Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Living & Working in the Pollensa Area (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/)
-   -   4000 euros a bed! (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/living-working-pollensa-area/4260-4000-euros-bed.html)

Gommar Goffer 02-02-2009 11:34

4000 euros a bed!

I see that, accoring to Sundays online Daily Bulletin, the dept. of tourism is thinking of licensing private lets. Only 4000 euros a bed!!:eek:

For me that would be a mere 32000 euros!

I recon it would take me 10 years to get into profit!!:mad:

I wonder what the hoteliers have to pay??:confused:

GG

El Gordo 02-02-2009 12:42

Well spotted GG. I think the cost at 4000 Euros per bed? (whatever that means) is effectively saying NO!! to private lets. I also was of the impression, even when the Tourist police! were granting licenses you were unable to get one for "residential" property without the whole block/community applying for change of use from residential to tourist accommodation.

Even if this were possible, the price quoted is prohibitive. If it were for a whole villa or apartment it may help them solve their problem but per bed!!!

I wonder how this affects owners who do not let commercially but let friends and family use the apartment? In previous threads it was stated by a councilor in Calvia that current licensing did not really apply to this sort of "letting" but only to those who advertised on the open market to unknown people.

Only time will tell. Does anyone else have any info?

gers1873 03-02-2009 23:44

agreed its too much but tbh i have no real symapthy with owners who let out and charge over the odds

we love pp as many do and are willing to pay a bit more for our kind of holiday, we have paid over a grand for a week in july

you can rent an apartment in manhatten or hong kong for a month for that kind of money these days

i've noticed some owners still wanting to charge £1500 and over for a week in august in pp

time to get real for some me thinks

Belladonna 04-02-2009 11:35

Could someone post me a link to this notice in Sundays Daily Bullitin please, as I cant seem to find it by searching for The Daily Bulletin. I can only find last years, which is probably much the same as now but need updates before we get in touch with our agents. Thank you.

Sparky 04-02-2009 11:39

Agree with Rangers, some of the prices are crazy and i am afraid they are going to come unstuck. People just are not going to pay it and some bar owners are going to feel the pinch as well this year unless they charge reasonable prices :eek:

Puertokid 04-02-2009 12:47

4000 Euros a bed!

:mad: So nice to hear you have no sympathy with the property owner’s ger1873 and sparky, these are the people who have bought properties in good faith who at the time of purchase on the whole were not informed of any license being required to rent their properties. There are plenty of local Estate Agents, Banks, Solicitors and Letting Agents who had a far greater knowledge of the impending law changes who have conveniently failed to inform potential and existing property purchasers of any future changes. I also find it amazing how one EU member country can implement a law that does not exist in any other EU member state purely to appease the hotel lobbyists. In answer to your quotes regarding rental costs you fail to mention how many people stayed at the villa or apartment you booked thus not giving a true reflection of costs and I presume you both had the option to stay in a hotel but chose not to, was this anything to do with staying in a hotel generally being a more expensive option? Market prices will dictate how much we are willing to pay for any item or product, this applies equally to rental charges; I think you both should have applied a little more thought to your comments before posting your seemingly green-eyed remarks. :confused:

Gommar Goffer 04-02-2009 14:25

Belladona - hopefully this will get you to DB

http://www.majorcadailybulletin.es/first.dba?2722+0+0

GG

Belladonna 04-02-2009 18:50

Yes, it does. Thank you.

graham 04-02-2009 19:18

4000 euros a bed

Have fun in Hong Kong, Gers.

gers1873 04-02-2009 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by graham (Post 27574)
Have fun in Hong Kong, Gers.

sadly the gers family will be lucky to get a week in Ayr this summer as the credit crunch is really starting to bite in our household

gers1873 04-02-2009 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puertokid (Post 27566)
:mad: So nice to hear you have no sympathy with the property owner’s ger1873 and sparky, these are the people who have bought properties in good faith who at the time of purchase on the whole were not informed of any license being required to rent their properties. There are plenty of local Estate Agents, Banks, Solicitors and Letting Agents who had a far greater knowledge of the impending law changes who have conveniently failed to inform potential and existing property purchasers of any future changes. I also find it amazing how one EU member country can implement a law that does not exist in any other EU member state purely to appease the hotel lobbyists. In answer to your quotes regarding rental costs you fail to mention how many people stayed at the villa or apartment you booked thus not giving a true reflection of costs and I presume you both had the option to stay in a hotel but chose not to, was this anything to do with staying in a hotel generally being a more expensive option? Market prices will dictate how much we are willing to pay for any item or product, this applies equally to rental charges; I think you both should have applied a little more thought to your comments before posting your seemingly green-eyed remarks. :confused:

i have every sympathy with local owners whom charge reasonable rental rates, please dont try and put words in my mouth, thank you

we dont stay in hotels as we dont like them, prefer to do our own thing in an apartment

the year we paid £1100 for 4 of us the owner boasted about how cheaply she had bought the apartment for from an english businessman whom had went bust and about how much money she was making in rentals as a result :rolleyes:

gers1873 04-02-2009 20:53

Quote:

I think you both should have applied a little more thought to your comments before posting your seemingly green-eyed remarks. :confused:

just noticed your green eyed comment there, i can assure you there is no jealous green eyed monster on my part, if i really wanted an apartment in pp i could buy one and wouldnt need to rent it out to pay for it either

perhaps it is people that have bought properties in pp that couldnt really afford it and that rely on rentals to pay for it are the ones complaining most :rolleyes:

as for local agents knowing about impending laws coming into place and not fully informing buyers, the old adage of "you pay your money and take your chances" comes to mind

gers1873 04-02-2009 20:59

Quote:

:mad: So nice to hear you have no sympathy with the property owner’s ger1873

my symathy lies with the woman in my office i made redundant on monday whos husband was paid off just before xmas and has a mortgage to pay and 4kids to feed, keep things real puertokid

pollensa 05-02-2009 00:03

OK guys the sniping is over.

This thread is about a genuine concern regarding the licensing of rental apartments. If this or a similar law is enforced, it will affect both owners who wish to let out their properties and holidaymakers who wish to stay in them. Rental properties may well be withdrawn from the market or rents raised to cover the license cost.

if anyone has any more information about rental licensing, do post here.

El Gordo 20-02-2009 15:55

Rental Licence

Just been reading an email newsletter from Spanish Property Insight.

One of the articles is about a clampdown in the Barcelona area.

"The drive to regulate short-term tourist rentals in Barcelona’s popular Old Town Gothic Quarter (Ciutat Vella) is starting to show results. 474 tourist rental apartments have been shut down since April last year, leaving 424 “illegal” flats still in operation, reports the Spanish press."

Follow this link to read the article:

Tourist rental clampdown in Barcelona?s Old Town | Spanish Property Buff

Has anyone found out any more about this?