Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 20:44

Default Butano gas man?

Beware of the Butano Gas man! The Butano gas inspector visited my apartment last year in July and carried out a safety inspection. He replaced the rubber tube which connects the gas bottle to the cooker and charged just over 70 euros for his work. I fully understand the reasons for making safety inspections but the new rubber tube was supposed to be guaranteed for 5 years!
Rather surprisingly he came back again this year in July and insisted on carrying out other inspection. Different friends were staying in the apartment then so they weren’t aware of the previous visit by the Butano man. He refused to leave until he had been paid for carrying out his inspection – this time 42.31 euros. He gave another 5 year certificate which he put in a bright orange folder. The folder and the certificate were placed right next to the gas bottle in the cupboard by the cooker.
What a surprise to find that he came back again in September and insisted on carrying out another ‘safety’ inspection! What a shame that my friends didn’t look in the gas bottle cupboard themselves otherwise they would have seen the orange folder and certificate lying there. The Butano man didn’t see it or somehow managed to ignore it and issued another 5 year safety certificate and demanded another 42.31 euros. If I was a bit more cynical I’d be thinking ‘nice little earner!’. The pre-printed name on the certificate is the same guy each time. Needless to say I’ve been in contact with Butano de Baleares and they have promised to refund me for the second certificate. I wonder how long that will take though.
So beware, everyone if you see the Seņor Butano de Baleares man coming your way!
Has anyone else been caught out this way?

Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-10-2008 at 20:56.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 04:35

Default bogus butano men

Beware! Bogus butano men have been spotted in the area. They prey on those living alone, the elderly and especially people who don't speak much Spanish. You got away lightly, I know of one lady who was charged 600 euros for a similar "inspection". Check credentials and don't pay on the spot in cash.
Old 07-10-2008, 14:40

Default Bogus Butano Man

Thanks for that Ann.
I couldn't imagine that this was just one isolated case. Glad that I didn't get ripped off as much as some may have been.
It looks like anyone using Butano gas bottles in their homes should be very cautious about any of these so called 'safety inspectors'. The guy in July turned up unannounced & was very forceful. He wouldn't leave until he'd carried out his 'inspection' and then, of course, wouldn't leave until he'd been paid - so who knows who'll be taken in by him next. Be careful everyone and pass the word around!

Last edited by Lorenzo; 07-10-2008 at 14:51.
Old 08-10-2008, 13:39

Default Butano inspection

Having just read your posts I am a little conserned. We have recently had to change from an electric cooker to a gas one (could not get an electric one in the time frame we had - none on the island!)

My wife organised it when she was last in the port and I am certain that she was not told by Comfort that any inspections of said device where neccessary or indeed obligatory. Do you know if this is something that has to be done by law?

Surely a man just turning up out of the blue must be bogus!

Does anyone else have experience of this or more information?

GG
Old 08-10-2008, 21:40

Default Butano gas 'safety' checks

Hola GG
I'm not sure where gas users stand legally on this one. The chaps that visited this year were both in Butano uniform - so looked official - and all of the paperwork is on Butano headed paper - plus all the receipts appear genuine. It's just seems to me that the guy is obviously suffering from a touch of amnesia or is possibly onto a nice little earner since he's managed to come twice this year already! When I spoke to Butano on the phone to complain they seemed to recognise the name of the safety inspector printed on the certificate form and apologised. They say that they will refund me so I've written to them now. Fingers crossed anyway.
Certainly the rubber pipe which connects the gas bottle to the cooker in my flat is date stamped. I guess that it is therefore reasonable for someone to make sure that the pipes don't perish and then possibly allow gas leaks - especially in apartment blocks with so many absent owners on the island. However, the tactics are pretty dubious and on both occasions the chap refused to leave until he'd done his work and been paid.
I would imagine that if you've just bought from Confort that your cooker will be all up to date but it might be worth checking to see if you need to keep some sort of gas safety certificate to hand just in case.
If anyone else has any more information on this topic please let us know!
Old 29-04-2009, 17:48

Default Butano gas man

Further to previous posts, I'm happy to report that my local agent has managed to get a refund from Butano at last.
She has also advised me that no-one has to allow these people into their properties. I guess that they use their uniform and 'persuasive' ways to get into various flats and houses. So it's wise to remain cautious.
Apparently the date-stamped rubber hose connections for your gas bottles can be easily & cheaply purchased from most hardware shops. I think that they last about 5 years but probably best to check yours is up-to-date.