/Hilux and Nissan Narava types.

It is also worth checking before you leave if you have what is considered a RHD dual-purpose vehicle, A Vehicle that has 2 versions one for Commercial and one for Normal use such as the Citroen Berlingo & Renault Kangoo.

What are the differences between registering a British RHD or LHD car?
Nothing apart from if your LHD vehicle still has the LHD headlights/rear fog attached or with it then you do not have the extra expense of paying for new lights and installation.

What is a Certificate of Conformity paper?
A Certificate of Conformity (C.O.C) is a certificate that proves the vehicle obeys all the EU laws and regulations at the point of its first registration. This certificate is ONLY available to vehicles that were built within the last 10-12 years and were first registered within an EU country.

What happens if my vehicle is older than 10-12 years old so will not have a C.O.C document available?
You may still be able to contact the manufacturer and ask for a Certificate of Compliance which gives a detailed list of the vehicle but will not have any EU type approval, this can still be used to aid registration.

What other personal documentation will I need before going any further?
You will need the original UK V5 registration document, your passport, your residencey card/certificate, N.I.E number.

Also if you have an original bill of sale to your name that is quite usefull in proving how long you have owned the vehicle to bypass the first registration tax.

What is import duty? I thought there was no such thing within the EU community?
There is no 'Import Duty' in Spain, however there is a first registration tax that every vehicle has to pay.

However if you have owned the vehicle for more than six months you do not have to pay it, this can normally be proven by the V5 document and if you have it the original bill of sale.

If you have problems in this area you can contact the British consulate who can supply you a document called a Baja Consular which is a sworn statement showing how long you have owned the vehicle for. This unfortunately they charge around €150 for but if it means saving hundreds or thousands of euros in first registration tax it is a small price to pay.

If I have to pay the first registration tax how much will it cost?
As of 1st Jan 2008 the method of calculating the tax has changed significantly and is now based on Co2 emissions.

To calculate the cost they have to come up with a base figure of how much they say your car is worth. This is done in exactly the same way as the previous way which is to take into consideration the : Age, Make/Model & Fuel Type.

And now the level of taxation is based on the Co2 output table below :

CO2 emission of less than : 120 g/Km = 0% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of between : 120-160 g/Km = 4.75% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of between : 160-200g/Km = 9.75% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of more than : 200g/Km = 14.75% of the vehicle value

Examples:

1> If you have a vehicle that is worth €1000 and has a Co2 reading of 110 g/km then you pay nothing.
2> If you have a vehicle that is worth €1000 and has a Co2 reading of 220 g/km then you pay €147.50

For motorcycles it's still based on CC for bikes with less than 250cc it's free and for above it is 12% of its considered value.

If you wish to find out the level of Co2 your vehicle has then if it is a modern vehicle (2001 onwards) it will be on your V5 document .

Do I have to pay any further IVA (VAT) when I register the vehicle?
The EU law states that if the vehicle has had the tax paid on it in another member state and the vehicle is more than six months old AND has more than 6000KM's then you are not liable to pay further tax on the vehicle. However, this does not include any first registration taxes.

Can I pay a Gestor to do all the paperwork for me?
Yes you can and I would strongly suggest you do so, as one false move or hold up can result in you possibly paying the first registration tax.

However they will charge on average €250-300 to do it, based on you doing steps 1-5 below yourself.

Do I need Spanish insurance on my vehicle to obtain Spanish registration?
A lot of the time you are not asked to provide insurance details when registering your vehicle, but if you are your UK Insurance will serve no purpose.

You will have to contact a Spanish insurer that will issue you insurance based on the vehicles chassis number (also known as VIN) which can be found in your V5 document.

However you MUST by law obtain insurance from a Spanish company the moment your vehicle is registered.

What is the process of registration or being Matriculated as it is known in Spain?
Firstly, like anything in Spain there is no 100% way of doing something, there will be slightly different rules/employees understanding of the rules from place to place.

Step 1: Make sure your vehicle has LHD headlights and the rear fog light is on the correct side, it can also be in the middle if that is where the manufacturer originally designed it to be. You also have to make sure that the speedo has a read-out that is also in KM/H (KPH) too. This can be confusing to a lot of people but basically if 'how fast' you're going has a KM/H(KPH) readout (it can be dual MPH/KPH) then that is fine. Your vehicle does not need to record distances in KM's.

In most cases the front bumper will need to come off to replace headlights and sometimes the wiring needs to be rerouted to change the rear fog light if the vehicle is RHD.

Step 2: Look at your paperwork to see if your vehicle comes with a C.O.C document if it was built before 2006/7 the chances are it will not have one automatically, but one can be obtained by contacting the manufacturer directly. Normally you have to ask for the homologation department. There is normally a fee for this document anything from £50-120 or €75-150

However if you have a LHD UK plated vehicle then one is bound to be with your documents as it would have been needed to gain UK registration in the first place.

Step 3: You will now need a Tecnico to make a report called a "Ficha Technica" or "Ficha Reducida" This cross references all the information from the C.O.C or Compliance certificate to make sure the vehicle still holds true to it. Any modifications to the vehicle from the original spec will in most cases need to be reverted back to standard before the report will be granted.

The inspection can take anything from 30 mins to 3 hours to carry out and do not be surprised if you see the person actually measure the vehicles length, width and height and compare it to the documents. The report can take anything from the same day to up to 5 days in some cases to be ready for collection.

This is not to say some modifications will not make it pass or go unnoticed, but the safe and fast route would be to have a completely standard vehicle.

Step 4: Now armed with your Ficha Technica, your UK V5 and identification, book a test at your local ITV station and obtain an ITV (MOT) for the vehicle.

Step 5: Now go to your Gestor and give them all the documentation you have got and let them submit the paperwork or proceed to Step6.

Step 6: Tax(IVA) & first registration tax ; Even if you do not have any IVA or the first reg tax to pay you still need a piece of paper to say so! So now this is where it gets confusing!

It is different from place to place, region to region but the best place to start is your local town hall to find out where you have to obtain tax clearance.
If you do have IVA or first reg tax payable they will issue you with an invoice which in most cases can then be paid at a bank that is declared on the paperwork itself. Remember always always keep receipts for everything you do.

If you have problems proving you are not liable for the first registration tax then get your 'local' British Consulate involved who should be able to supply you with a sworn statement saying that you have owned the vehicle for more than six months, as always, at a cost (see above)

Step 7: Again depending on area, Take everything you have including your tax clearance documents to Traffico and fill in the associated forms, pay the costs (First reg costs and road tax) or pick them up to take home to get translated before you fill them in. Once you have submitted the forms to Traffico it can take anything from the same day to 2 weeks to get the paperwork back so you can have a fully Legal Spanish vehicle.
Old 11-11-2009, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Properties View Post
DEFINITIVE GUIDE

I think this FAQ covers all you need to know.
Hiya SP, for ur information... that little lot was 2 full A4 pages worth ! I just printed it off !
Well, the deed has been done... hubby couldn't contain himself any longer and a has bought the second hand Picasso (rhd) so now I am going to give him a little 'light' reading ! lol
Thanks for all the info

Miriam
Old 20-11-2009, 16:24

Default Car registration in mallorca

Does anyone know where the nearest trafico office is to Pollensa so I can reregister my recently purchased car which is on Spanish plates.Address if known would be usefull .
The Senor
Old 20-11-2009, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENOR CIGAR View Post
Does anyone know where the nearest trafico office is to Pollensa so I can reregister my recently purchased car which is on Spanish plates.Address if known would be usefull .
The Senor
Understand it is in the Old Town as garage I am buying from are taking me there next Friday (27th) ..... if you find out before then please post address or I will advise next week. Have been told to bring my passport, NIE and driving licence plus bank details. Understand that annual road tax (58 euro for my C02) will be taken by direct debit. Insurance working out at 299 euro p.a. which seems good value given the standard of some of the road users!

Last edited by Sun Properties; 20-11-2009 at 16:53. Reason: Spelling (again!)
Old 21-11-2009, 11:15

Thanks for info.I am picking up spanish reg car in Alicante and coming over on ferry so I may be able to do it there with the seller (check any fines while I still have hold of him!)
If not the old town is ideal .Do we know if they open every day Mon -Fri as I am only there for 1 full day.If not does anyone know a Gestor to do it for me or will a solicitor undertake this for me ?
The Senor
Old 21-11-2009, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENOR CIGAR View Post
If not the old town is ideal .Do we know if they open every day Mon -Fri as I am only there for 1 full day.If not does anyone know a Gestor to do it for me or will a solicitor undertake this for me ?
The Senor
Good luck with the journey over and apologies for only giving you half responses but .... I was told it was foolhardy not to use a gestoria if buying a car (second hand) - presume a solcitor just as good - never used a gestoria before (don't even know what one is!) but my seller is paying the gestoria as part of my purchase price however understand he is charging 250 > 280 euro (!) so he must be doing something for his money.

Further info from Spain.es website....

"All vehicles must be taxed in Spain.

The level of road tax in Spain is set by the municipal authorities and will vary from area to area. The tax is paid to the local authority and can be paid in person at the relevant Town Hall office or at a bank.

Not paying this tax can have serious consequences with your vehicle being impounded."

Last edited by Sun Properties; 21-11-2009 at 17:43. Reason: Further info
Old 21-11-2009, 13:54

We used a gestor in Pollensa town to change our English LHD car to Spanish plates. If you would like his details, PM me, and I will pass them on.