Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 12:22

Question Rental licensing

Has anybody got any uptodate information regarding the rental licensing of apartments?

I have heard some people saying they have got them, but I am sceptical about this.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-08-2008, 18:46

Does anybody know how you apply for a license. I have a house in Gommar and as I can't sell it I have 2 choices, to rent it out on a long term rental or if I can legally sort it out, to rent it to holiday makers. I do not know how to go about either. Can anyone offer any advice?
Old 30-08-2008, 10:01

Further to my above post has anybody investigated the licensing of apartments for rental recently or is everybody keeping their heads down??
Old 30-08-2008, 22:09

I have spoken to an estate agent friend in pp and she explained that the tourist office in Palma is no longer issuing licenses. She also said that there was a curfew and some people who had rented out fincas without a license paid a small fine and they got a license. I don't know when you can apply again, but would like to find out.

My friend also explained that in previous years very few people were denounced, but now it is more common and often English residents that complain about illegal short rentals.

I believe that long term rentals are ok and do not need any type of license.

If anyone knows anything else I would be very interested.

Incidentally I used to live in an apartment in Llennaire and my neighbours rented to holiday makers and I did not mind a bit as it was not my business.
Old 31-08-2008, 19:07

The following is my undersatnding of the situation, but you should check with your solicitor. 1. Property built under a residential licence cannot be let as a holiday rental unless it has been (re)licensed as such. I think this only applies, however, to fincas and villas with some land. 2. Any property can be let as a "residential" let but check the minimum rental period. I have heard conflicting tales on this, varying from no minimum to a minimum of six months. 3. it is illegal to rent as a holiday let any apartment built under a residential licence although some people do, but they do run the risk of fines reportedly as high as 30,000 euros. If they are not declaring their income to the Spanish and UK revenue authorities, the penalties could be more severe. 4. If your property is one of the terrace houses in Gotmar, my guess is that it will fall under the same regulations as apartments. 5. This item, and the pros and cons of the rental law, have been discussed through several threads on this site, so do hunt out the other comments.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26

See the letters page of the Majorca Daily Bulletin (Sun / Mon 31 August) for more news.

Majorca Daily Bulletin
Old 01-09-2008, 18:16

Thank you Pinereto and Mariquita - I saw that letter.

I guess I was hoping someone would say 'yes - you can now get licences for apartments!'

I will keep my eyes peeled on the posts and bulletin!
Old 01-09-2008, 19:17

So the choice is long term rental or keep paying the mortgage on an empty house!
I would never risk renting out short term as we have always been on good terms with the neighbours, but as the housing market is so bleak.....

It's all very depressing.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Thank you Pinereto and Mariquita - I saw that letter.

I guess I was hoping someone would say 'yes - you can now get licences for apartments!'

I will keep my eyes peeled on the posts and bulletin!
GG, I am afraid it would not be as easy as that. As I understand it, in order to apply for a holiday-let licence for your apartment would require the whole of your community to vote in favour of holiday lets. This decision would then have to be formally notarised. The likelyhood of all your co-owners agreeing would be unlikely, especially if for some it is their permanent home and for others it is a regular second-home.
Old 02-09-2008, 13:23

Urbutis summarises the situation pretty well by the sound of things!
Old 05-12-2008, 13:18

I was under the impression that it is only illegal to rent out if the property is classified as 'residential'.
Old 05-12-2008, 17:31

So what is the definition of residential then? Surely it just means that it is available for habitation by people and has all the necessary amenities? Is there a different, more legal definition?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09

Default Daily Bulletin today

Old homes check every 10 yrs
Staff Reporter

PALMA
THE Balearic government yesterday approved a proposal which would give local authorities the right to access properties more than half a century old for structural checks every ten years. The government also wants a registry of rental contracts in such properties created.

Jaume Carbonero, regional Minister for Housing and Public Works, said yesterday after a cabinet meeting that the draft law will mean that the Balearic Islands will no longer be the only region of the country where local authority checks of this nature are not obligatory.

Carbonero is to recommend to the Balearic Parliament that the bylaw be extended to the whole of region as currently, it is only in force in Palma.